THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
There is a lot of discussion on whether Kevvie Walters should remain the Coach at the Broncos. And rightly so. But in all decision making discussions, emotion and sentiments need to be removed, and what needs to be looked at are the hard cold facts ….the underlying data.

In football there are a couple of factors that distinguish whether the club (team) has been successful. Here are a couple.
  1. For most clubs (& fans), each year gets a “Pass Mark” if they make the Finals. These are the stats for all the Broncos Coaches, on making the Finals for each year they coached at the Broncos.
    1. Wayne Bennett (1988 – 2008, & 2015 – 2018) – Made the Finals 22 years out of 25 years … a pass mark for 88% of the years at Brisbane.
    2. Ivan Henjak (2009 – 2010) – Made the Finals 1 out of 2 years…50% of years.
    3. Anthony Griffin (2011 – 2014) – Made the Finals 3 out of 4 years …75% of years.
    4. Anthony Seibold (2019 – 2020) – Made the Finals 1 out of 2 years…50% of years.
    5. Kevin Walters (2021 – 2024) – Made the Finals 1 out of 4 years…25% of years. This is by far the worst of all Broncos Coaches.
  2. A Coach is considered successful by how many games they win during their tenure at the club. This is the percentage of games won whilst at Brisbane.
    1. Wayne Bennett – 63% of games won
    2. Ivan Henjak – 52%.
    3. Anthony Griffin – 53%.
    4. Anthony Seibold – 36%.
    5. Kevin Walters – 51% ….The second worst winning stat at the Broncos.
  3. Sometimes the winning percentage of a coach comes down to their last season at the club.
    1. Wayne Bennett (2018) – 60% of games won
    2. Ivan Henjak (2010) – 45%….Sacked.
    3. Anthony Griffin (2014) – 48%….Sacked.
    4. Anthony Seibold (2020) – 23%….Sacked.
    5. Kevin Walters (2024) – 43% …. The second worst winning stat at the Broncos
The Broncos Management have obviously set benchmarks as to what the club wants and expects. If they are not being achieved, then the Club needs to take action.

Was Kevin Walters successful as Head Coach at his previous major club? He was Head Coach at the Catalan Dragons in the Super League in UK (2009 – 2010). Made the Finals 50% of the years, an average winning percentage of 39% of games, and in his last year at Catalan won 29% of games …. And won the Wooden Spoon for that year. Note that the Catalan Dragons finished 3rd the previous year to Kevins arrival.

The Broncos Players must also take responsibility for the team’s performance, and plenty of them need to take a hard look at their performance, attitude and effort this year, and decide if they are providing value for the money they are being paid. However, ….
The Players are held responsible by the Coach.
The Coach is held responsible by the Club.
The Club is held responsible by their Fans!!!

Lastly, at the start of each person’s journey (Player, Coach, Administrator), they must each ask themselves …What do they want their legacy to be? What do they want to be known for when they leave the club?

For Kevvie, the Stats, the Data, the hard cold facts, show he is the worst or second worst coach ever at the Broncos, and is becoming an embarrassment to the Club and himself. It is time for him and the club to go in a new direction…..separately.

Old saying…. Never accept or reward mediocrity.

....Well, isn't that a fucking napalm of a first post.

Welcome sir.

Geez, a belated full support of the board. Kev’s doomsday clock just reached 15 minutes to “calling on European Cybercrime Super Sleuths”

Here I was thinking (based on what Kev said) that i t wasn’t a disappointing year at all.

One bad game turns the whole year into ”disappointing” status?

I saw Dave at the Broncos v Cows NRLW match at Easts last week.

Unfortunately I didn’t get the chance to tell him how much of a fake fan I am, before he disappeared…

I’ll try harder next time!

It's absolutely a problem. The club was going to let Kev cop it, let the media speculate , until they were forced to say something to back him.
They chose not to get in front of it and lends weight to Tallis' claim that they haven't backed him from day 1.
This is a huge publicly listed business with media managers, theres no way they weren't advised to to do this earlier.
If it's not an issue though then why would they need to answer something like it?

It's only an issue if you assume it is an issue.

If it's not an issue though then why would they need to answer something like it?

It's only an issue if you assume it is an issue.
I don't think its much of an assumption at all.
Reyno publicly backs Kev on Tuesday after Gordies comments and no one at the club jumps on board with that ?
They wait until Crawley calls them out.
Only 1 reason for it, they weren't going to unless they were cornered.
You must think DD is a complete dumby.

I don't think its much of an assumption at all.
Reyno publicly backs Kev on Tuesday after Gordies comments and no one at the club jumps on board with that ?
They wait until Crawley calls them out.
Only 1 reason for it, they weren't going to unless they were cornered.
You must think DD is a complete dumby.
No I just think it's as meaningless as the made up topics you see on any given NRL 360 broadcast.

DD can sack Kevvie with or without publicly supporting him, it's as worthless as the Zimbabwe dollar, it's just shit Journos stir up because that's their job.

No I just think it's as meaningless as the made up topics you see on any given NRL 360 broadcast.

DD can sack Kevvie with or without publicly supporting him, it's as worthless as the Zimbabwe dollar, it's just shit Journos stir up because that's their job.
Nah, not in this case, it was a fair call from Crawley.
Kev was getting it from every which way and the club just goes to ground.
I think it was telling and I was waiting for the club to back him.
I don't think Kev has lost the dressing room but I do believe he has lost the confidence of the board.

I'm not sure what J.D. is up to. JD does know this club inside out. I'm sure, like Seibold, JD has had time to reflect and learn. I'd like to see JD on the coaching staff, but that would threaten Big Kev.

He's less qualified than Kev.

It's absolutely a problem. The club was going to let Kev cop it, let the media speculate , until they were forced to say something to back him.
They chose not to get in front of it and lends weight to Tallis' claim that they haven't backed him from day 1.
This is a huge publicly listed business with media managers, theres no way they weren't advised to to do this earlier.
I think most people realise it’s a game you can’t win against the media, they control the narrative and really whatever you do they will have a counter narrative. If DD came out prior to their criticism for not backing Kevvie some of these same idiots would be like “where did that come from? If Kevvie is safe why would you feel the need to address that? He got them to a GF last year so clearly he has bought himself some time, the fact that DD has decided he needs to publicly back him suggests maybe he doesn’t, right Hoops?” “Well fair dinkum they’ve given him the old full support of the board”

“What is more important is what is happening inside our walls and I feel like we have done a great job as staff with keeping the players together and it has been a tough eight weeks around Origin and into this period.

“Considering we are just only out of the finals last week, I think it has been a pretty strong effort from everyone to push the club as best as we can."
We were some chance of finishing 8th right up until the second last round, mission accomplished guys.

Does Kevin Walters want to prove himself as a successful NRL coach, or be remembered as a great bloke who was brought down by people stabbing him in the back?

It’s about time the likeable Brisbane Broncos coach flipped the script and started applying the blowtorch to everyone else at the club.

That goes from the players all the way up.

It is obvious to everyone watching on from the outside that Walters has to stop protecting his players and start protecting himself.

Club chief executive Dave Donaghy was forced to belatedly come out on Wednesday and back Walters to keep his job next season after a discussion we had on NRL 360 this week.

It came after we questioned why the powers in charge at the Broncos hadn’t publicly backed Walters after Gorden Tallis called out Adam Reynolds to show his public support.

It just seems like everyone at the club from the top down is looking after their own backs, but leaving Walters stranded.

But now Walters has at least been given a stay of execution with Donaghy’s public admission at least going into next season, the coach needs to start showing the players who their boss is.

It is one thing for them to say they have the coach’s back, but actions always speak louder than words on the rugby league field.

My fear for Walters’ is what happened against the Dolphins last round smacked of a group of players who were no longer putting in for their coach.

But it is high time Kevvie took back the power and put the attitude of the players equally put under the pump.

And if they don’t turn up with a better performance for their final round game against the Storm, maybe it’s time for Walters making some tough calls himself.

There is just no way of ignoring that too many Broncos players this season appear to have become too comfortable in their lifestyles that they seem to have forgotten the number one reason they are paid huge salaries to play the game they love.

So, that means Tallis was told about it & that can only come from Kev telling him.
Good ol Gordy.
Haven’t heard him being called out ever for his role at the titans since 2015.
His words with Maguire during origin probably stem back to when he was forwards coach at Souths and Maguire sacked him when he took over the coaching.

I think most people realise it’s a game you can’t win against the media, they control the narrative and really whatever you do they will have a counter narrative. If DD came out prior to their criticism for not backing Kevvie some of these same idiots would be like “where did that come from? If Kevvie is safe why would you feel the need to address that? He got them to a GF last year so clearly he has bought himself some time, the fact that DD has decided he needs to publicly back him suggests maybe he doesn’t, right Hoops?” “Well fair dinkum they’ve given him the old full support of the board”
Sure, agree with this they are SCs
You can't have media innuendo and rumours being bandied about like they were.
The way you stop it is come out and unequivocally back your coach, DD knows this and should have done it IMO.

Sure, agree with this they are SCs
You can't have media innuendo and rumours being bandied about like they were.
The way you stop it is come out and unequivocally back your coach, DD knows this and should have done it IMO.
It wouldn't have solved anything mate.

You and I both know the only way to stop this is to win footy games - end of story.

It wouldn't have solved anything mate.

You and I both know the only way to stop this is to win footy games - end of story.

Unfortunately the next winnable game is a long time away.

Active Now

• theshed
  • Fozz
  • Culhwch
  • broncos4life
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.