Player Movements and Rumours 2012

I reckon we should convince Sam Tomkins to give the NRL a crack. I know it is only Super League but he scored 28 tries and setup 33 this year. That is crazy for a fullback!

Finally a name I can get behind! That kid looked amazing in the 4 nations.

Too bad he can only start talking to NRL clubs at the end of 2014.

The new deal will cover Seasons 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 and includes an assurance that the player will not speak to either Rugby Union nor the NRL during a defined period of the term (Three Years) .

Last edited:
Finally a name I can get behind! That kid looked amazing in the 4 nations.

Too bad he can only start talking to NRL clubs at the end of 2014.

Sam Tomkins is a pipe dream, for a few reasons in my opinion.

1. I just really couldn't see the broncos signing someone from super league. Apparently they won't even sign people outside of QLD now, so the likelihood of them signing someone from across international waters seems remote.

2. If Tomkins puts his hand up and says he wants to sign with an NRL club he would be getting big money offers from everywhere and I just can't see how the broncs could compete with the money on the table (nor would I want them to personally).

3. For as great a player he is, he will not be available until 2017... that's a long way away and I simply can't believe, or realistically see that we would not have an already well established and competent FB by then. I mean that is 4 years away, and I know alot of us (myself included) have questioned the hoff's ability and the clubs ability to recognise a deficiency if there is one; but taking all that aside it simply seems to ridiculous that they will not have remedied this by then. Come 2017 either Hoffman will have proved that this was just a really off year for him (that wasn't helped by the fact his head was used as a human pinata) and will have established himself as one of the top FB's in the game - or management will have realised it's not gonna work and we would have made other plans.

No one wants him for 2017, we want him for next year.

If we can negotiate a release well why not? You can never have too many quality players.

No one wants him for 2017, we want him for next year.

If we can negotiate a release well why not? You can never have too many quality players.

There's a clause there that he can't leave Super League until the end of 2014. Now, of course that would be negotiable, all contract terms are. But it would necessitate a big payment probably to his club and/or the ESL themselves to get that release.

Not gonna happen.

I'd probably rate him as the 3rd best fullback, behind Inglis and Slater. Possibly 4th behind Hayne too, when he's got his head in the game.

There's a clause there that he can't leave Super League until the end of 2014. Now, of course that would be negotiable, all contract terms are. But it would necessitate a big payment probably to his club and/or the ESL themselves to get that release.

Not gonna happen.

The same way we got Hannant early by negotiating a release? :winky:
Unlikely but don't know unless you try.

Bit different. Hannant had 1 year to go I think. Tomkins just signed a 5 year deal at the end of last year.
Well we can still try. Give them Norman and Hoffman or something :P

I think signing anyone is a pipe dream at this stage.

To be honest, I hope we avoid what appears to be a reasonably rampant feeling (on a number of forums) that there should be a compulsion for the broncos to go out in the market and buy players. If a quality player comes up in a position that we need strengthening, then go for it. But if the option is to buy nuffies who just eat up salary cap space (looking in the general direction of Luke Capewell and Scott Andersen) then I would prefer we just stick with what we have.

No one wants us to buy nuffies, only marquee type players to fill positions we suck in.

Capewell isn't actually eating into our cap at all. He's recognized under the secondary cap which actually makes him a bit of a bargain given his versatility & skill-set.

I don't rate him but can't begrudge the club signing him on that deal.

Anderson on the other hand...

Last edited:
I'd like to see is buy a gun halfback or a young up and coming halfback. I don't want us to buy bits and pieces players.

I reckon they just bought Wallace based on the one game they saw him play - Panthers vs Broncos obviously, where he kicked the field goal to win the game.

I remember we signed him before that.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Muros
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • heartly87
  • Gaz
  • NSW stables
  • RolledOates
  • Big Del
  • Lazza
  • cento
  • Wild Horse
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Allo
  • Astro
  • Xzei
  • Manofoneway
  • Wolfie
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.