Post Game Discussion - Round 9 - Penrith

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Bit of trivia for you..

When was the last time Broncos were able to win a game scoring less than 10 points?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Off the top of my head...

Round 8 2007?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Yep. Scored the same amount of points, as well.

It's been a while.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Pretty bizarre game I have never seen a final score of 8-5 from memory. [MENTION=8536]Super Freak[/MENTION]; has there ever been a game that has ended 8-5 before?

Our defense on our own goal line was fantastic especially considering that Penrith won the forward and yardage battle and always got over the advantage line and had chances to wrap up the game but didn't. Whilst the Penrith defense was excellent I thought our attack was poor as Hunt had an unusually ordinary game and was out kicked by Soward but the big positive in the end is that we won in a tight situation under pressure and didn't drop our heads when Penrith went ahead with 5 to go.

Peachey should've been sin binned for his spear tackle. The ref had blown his whistle stopping the play and Peachey went ahead and made an ugly tackle after everyone else had stopped. I would've given him 10 in the bin.

Call me every name under the sun but I thought Soward played well tonight his kicking kept us at bay and took pressure of his team, unlucky for him that he kicked the ball to hard gifting us a final chance and was bumped of by Oates at the end, but again i've always been a Soward defender.

Thought Boyd was solid in his comeback game, didn't do anything in attack but was safe and solid and I feel he will get better as time moves on. His Origin selection will be a big boost to his mental confidence when it happens.

Broncos 3-2-1

3 - McGuire
2 - Hodges
1 - Kahu

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Why do people say Peachey should be sin binned?

He basically dumped Blair on his head. That's not a professional foul, it's a disgustingly dangerous one that should have seen him Sent off.

I know loading was involved but if Bird got 8 weeks Tyrone should get 28.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Yep. Scored the same amount of points, as well.

It's been a while.

The only other game that came to mind was the Eels game @ Parramatta in 2010 which was a tight win but we scored just on 10.

That was a shocking game RE: Rabbitohs. Despite all the talent, we couldn't get anything going and they just about stole it from us. I don't think I've ever been to a win where I've come home feeling more frustrated.

MrMoore

MrMoore

NRL Player
Jul 27, 2011
Why was Boyd in the post match conference, I thought it was captain and coach?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Darius Boyd's stats for tonight!

0 Tries
0 Try Assists
0 Line Breaks
0 Line Break Assists
0 Tackle Busts
0 Tackles
0 Missed Tackles
0 Offloads
0 Errors
0 Penalties Conceded

At least he was consistent! :lol:

Shut up Anonymous Pers.. I mean Unbreakable!

Aside from the scoreboard/try tally, can you point to one aspect of the game where we were better than Penrith? Goal line defence is about it. And it's critical. But it doesn't make us the better team IMO.

I wonder if the Panthers get the two points because of their metres made stat? They couldn't score a try and yet they were the better team? Pull the other one, mate.

90% of kicks we do are bombs...

That's because Hunt is always kicking from shitty, awkward positions. Too close to the try line for a down town kick and too far away for a chip out to the wingers. What else should he do from the position the forwards get him to?

So over the fucking refs not backing themselves & going to the video ref nearly every time a player crosses the try linebe

Refs should have a limit of the amount of times they can go to the video ref.

I swear 90% of the tries we have scored this year have gone to the video. It's like they're constantly trying to find reasons to not award us tries.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Is it me, or does Gillett really lack the ability to run into holes?

What holes? Maybe a lot more stuff like Hunt>Oates would be helpful. That's one area we don't do well - use our back rowers near enough. Oates's try is a great example of what can be done, but not just on their line.

I don't think we were worse than Penrith. We won, and the winning was through quality football. At the same time, we made Penrith look as good as they did, especially up the middle. Soward was given too much peace and quiet to control as well as he did.

We were much the better side in that we can put on class plays, and our defence is amongst the best, except for line speed. Penrith lack class but have grit.

I'm really happy with the win and it will give Bennett more things to work on as we get better and better.

Milford is starting to impress me at 5/8

Last edited:
Dee

Dee

QCup Player
Apr 30, 2010
Jesus Christ!
Our attack tonight was absolutely abysmal!
But, let me just say right now, the 2 points tonight will come in handy later on this season. Not happy about our attack to be honest, defense was terrific but happy to get the 2 points & have no serious injuries.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Shut up Anonymous Pers.. I mean Unbreakable!

:(

You know I love Darius, I just found it funny, I thought he played fine for his first game in however many months, no errors is the main thing, and he put his body on the line a few times under the high ball, his attack will come in due time.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
That was incredible. I hope Soward cries tonight.
Post of the night!

I'm too exhausted to comment on the game, that was fucking intense... :faint2:

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I'm young and in good health, but my heart can't take much more of that this season. I hope it doesn't happen again.

It was very much like the Eels game, we were being dominated in the middle of the field, we were dropping off tackles, we weren't wrapping up the ball. But our goal line defense was fucking superb.

I usually would have walked away from a game like this frustrated, but I couldn't help but feel overjoyed.

The change in attitude and the self belief this year has been outstanding to see. It's winning us games, it's helping us find that extra gear when everything is against us. This is crucial to winning premierships and I have no doubt that if when we finally gel in attack, we will be the premiership force we once were.

The only time I think we had that under Griffin is in 2011.

Last edited:
Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
For those of you that were not at the game and only watched on the box and thought we did not deserve the win. There were two occasions last night when Penrith were out on their feet, once in the first half where Soward knew it and played well kicking the ball into touch a couple of times for a breather and the second time, 2nd half when we forced some drop outs. Soward delayed the drop outs to the point they really should have been penalized twice under their posts.
I have not watched the replay so I cannot really understand what you guys are talking about. I just believe some of you are being highly critical because it is YOUR team.
at the game I did not feel we were going to lose it even after they kicked the field goal. In fact my wife commented how relaxed I was during the game. This does not happen often. Penrith were in a state of not knowing how to score a try and were regarded at the start of the season as a top four side

Last edited:
FaceOfMutiny

FaceOfMutiny

QCup Player
Nov 7, 2013
Omg I almost had a heart attack watching that game. What a game! Brisbane were a yellow and maroon wall on the try line(which is where it counts). I'm keen to see how they go with a few more games with Darius at the back. Hunt had a shocker with his kicks but that pass at the end was fantastic. Jack Reed played better than people give him credit for and maranta being safe at the end is what got us the win. He was outnumbered and would have been put into touch if he didn't play it safe and that allowed us to win. Sometimes I wonder if BHQ would still have a whinge if we were winning by a large margin every game.

Even the missus mentioned that with Wayne coaching the Broncos don't die off at the end of games anymore and she spends half of every game looking at her phone.

I'm in a tiny tiny flat in London at the moment and I can guarantee at least 20 of my neighbours heard me and missus going crazy when Oates scored that try!

I was sceptical with Wayne/Darius coming back but I have faith in Wayne.

That spear tackle on Blair should have been at least 10 in the bin. What does a player need to do to get a sin bin these days? I think a spear tackle onto someone's head after the whistle should be a send off to be honest.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
For those of you that were not at the game and only watched on the box and thought we did not deserve the win. There were two occasions last night when Penrith were out on their feet, once in the first half where Soward knew it and played well kicking the ball into touch a couple of times for a breather and the second time, 2nd half when we forced some drop outs. Soward delayed the drop outs to the point they really should have been penalized twice under their posts.
I have not watched the replay so I cannot really understand what you guys are talking about. I just believe some of you are being highly critical because it is YOUR team.
at the game I did not feel we were going to lose it even after they kicked the field goal. In fact my wife commented how relaxed I was during the game. This does not happen often. Penrith were in a state of not knowing how to score a try and were regarded at the start of the season as a top four side
Was going to say the same thing. Some smart kicking in general play by Soward to give his forwards (and himself, by the way because he was blowing too) a break but Christ Almighty. His behaviour behind the line before the drop kicks was abysmal, whingeing to the refs and wasting time. Yet hardly a word from the refs to hurry it up.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Typical Bennett performance ... no flash and plenty of grit.

Our scramble defence is brilliant, and keeps us in the game, but seriously....our attack, and last tackle options are shocking !
I'm not sure if it's by design or not, but this 5 hitups then a bomb strategy is pretty ordinary. Where is Macca with some kicks from dummyhalf ??

We're also really lacking some firepower in the middle of the field. Bigger packs, like the Panthers, are making way too many meters in attack .... marching right up the middle. We need a couple of bigger bodies in there to halt that.

Boyd went well in his comeback game i thought .... he'll make a huge difference to us for the remainder of the season.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Big Del
  • Manofoneway
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.