Player Movements / Rumours 2011/2012

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Is anyone else as sick of the Bulldogs as me on here? What purpose do they serve? They just keep buying players... they can't go for a week without doing so. Even the Roosters actually have so home grown talent.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Harm is not in the title, how does it hurt the game if players move to other clubs? Club loyalty is practically dead these days, there's not much you can do to promote it unless salary cap rules are changes and there are exemptions for loyal players. It's not just Sydney teams doing it, it's all clubs. The game has evolved. It's more about money these days than playing for one club. It's the nature of the sport these days. Nothing to do with how Sydney teams pinch each others players and saturate the market.

Anyway, the only club that is dead weight is Cronulla. Small supporter base and they're in an area that pretty much have another 2 teams occupying it (St George and Souths). Always in a financial heap.

It's a problem because clubs pay abnormal prices to keep players and it affects the quality of their squad.

It's mostly a Sydney problem, or rather a NSW (and that includes ACT too apparently...) problem. The only club that's known for buying players outside of that region is the Titans, the rest actively develop or buy fringe first graders.

The game would be much better off IF the NRL allowed incentives for club loyalty & it should do everything to deter clubs from buying a s**t load of players.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Is anyone else as sick of the Bulldogs as me on here? What purpose do they serve? They just keep buying players... they can't go for a week without doing so. Even the Roosters actually have so home grown talent.

I don't blame them at all. This is a team who developed Willie Mason, Nate Myles, Sonny Bill Williams, Roy Asotasi, Steve Price and Jonathan Thurston. Think about that for a second. They are/were huge names now/in their day. And then the Roosters came along and bought half of them, and the NRL makes no efforts to reward that kind of development. So really, why the hell shouldn't the Bulldogs just buy talent?

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah you debated the topic but you couldn't resist the urge at a cheap dig.

I could be wrong. (which is highly unlikely)

I read it that Bucking Beads was having a go at Sydney.

You live in a fantasy land of tunnels, great night life, no passion and losing origin

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The Rock said:
You're stuck in the 80's champ. In this day and age, Penrith juniors don't just stay in Penrith, they may go elsewhere. Same with Campbelltown Juniors or Parramatta. It's pretty damn easy to take a quick turn down the road and head somewhere else in Sydney. Brisbane have the luxury of a big city all to themselves, so your chance of retaining a Brisbane juniour is pretty awesome. Same with Townsville. Where else would they go? NZ is also another example.

My point exactly.

Hence why, Sydney have too many teams and you wouldn't see so many transfers IF they didn't and if we expanded the game.

When the game grows and we bring more teams in, I just hope we let struggling Sydney clubs rot & die.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I don't blame them at all. This is a team who developed Willie Mason, Nate Myles, Sonny Bill Williams, Roy Asotasi, Steve Price and Jonathan Thurston.

Didn't Mason play in the Newcastle Knights junior competition.

Qlder

Qlder

May 29, 2012
Haha 2 NRL teams "saturating" Brisbane? Mate obviously you have no idea about Brisbane.

Another team in the western/Ipswich corridor or in the Logan area would be EXCELLENT for growth...

These areas are die hard with bursting population, they would welcome a local team with open arms, and the rivalry with the Broncos?...WOW!

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Yep, a team in Ipswich would be great IMO, or Logan for that matter but is there even any stadiums in those areas?

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
They'd play at Suncorp.

Which is fine for now, but especially if it's in the Ipswich/Logan corridor I could see some benefit in having a stadium in that local area. Particularly around Flagstone where they're building a satellite city. Or even Springfield. Call it Springfield War Memorial Stadium.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Flagstone stadium would be handy I'd almost change teams

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I get what you mean Coxy.

But wouldn't one of the big selling points of having another South Qld side be more matches at Suncorp?

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Scheduling nightmare due to the roar and reds playing games there. It would be awesome to see a game every weekend

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Perrett has officially been released to the Dogs.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
My point exactly.

Hence why, Sydney have too many teams and you wouldn't see so many transfers IF they didn't and if we expanded the game.

When the game grows and we bring more teams in, I just hope we let struggling Sydney clubs rot & die.

Agreed and as for the comment about being stuck in the 80's and Brisbane having the luxury of a big city to themselves, Rocky I think you may want to revisit the history of the 80's, Canberra alone for example were choker block full of Queenslanders especially rep stars even before the Broncos entered the competition(and the hypocrisy about it is that the NSWRL clubs didn't give a shit about what the impact that would have on the Brisbane competition, no surprise they started to get shitty when Queensland based clubs entered their competition and these players actually had the choice to stay and still play in the NSWRL competition) and the southern teams ability to still tap into the the Queensland player market exists, plenty of quality players exist up here in the Queensland Cup that the three Queensland NRL sides can't keep, hell if Melbourne can do it why aren't the other clubs? Its just another excuse to justify not addressing the real problems that having so many teams in Sydney produces and instead blaming it elsewhere and I'm sick of the southern clubs, media and fans forever whinging about how "unfair" it is when they aren't prepared to do what really needs to be done.

Last edited:

Active Now

• TimWhatley
  • Bucking Beads
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Sproj
  • Behold
  • Fozz
  • mieko
  • RolledOates
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • ChewThePhatt
  • winslow_wong
  • Manlyman
  • Big Del
  • Galah
  • Aldo
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.