PLAYER Payne Haas

Chooks it is I reckon. They’ll have quite the forward pack with Haas, Collins and Leniu. Add, Smith, Radley, Sitili, and the Butchers, and the star studded backline they have quite the team. Nothin suss. Gordon’s head is gonna explode.

Disagree.
Payne is top of priority. The club would have been looking at the books and seeing how they were going to fit Payne in long-term. As such there would have been a squeeze on what could be offered to other players moving forward. It’s a gamble, and looks like it may well not come off now. Thats why I’d be putting a timeframe on him so that we don’t lose anyone else whilst Payne sits on his hands. Theres nothing to say payne will even make a decision this year on his future.

If we had have offered them the sort of money that they got from the Phins and Titans ... Then the outrage from BHQ alone would have imploded the forum.

I’ve gone from thinking Payne would stay to 99.9% convinced he’s gone.
Unfortunately as a result of thinking we would have retained him we lost Keenan and Fleggs in the process. No doubt due to cap space to ensure we keep the stars like Payne. For this reason, put a timeframe on him. Get it sorted one way or another. No release for next year, and also remind him that we shouldn’t have granted him the upgrade that we gave him last year to remain happy.
Try not reading the press or BHQ. It's been a year of angst based on pure speculation with both Payne and his current superagent telling us there's no hurry, so quit bugging them. Kevvie is always going to say the players are staying with the club - as he should - so I wouldn't take much notice of him.

The best estimate of him making a decision is after the finals. But no one knows. We're all making shit up and guessing. Some more cynical than others.

I worry what is really a non-issue is detracting from us enjoying our record-breaking season. Some of the negative comments towards him are really quite unwarranted. He is still OUR GUY until further notice.

Still think Haas is more likely to sign with us than anyone else, this is just media driven nonsense, the amount of money we are offering plus how good we are combined with his family situation, we tick all the boxes.

Union is the most realistic alternative because only they can blow our offer out the water and provide a club in SEQ to play in but no NRL team that is competitive will be able to offer much more than what we have, and the money we are offering isn't even outrageous imo, I think as a percentage given the new cap 1.2 million would still be worth it for us soo long as it means the contract length is long like 5 years.

People keep saying this but what does it really mean? Why would it cost you $250k+ a year more to live in Sydney?
The biggest difference is Houses and Road tolls, you could get a much nicer house in a better area of Brisbane for cheaper than the price of a worse house in a mid area of Sydney.

Alot of Broncos players live on the Coast, given he is from there he probably still lives there now, the closest alternative here in Sydney would be Northern Beaches which you would be paying double for the same type of property, forget about Eastern Suburbs, at best you will get a shoe box for the price of a McMansion on the coast with it's own wharf.

Given houses tend to be where most people's money goes this day that's what everyone generally refers to.

I think we'll see Haas in a Roosters jersey unforunately. They're about to shed a lot of cap and have a billionaire to boot.

Curt Kapewell:
“I don’t want to tackle Payne, that’s for sure. I’d love to see him stay. He’s done great things for this club when he was going through a tough time. The Broncos have also stood by him when he was going through tough times. I think he loves the club. He loves the supporters. He loves his teammates. Hopefully we can get the job done and keep him here.”​
“I am not too sure if he'd handle a move to Sydney. Payne is a terrific bloke. His family is here and I think he is a terrific suit for the Broncos. Everyone loves him here. I am not sure about where he is at with all that. It is up to him and his management. One thing about Payne is that he never lets anyone down. Even with it all going on in the background he is one of our best, if not our best, every weekend. He never misses training and is always around the boys. He is a great bloke to have around the club. It is a credit to him that he doesn’t let this stuff rattle him.”​

If Payne were to leave I'll be pretty disappointed that we lost Palasia, everytime Payne has been out Keenan has stepped in and stepped up along with Jensen. Keenan would of left because he seen Flegler and Payne Infront of him and probably is only on about a quarter of what Payne's asking if he's not getting game time at the Titans and Payne goes I'll happily take him back.
Keenan will come off contract at the end of 25. As long as the relationship remains good we could always bring him back.

Source: NRL.com.au
Corey Rosser NRL Reporter
Wed 9 Aug 2023, 05:02 PM

In 2023 Payne Haas is doing more with the ball than ever before, while at the same time being on track to commit the fewest errors of any NRL regular this season.

While increased ball movement naturally means more risk of mistakes, Haas has nailed the delicate balancing act all year, making just one error in 1072 minutes of NRL football to date and doing so alongside an offload rate which has him third in the competition with 39.

The 23-year-old's ball retention record is unmatched in terms of players with more than 1000 minutes of game time this season, while among the NRL's top offloaders it puts him in a league of his own.

Of the top 10 offloaders in the competition, Eels prop Junior Paulo is the only other player with fewer than seven errors this season, with the top two – J'maine Hopgood and Bryce Cartwright – both having error rates in the double digits.

The ability of Haas, alongside the likes of teammate Patrick Carrigan, to keep the ball alive in tackles has been a key driver in Brisbane's rise to become minor premiership contenders, and on the back of it players like Reece Walsh and Ezra Mam have flourished.

Heading into Friday night's clash with the Eels at The Gabba – in which Haas will celebrate his 100th NRL game – his lack of other negative metrics stands out too.

Among players who have played 18 or more games this season the NSW bopper ranks third for fewest missed tackles behind Wests Tigers duo Alex Twal and David Klemmer.

Of the 552 tackles he's attempted this year he's failed to make just nine.

On the disciplinary front he's been excellent too, with his four penalties conceded being the least among players with 1000+ minutes on the field.

With Brisbane's final bye still to come, Haas is in the frame to top the NRL for post-contact metres gained in 2023 – currently leading that category with an average of 72 per game – while he's on track to be the top forward in terms of metres gained this year as well.

---
Pay the man.

Lowest error rate comp wide.
Lowest 6 again/penalty rate comp wide.
3rd for offloads.
9 missed tackles out of 552.
6th most decoy runs in the game
11th for tackle breaks
1st for run metres and PCM as a forward

Sooooo are the NRL gonna step in and tell him that that's actually not allowed under the salary cap???

Bloke might be the dumbest **** in the game... and that is a low fucking bar to be beating

why would they .... they didn't step in when Brandon Smith and his agent said the same thing before joining the Roosters

Active Now

• scobie
  • mrslong
  • Rambstien
  • marw
  • Aldo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Alec
  • Robboi_321
  • Wolfie
  • Broncorob
  • Fitzy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Jedhead
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Manofoneway
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Astro
  • Jazza
  • Midean
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.