Player Movements and Rumours 2012

I know I got a bit of flaming for this suggestion earlier in the year but we could do a lot worse than getting Reece Robinson back.

He is a different player to when he left and every time he goes to fullback for the Raiders he looks the goods. The pass he held up for Ferguson to score last night had a touch of class about it.

He wouldn't be on much, I reckon around the 150k mark, certainly looks a cut above anyone we were bringing in this year and capable of forcing his way into the side.

He'd be the most improved player in the game by a fair margin IMO. I reckon he'd move from Canberra to somewhere offering him a fullback gig after the way he played this year and with Dugan in his way at the moment. Certainly no objections from me.

Wouldn't be a bad signing but it would have to be made with the thought that Hoffman won't cut it as fullback.

I know I got a bit of flaming for this suggestion earlier in the year but we could do a lot worse than getting Reece Robinson back.

He's come a long way, I reakon he's a better fullback than Dugan (smarter at least).

Some of his ball playing this year has been delicious, stuff we'll probably see very little of from Hoffman.

Last edited:
To be honest, I hope we avoid what appears to be a reasonably rampant feeling (on a number of forums) that there should be a compulsion for the broncos to go out in the market and buy players. If a quality player comes up in a position that we need strengthening, then go for it. But if the option is to buy nuffies who just eat up salary cap space (looking in the general direction of Luke Capewell and Scott Andersen) then I would prefer we just stick with what we have.

I think that's how pretty much everyone on this forum feels about the broncos playing stocks atm ... I don't think anyone is plumbing for a cleanout, just one or two shrewd signings to address weaknesses - but only if the right player for the job is available.

that's the message that seems to have been lost in translation a bit ...

I would be glad to have Robinson back on board, but is even off contract?

Robinson has only just lobbed at the Raiders .... i'd expect they'd have him locked away by now anyway.

Robinson really proved me (and just about everyone I'd say) wrong with a really good year but gee I'd be hesitant to go out of my way to sign him just yet.

I wouldn't begrudge us signing him because he could just as easily slot onto the wing but he's not the marquee signing we need.

Robinson really proved me (and just about everyone I'd say) wrong with a really good year but gee I'd be hesitant to go out of my way to sign him just yet.

I wouldn't begrudge us signing him because he could just as easily slot onto the wing but he's not the marquee signing we need.

When Reece debuted for us he didn't seem to offer much so who knows, maybe Hoffman can be like that and somehow find some attacking ability like Reece did this year (though I certainly am not counting on it).

However, I'm not really keen on the idea. I mean, if he fell into our laps then sure, but I don't think injecting Reece into our spine is really going to turn it into a premiership winning spine. I don't think Reece is really a game breaker in the mould of Inglis, Thurston, Barba or Shaun Johnson, and that's what our spine truly needs.

Somebody mentioned they didn't like the idea of us signing every player that pops up on the market, and even though Reece is not (on the market), he's the kind of player I think they were referring to. I'd need to see at least another season from him before I think he's anything more than an average player who simply had some great form for half a season.

Robinson has been pretty good pretty much ever since he joined the Raiders, and he still seems to be getting better...but I remember his lolworthy performances for us, like when his runs actually managed to lose ground about 90% of the time.

Broncos coach Anthony Griffin spies Dolphin Joe Bond for a one year deal

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-a-one-year-deal/story-e6frep76-1226476804647

REDCLIFFE Dolphins fullback Joe Bond still struggles to believe that Broncos coach Anthony Griffin asked to meet him.

Bond stands only 175cm and weighs 76kg. He never made a representative team growing up and did not take league seriously until he finished high school.

When the Dolphins clash with Wynnum Manly in Sunday's Intrust Super Cup grand final, Bond has the chance to show everyone why Griffin requested a meeting and then signed him to a one-year contract.

"The Broncos stuff all came out of the blue," Bond said. "Anthony Griffin just called me and said he wanted to meet and it went from there.

"We had a good talk and he was honest about what I needed to improve and the task ahead and he made me feel a lot more at ease."

Bond, 24, is a former touch footballer, a Norths Devils junior who was not particularly interested in becoming an NRL player until his late teens.

"I was always the smallest bloke on every team so I never made any schoolboys or underage teams," Bond said.

"I was mainly playing touch footy and mucking around with league a bit but it wasn't until I was 17 or so, after high school, that I started taking it seriously."

Bond left the Devils for the Dolphins at the start of last year seeking greater opportunity.

"I was injured for most of 2010 and I didn't know if there was much chance at the Devils with the backline they had and when John Dixon gave me a call I jumped at the chance," he said.

"We have had a great year and this game will be the highlight of my career so far. The team's been creating space for me and that's helped me a lot."

Redcliffe have handed captaincy duties to Isaak Ah Mau, replacing the injured Chris Farrell, who suffered a broken jaw in the major semi-final 10 days ago.

Wynnum Manly have named Charlie Gubb despite the prop facing a one-week suspension if the QRL judiciary hearing tonight finds him guilty of a dangerous throw charge.

Meanwhile Tweed Heads Seagulls have lodged an official complaint with the Queensland Rugby League alleging Titans-contracted prop Ryan James was the victim of racial abuse at Redcliffe in the opening round of the finals.

Good work by the Courier Mail to put a Photo of Maurie Kennedy with the story instead of Joe Bond...

Active Now

• Painin the Haas
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manofoneway
  • Aldo
  • ezpz
  • Old Mate
  • Wild Horse
  • Big Del
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Bucking Beads
  • Skyblues87
  • Gaz
  • pennywisealfie
  • theshed
  • Wolfie
  • broncotville
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Sproj
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Purple Pills
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.