Payne Haas Arrested

So Payne Haas is being represented by a lawyer who is currently facing charges of money laundering, fraud and numerous drug offences..

jerry seinfeld coffee GIF
Friend of a friend I assume.

He keeps great company. Probably angling for a release..

We should swap him for tino. Would you do that deal @The Don

Yeah agreed... is it literally the police officer was scared because there was a hulk in front of them... or does the charge suggest he threatened to harm them?

Seems improbable that a guy threatening to harm a police office then immediately calms down and is happy to be cuffed without resisting... he's a fucking giant so any sort of resisting would require multiple officers to take him down to the ground.

I'd imagine if there is a pack of police officers (assume there would be if there was a brawl happening nearby) they will just back the story of whichever officer felt 'intimidated' and if there is no footage then it will be he said / she said.

The intimidation charge seems a beat up to me that falls squarely witnesses as evidence... maybe some of our resident legal eagles can explain it to me 😬 😬
This is the offence provision (from what I could find):

CRIMES ACT 1900 - SECT 545B​

Intimidation or annoyance by violence or otherwise

545B Intimidation or annoyance by violence or otherwise​

(1) Whosoever--
(a) with a view to compel any other person to abstain from doing or to do any act which such other person has a legal right to do or abstain from doing, or
(b) in consequence of such other person having done any act which the other person had a legal right to do or having abstained from doing any act which that other person had a legal right to abstain from doing,
wrongfully and without legal authority--
(i) uses violence or intimidation to or toward such other person or that other person's spouse, de facto partner, child, or dependant, or does any injury to that other person or to that other person's spouse, de facto partner, child, or dependant, or
(ii) follows such other person about from place to place, or
(iii) hides any tools, clothes, or other property owned or used by such other person, or deprives that other person of or hinders that other person in the use thereof, or
(v) follows such other person with two or more other persons in a disorderly manner in or through any street, road, or public place,
is liable, on conviction before the Local Court, to imprisonment for 2 years, or to a fine of 50 penalty units, or both.
(1A) To avoid any doubt, for the purposes of subsection (1)--
(a) a person who uses intimidation to coerce a person to have a termination performed, including for the purposes of sex selection, is taken to have used intimidation to compel the person to have the termination, and
(b) a person who uses intimidation to coerce a person to not have a termination performed is taken to have used intimidation to prevent the person having the termination.
(2) In this section--

"Intimidation" means the causing of a reasonable apprehension of injury to a person or to the person's spouse, de facto partner, child or dependant, or of violence or damage to any person or property, and
"intimidate" has a corresponding meaning.

"Injury" includes any injury to a person in respect of the person's property, business, occupation, employment, or other source of income, and also includes any actionable wrong of any nature.

It will be interesting to see what evidence they rely upon to support the intimidation charge.

I'm not sure I can agree with you here. Payne can be ashamed of the way he acted, e.g. telling a cop to **** off, while refuting the charges laid or seeking clarity with regards to whether his actions amounted to the crimes alleged. At this stage we don't know what his actions were or what consequences he's being asked to accept, legal or otherwise.

Retaining a lawyer who makes a statement intended to head off the scum-sucking NRL media, including the Courier Mail who deliberately phrased their headline to mislead the reader into believing Payne had been involved in a brawl, and other sources who were claiming he'd assaulted his partner is not the same as refusing to accept the consequences. If and when the full story comes out Payne can make an appropriate statement, assisted by his lawyer if need be. As the charges laid in this instance don't speak of high crimes and misdemeanours I'm perfectly happy as a fan with the decision to not make further comment or decide on any punishment before the facts are known and any trial finished.
He's admitted he fucked up, he's ashamed and remorseful , he knows he's done wrong, he's prepared to take ownership of his actions, not my words, supposedly his, according to the Broncos CEO, I never mentioned anything about him being involved in a brawl or punching his missus lights out, my post, as I said , is based on Paul Whites interview, thats it , he gets his day in court to clear his name or cop what's coming to him, also never mentioned anything about high crimes, I specifically mentioned minor indiscretion in my previous post, so don't up the anti on me, I hope he is all good for his and the Broncos sake, all we can do is see what happens once he fronts court with his crooked lawyer, and I am fine with you not agreeing with me, that's the good thing about this forum we can have our own opinions and cop shit from those that disagree with us.

Walters on Haas

“Certainly, Petero will be spending some time with Payne,” Walters said.

“He’s done that already but he’ll be spending more time with him.

“That’s one of the reasons Petero is in our staff now because he’s good with players and good with people.

“What happens on the field, is equally important with what happens off the field.

“It’s all of our responsibility to get around Payne and support him and making sure he’s taking the right steps so that it never happens again.”

“I, like everyone else at the Broncos, am disappointed with the actions of Payne the other night,” he said.

“We’ve got to make sure Payne learns from this and he’s put up his hand and admitted he’s made a mistake.

“I don’t consider it a setback.

“It’s one of those things that have happened and one we have to own as a club.

“We’re trying to get everything right with the NRL Integrity Unit to make sure it’s done quickly, efficiently and promptly.”
Good response from Kev. Backs the player without downplaying his idiocy.

In all seriousness, I think this incident should result in Payne losing his starting spot. Patty and Lodge can start. Haas should have to earn it back through our performing either of those two on and off the field - which shouldn’t be an easy feat.

But can also be activated manually without them being used.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Sproj
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jazza
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • KateBroncos1812
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Maroon4life
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
  • westy316
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.