Post Game Discussion - Round 9 - Penrith

I haven't seen much of the game, but a scoreline of 8-5 tells its own story.

I have to say though, that was another game to add to the "we would have lost that last year" list, alongside the Roosters and Warriors games (Sharks and Eels games as well if we're being really harsh). Under Griffin, close losses were the team's forte (see 2014 matches against Roosters, Eels, Titans, Rabbitohs, SHARKS, Panthers).

So far, we have two losses from 9 games. They could never have won the game against Souths and the loss to St George was just a night where nothing went right. To have gained 14 points from a possible 18 is a bloody good effort, but being top of the ladder in Round 9 means jack shit.

Sure, we've been bloody lucky to get the close wins this season. But these close wins will have been monumental for the team's confidence. Also, those extra few competition point are the difference between a top-4 berth and getting knocked out by the Cowboys in week 1.

This new Bennett team may not be pretty, but they get the job done. Milford is finally starting to be the unpredictable five-eighth Bennett wants him to be, Boyd has completed the ideal spine, and our forwards are able to grind out wins even when they're flat-out buggered. I am enjoying thinking about where this team is going for the first time in four years, and I for one am extremely pleased with them.

Having watched replays and highlights, I'm feeling better about our performance. It was a tense game that we only just clinched at the death, so I think it's natural to be critical at first.

Looking at it with fresher eyes however, a few things do stand out to me.

Firstly, yes, our line speed and defensive structure allows for the opposition to gain easy metres. You could argue it also makes it tough to break the line outright. Proof is on the scoreboard. Personally, I'd rather we were more aggressive in this respect, and I'm curious why the Roosters game was an anomaly in that respect. Perchance it's a strategic choice based on the opposition?

Secondly, it was a low scoring game we were lucky to run away with at the end. However, Glenn was held up twice, and Kahu once. We were very close on all three occasions if not for some dogged defence. Plus Reed's dropped ball on the try line. The execution in all instances could have been a little better, but we were far more likely than the Panthers throughout.

To that end, I can't agree that the Panthers were the better team. Sure, they won the battle for territory off the back of their forwards and Soward's kicking, but they rarely troubled us on our tryline. We were much more threatening in attack, and with a little more luck that scoreline could well gave been a blow-out.

Work those set plays and kicking. Get that right and we'll reap the benefits.

I'm young and in good health, but my heart can't take much more of that this season. I hope it doesn't happen again.

It was very much like the Eels game, we were being dominated in the middle of the field, we were dropping off tackles, we weren't wrapping up the ball. But our goal line defense was ****ing superb.

I usually would have walked away from a game like this frustrated, but I couldn't help but feel overjoyed.

The change in attitude and the self belief this year has been outstanding to see. It's winning us games, it's helping us find that extra gear when everything is against us. This is crucial to winning premierships and I have no doubt that if when we finally gel in attack, we will be the premiership force we once were.

The only time I think we had that under Griffin is in 2011.

Dropping off tackles, we missed 2 tackles in the first half and 8 in the second, how is that dropping off tackles? We are hardly being dominated in the middle as well, we held our own quite well in the middle.

I don't care if your opponent is the Sisters of Mary, if you allow a grand total of zero tries, you did the job period!

Big takes aways on the upside: Milford played his best game and will only get better. Kahu played well and showed no sign of injury, as did Hodges who more or less willed the side to victory. Oates is a beast. Look at the difference in how he hits the line in comparison to Gillette who used to hit holes well. Oates always runs in straight lines with his head down and lots of leg drive. That is what makes someone hard to tackle.

On the down side : Left sides lack of ability to finish and still pretty apparent that we lack size and pop from both props. McGuire gets away with it because of his huge nut sack and ticker.... Blair does not. Hunts kicking really needs a mountain of work. I think Andrew only kicked once and I can't remember Milford kicking at all.

Let's hope that once Boyd gets some timing and game fitness under his belt that his speed improves as he looked very slow last night. Still he got through and we won.

Two points is two points.
:takdir:

Last edited:
Execution was way off and I lost it when Maranta stepped back in from the slide in the play before we scored the matchwinning try, I thought he was over!! Good defensive effort from the boys inside our 20. Blair was underwhelming, I liked what I saw from Nikorima and Ofahengaue was impressive off the bench! Milford played a balanced game, making a few breaks...still a long way to go, but the first time I saw Kahu's try I though Hodges through the pass...onya Milfie!!

I thought the exact opposite. I thought it was a heads up play because I am almost certain he would have wound up over the sideline and that would have been the game. By coming back inside it meant we retained possession and were able to then set up for the winning try.

I understand completely this will never happen, but our backline should be this:

1. Milford
2. Boyd
3. Copley
4. Kahu
5. Oates
6. Hodges
7. Hunt

I disagree. I don't know if Hodges body could hold up plus how does that take any pressure off Hunt and his kicking game by removing a 5/8 that has a part-time kicking game and replacing him with a 5/8 with no kicking game.

Nope, I held onto the feeling.

Knew that the Broncos would have their say and once Soward's kick trickled dead, it was a sign baby - the Footy Gods were on the Broncos side.

No point shooting for one, the try was the only way to go and young Oates still had to have his say like he did the year before. Call him to the clincher because that's what he is. That's aboout 3 games he's scored the winner in his young career.

Also how good are Nikorima and Milford?

Absolute game-breakers.

I agree re Niko and Milford. I would like to see Niko getting a bit more time, for example bringing him on for the 10 minutes prior to half time as well. The two of them seem to be developing a real feel for each other's play.

I just heard Boyd being interviewed on Dead Set Legends on Triple M. What a transformation in him from the last few years to this . year in the manner in which he handles his media commitments. Very open and responsive to the questions. Said he came through okay but was feeling a bit sore this morning. He is hopeful of being picked in Origin. Thought Penrith came to play.

I disagree. I don't know if Hodges body could hold up plus how does that take any pressure off Hunt and his kicking game by removing a 5/8 that has a part-time kicking game and replacing him with a 5/8 with no kicking game.

That 5/8 hasn't been removed ... He is still in the team, just a different position. He can still use his kicking game

I just heard Boyd being interviewed on Dead Set Legends on Triple M. What a transformation in him from the last few years to this . year in the manner in which he handles his media commitments. Very open and responsive to the questions. Said he came through okay but was feeling a bit sore this morning. He is hopeful of being picked in Origin. Thought Penrith came to play.

I noticed that with the post-match interview last night too. Maybe it's just because he was chatting to Locky, but he was at ease and spoke very well - better than most footy players.

I still remember that classic interview he gave when he was at the Dragons haha.

I thought the exact opposite. I thought it was a heads up play because I am almost certain he would have wound up over the sideline and that would have been the game. By coming back inside it meant we retained possession and were able to then set up for the winning try.

That was my thoughts exactly. Usually I'm the first to criticize maranta but the fact is on THAT occasion it was the smart and right play. If he runs it there is a 99.9% chance he is bundled into touch and that's game over

The Panthers crossed our line one time and we crossed theirs 5 times. They should have been playing with 12 players at one point as well. The Panthers were definitely not the best team on the field and only Johnny Wilkinson can win games by kicking goals (Yes I'm still bitter about that Rugby World Cup loss). Also I really hate the blockers when players go up for a kick.

When Moylan dropped the ball in the 75th minute and a Panther picked it up whilst in front of him, why was it not a penalty?

Because Cecchin had put the whistle away at the 70 minute mark

Just saw Peachey's tackle. With the benefit of hindsight and knowing we win, I don't think it was a sinbin.
If I was watching live I sure would have wanted him gone.

It was dangerous & done after the whistle, so I think he deserved to be sinbinned.

I'm one of the biggest Maranta critics, but I agree with you here.

I'm more critical of Maranta in other aspects of the game, namely his almost invisible presence in attack, lack of speed (Simmons left him for dead, and Milford came from behind to catch him), and weird lack of confidence under the high ball, letting it bounce twice, once in defense which almost lead to a try against us, were it not for Kahu's heroics. Maybe he's more confident on the right side...

Regardless, a left combo of Reed/Maranta is not going to deliver much, if anything, in attack. I much rather have a Copley/Oates combo there! Reed was very good defensively though, I will give him that.

On the game itself, I think we lacked control and a kicking game, and I'm not sure we will get it with the Hunt/Milford combo, both great individual players, and capable of deciding a game in a clutch moment, but not so good at controlling a game, which is what Soward did so well for the Panthers and almost got them a win!

I definitely do not agree we didn't deserve the win though. Our defense was positively impenetrable (despite the lack of line speed), and we were the only team who crossed the line multiple times and looked like scoring a try.
It should honestly have been a comfortable win, had we had better control and patience with the 5th tackle options.

Reed didn't help Maranta. He either didn't pass or couldn't draw and pass

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Rambstien
  • NSW stables
  • Aldo
  • BroncoFan94
  • Xzei
  • broncsgoat
  • bb_gun
  • Wolfie
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncorob
  • Fozz
  • Manofoneway
  • leon.bott
  • Foordy
  • Manlyman
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jedhead
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Porthoz
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.