Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
GCBRONCO said:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26951306-5002381,00.html

Melbourne Rebels seek ARU assistance in bid to sign Israel Folau
By Bret Harris and Brent Read
April 07, 2010 After signing New South Wales Waratahs hooker Adam Freier, speculation continues to rise that Melbourne Rebels are chasing rugby league star Israel Folau.

The Broncos believe they have a guarantee from Folau's management that he will see out the remaining two years of his contract, but the speculation about the Rebels will not go away.

Rebels chief executive Brian Waldron, who previously worked for the Storm, indicated Melbourne would be interested in Folau if the ARU provided him with a top-up.

Folau would provide the Rebels with strike power in the backline as well as a known face in the Melbourne sporting market.

But the ARU and the Rebels would have to match the $400,000 a year Folau is currently earning in rugby league.

"Any interest in any rugby league player of any significance has to be determined by the ARU," Waldron said.

"If the ARU was interested, every province would be interested."

I thought the main reason why Izzy signed with Brisbane was because he wanted to come home to be close to his family?? [icon_shru

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah, I think the Rebels are just trying to create some interest and start generating a media profile. Waldron being their CEO would lead rumors of all current and former Storm players being a target.

B

broncos777

NYC Player
Apr 6, 2010
Im not saying I would but I would just like to find out Broncos fans thoughts on signing Luke O'donell from the cows?

Could be another handy player. I heard he was looking for a move and that the Knights are chasing him!

L

lyn

QCup Player
May 6, 2008
broncos777 said:
Im not saying I would but I would just like to find out Broncos fans thoughts on signing Luke O'donell from the cows?

Could be another handy player. I heard he was looking for a move and that the Knights are chasing him!

I am a massive fan of his, god I hope he doesn't leave the cowboys. I would love him at the club but at the moment we are going really well with second rowers and Te'o, Gillett, Glenn are only going to improve with time.

Unless we fail to sign any good props or plan to move Thaiday into the front row as he is coming of age (just throwing that one out there haha) then I wouldn't go after him. His asking price would be quite high and I hate to sound like a broken record but I would rather us spend the money on a good prop like Lima for example who will be looking for a new club next year too.

But then again, after thinking of it for a bit It wouldn't be too bad. If we get Tronc and our front row of Tronc, Kenny, Anderson + Sims/a young fella can stand up and play to their ability then we may not need another prop. Especially considering the work rate of O'Donnell. But I don't want to gain him at the expense of any of our current backrowers, except Setu and maybe Sims. Ahh I am really stuck now. eusa_think

Would we be able to afford him? I think we would have to offload some people, especially if we get Tronc. I'm thinking Sims and/or Setu.

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I reckon James Tamou is the one you want from the Cows. He is young and raw but he's got something imo.

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
Roosters forums are reporting that they have signed Setu until 2012. I can't find anything on the net to support this though.

D

ddd

NRL Player
May 14, 2009
Clintos said:
Roosters forums are reporting that they have signed Setu until 2012. I can't find anything on the net to support this though.

Ah the joys of internet "reporting"

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Clintos said:

I did see something in the article from the Australian saying that we would release Setu if we got Tronc, but that has since been denied by the Broncos and Setu

Clintos

Clintos

State of Origin Rep
Apr 8, 2008
ddd said:
Clintos said:

Ah the joys of internet "reporting"

Haha.

Always entertaining,

J

joshobro

NYC Player
Jun 22, 2009
Hope it's true, we should get Aiden Guerra from them.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
John O'Neill calls code red on NRL converts

ISRAEL Folau and other NRL code-switchers will have to back themselves to play for the Wallabies to earn good money in rugby, with a wary ARU no longer interested in paying huge sums for league converts.

Speculation abounds the new Melbourne Rebels franchise are chasing 21-year-old Folau - a Kangaroo and former Storm centre - but any code switch will hinge on the ARU's willingness to fund most of his contract.

But the ARU is now very cautious about league raids after its last four star recruits - Wendell Sailor, Lote Tuqiri, Mat Rogers and Timana Tahu - eventually all returned to the NRL in acrimonious circumstances.

Instead of the $600,000-sized deals thrown at Tuqiri and Sailor, the ARU are now looking at testing a convert's desire to play rugby in future with an incentive-based contract. Substantial money will only start to flow if triggered by Wallaby selection.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 5851097651

I think it will be unlikely for any NRL player to head to union in Australia on an incentive based deal. The players that union will be interested will be able to earn substantially more staying tin the NRL that playing for an Australian rugby union club.

So, if this is the case i think that it is highly likely that Folau will stay with us

T

tkday

Banned User
Mar 10, 2010
To me this is good news for NRL, no?

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
its not that they are no longer interested, its that they cant afford it...

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
gUt said:
I reckon James Tamou is the one you want from the Cows. He is young and raw but he's got something imo.

icon_thumbs_u Yeah he looks a talent and is a big muther too.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
That rumour just won't go away will it ?

He's still playing good football too so would be a great acquisition for the club.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I'd be happy with Civo returning ...not only will he add some experience to or pack, but he will be a good mentor for our younger players

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
We need a good old head around. I'm not sure about 2 years at his age I think one year at a time is better but if anyone can do it he can. That being said I would much prefer Hannant because he's a lot younger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Ejbroncos
  • theshed
  • broncos4life
  • I bleed Maroon
  • heartly87
  • Manofoneway
  • FACTHUNT
  • scobie
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Harry Sack
  • Organix
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • Lurker
  • sooticus
  • BooKhaki
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.