Pick the WCC 2017 Side

My problem with Macca and McGuire playing most likely 80 minutes is only one is a very good defender. Play Arrow with Macca and it gives you two good defenders out in the middle for most of the match.

McGuire for lock but to be rotating with tpj , i think that could work for a bit. TPJ for a stint for 20 + min.

I'm not sold on Moose at lock either to be honest... not sure about Arrow either. I'd prefer to see Gillett there, although he is half our right side defense by himself.

I personally still like the idea of Glenn starting at lock and then interchanging with TPJ.

I say leave McGuire at prop and develop TPJ.

My problem with Macca and McGuire playing most likely 80 minutes is only one is a very good defender. Play Arrow with Macca and it gives you two good defenders out in the middle for most of the match.
Total tackles made Last year macca (853) and mcguire (796). They were 1 and 2 for total tackles made. And only avg 1.5 and 1.4 missed tackles a game respectively. Macca avg. 67mins per game and mcguire avg. 58mins.

FYI.

We have 3 young forwards with huge potential. TPJ, Arrow and Sua.
It was no surprise when WB through Arrow into the game before TPJ when he needed the middle solid at the end of last season

Total tackles made Last year macca (853) and mcguire (796). They were 1 and 2 for total tackles made. And only avg 1.5 and 1.4 missed tackles a game respectively. Macca avg. 67mins per game and mcguire avg. 58mins.

FYI.
If you watch McGuire he is a lot like Webke in that he arrives after initial contact and gets credited with a tackle
Leave him at prop

We have 3 young forwards with huge potential. TPJ, Arrow and Sua.
It was no surprise when WB through Arrow into the game before TPJ when he needed the middle solid at the end of last season

I would throw Fai and Ese'ese into the mix.

Actually think Fai will have his breakthrough year this year.

I rate him higher than Ofa.

Speaking of Macca most likely playing 80... how do people see that playing out? Do we play him for 80 and not put an out and out utility's on the bench instead using four forwards? Or do we give him a ten minute break and then use marshal/nicko as cover and impact late in the game? Then do we use another interchange bringing off the untilty for maccas after just ten minutes or do you leave the fresh utility out there and bring Macca back on for a forward which leaves us lacking size in the middle?

I always find it interesting the way coaches use the utility/hooker especially when you have a guy capable of playing 80 like Macca.

Gee Sims really ripped in last night though!

Actually think Fai will have his breakthrough year this year.

I rate him higher than Ofa.

I see them as being quite different. I also really rate Fai, really really. I think Joffa is a starting prop though who will churn out the workrate, maybe more like a Tolman type.

Fai is more an impact forward who actually provides a lot of impact, something I feel this side is kind of missing outside TPJ.

I personally favour four forwards on the bench and I would go:

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Glenn
15. TPJ
16. Fai
17. Sims

With Joffa coming in during rep season for McG/Blair in the starting side and Ese'ese/Dodds next in for the bench.

I see them as being quite different. I also really rate Fai, really really. I think Joffa is a starting prop though who will churn out the workrate, maybe more like a Tolman type.

Fai is more an impact forward who actually provides a lot of impact, something I feel this side is kind of missing outside TPJ.

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Glenn
15. TPJ
16. Fai
17. Sims

With Joffa coming in during rep season for McG/Blair in the starting side and Ese'ese/Dodds next in for the bench.
I like the look of this. Personally I wouldn't play Benji as a utility either

Whenever you watch these trials, all you want to see is the big plays and a few players throwing their names into the hat. The Broncos had a few of those players last night, but the one who impressed me the most was the #13. Granted, he wasn't smashing halfbacks into another galaxy or steaming onto inside passes after a big break, but he was the only one looking to get his hands dirty in the ruck.

One of my biggest issues with the Broncos is that they're far too passive in the ruck. Not only do they roll out the red carpet, they don't try to win the contest and will just let the opposition find their front and steam roll through. Arrow was the only player I saw make a conscious effort to try and get the better of the opponent and put on clean hits.

I think Wayne is going to change tact and shift McGuire to 13 so he can have another bid body in the middle. However, the Broncos middle third is going to be soft and I expect some embarrassing tries in 2017.

8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Arrow

14. Glenn
15. TPJ
16. Fai
17. Sims

A lot of good points here.

Still not totally convinced on Ofa, but he is still young for a prop so still time to show he can make it.

Saw a lot of good offloads in both the 9s and the trial as well which was promising!

Whenever you watch these trials, all you want to see is the big plays and a few players throwing their names into the hat. The Broncos had a few of those players last night, but the one who impressed me the most was the #13. Granted, he wasn't smashing halfbacks into another galaxy or steaming onto inside passes after a big break, but he was the only one looking to get his hands dirty in the ruck.

One of my biggest issues with the Broncos is that they're far too passive in the ruck. Not only do they roll out the red carpet, they don't try to win the contest and will just let the opposition find their front and steam roll through. Arrow was the only player I saw make a conscious effort to try and get the better of the opponent and put on clean hits.

I think Wayne is going to change tact and shift McGuire to 13 so he can have another bid body in the middle. However, the Broncos middle third is going to be soft and I expect some embarrassing tries in 2017.
I don't McGuire as a big body and personally he may be the player I would let go at the end of his contract. Tough choice

I just having a feeling this might be his last year with us...

I don't McGuire as a big body and personally he may be the player I would let go at the end of his contract. Tough choice

McGuire is on the precipices, either he'll graduate and become the next Corey Parker or will remain at his current level and become the next Hannant.

If it's the latter, Bennett has to consider the future. Have we seen everything this 08 batch is capable of? Is it time to move on and usher in a new culture?

It was a tough choice in 1990, even tougher in 96 and in 17 it hasn't gotten any easier.

Herman eseese look good last night. I think arrow play good. His defence was good last night. The way Arrow contact with other team player and wrestle them to ground was good. Joe was trying hard last night. But he is not having same impact like tpg and Eseese last night.

Active Now

• The Don
  • BroncoFan94
  • Lurker
  • Strop
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Fozz
  • Dash
  • Culhwch
  • BroncosAlways
  • TimWhatley
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • leon.bott
  • Sproj
  • Harry Sack
  • MrMoore
  • Fitzy
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.