Predicted Queensland Line-Up Game III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope they name Barba on the bench, it'll be one less QLD forward we'll have to worry about. The NSW pack is the strongest pack we've had for many years and with T-Rex back into the side, it doesn't get any weaker that's for sure. The QLD pack have been owned in the past 2 games, not sure why they wouldn't do everything in their power to ensure that doesn't happen again? Barba on the bench MIGHT be a waste, he'll only get 20 minutes and it will be less forwards on the bench.

Sure he's a potential game breaker and could work out for you but damn it's a risk.

Unless they do what they did with Slater, and have Inglis to start at fullback to cop the initial barrage, and bring Barba on once things settle down. Having said that, if they do that I don't think they should pick Nielsen - no point in picking someone who will only play the first 20 minutes. Maybe start Te'o at left centre for the start of the game as you can actually get some use out of him at the back end of the game. But again, having said that, not a fan of playing back rowers in the centres.

Oh well, we will win.

I really hope they name Barba on the bench, it'll be one less QLD forward we'll have to worry about. The NSW pack is the strongest pack we've had for many years and with T-Rex back into the side, it doesn't get any weaker that's for sure. The QLD pack have been owned in the past 2 games, not sure why they wouldn't do everything in their power to ensure that doesn't happen again? Barba on the bench MIGHT be a waste, he'll only get 20 minutes and it will be less forwards on the bench.

Sure he's a potential game breaker and could work out for you but damn it's a risk.

Queensland have also struggled to break NSW at times this series. And now they have to beat NSW without Billy Slater. Personally, I think there is a lot of merit in playing Barba. You honestly can't tell me that Queensland couldn't have used Barba in that final 20 minutes of game 2 when QLD were trying to wear NSW down.

Plus lets not forget last game we played with 1 less forward and without Barba as Parker was out of the game after just a couple of minutes, so whether or not it's a 4th forward or Barba it's still going to work out better.

Inglis was my original pick for FB but I now agree with Meninga that this would seriously weaken our left side. (Does anyone know what side TRex plays?)

My choice now is Bowen for FB, based on his previous Origin experience (and this is a series decider), his current great form, his combination with Thurston, he can kick very well, and, importantly, that he is an effective 2 play maker on both sides. For mine, this is a real positive given JT is just not Lockyer on the right hand side, and Cronk could do with the help Bowen can provide on the right side.

In any case, having Bowen or Barba on the bench is IMO, suicide, a complete waste of a position. To beat this NSW side, we need impact, and a lot more creative flair. That rules out Nielsen. Why play him instead of Inglis?

My side would be:

1. Bowen
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Parker
--------------------
14. Hannant
15. Shillington
16. Taylor
17. Gillett

I leave Gillett in the side as he is a utility, whereas, and much as I like him, T'eo is not, but T'eo in for Thaiday if he is out.

As for Slater, my research is that 3 weeks is just not enough time for a PCL to heal, especially for a match like this. A re-injury would be fatal for Qld. You can't beat this NSW side with a man down.

Last edited:
I leave Gillett in the side as he is a utility, whereas, and much as I like him, T'eo is not

huh? How is gillett a utility but te'o isn't? Honest to god, I don't think anyone on here actually understands what a "utility" player is lol.

If gillett is a utility, te'o is a freaking super utility.

huh? How is gillett a utility but te'o isn't? Honest to god, I don't think anyone on here actually understands what a "utility" player is lol.

If gillett is a utility, te'o is a freaking super utility.

Derp fat filler.

With Harrison out, I think this is the way to go:

1. Inglis
2. Boyd
3. Nielsen (cringe)
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. Civoniceva
11. Myles
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Shillington
15. Hannant
16. Taylor
17. Te'o

I think the utility idea is overrated. Parker changes the dynamics of the starting side though. Rather than playing on the left where Harrison was, I'd play him up the middle like he does for the Broncos. Let Myles start on the left, Taylor coming on to replace Civoniceva, push Myles into prop.

Gillett was less crap than Taylor last Friday, but at this stage of their careers I think Taylor is potentially more damaging. In our favour :P

How is Te'o a super utility when he's played less positions than Gillett has in first grade?

Te'o - Backrow, Centre, Prop
Gillett - Backrow, Centre, Wing, Prop, Five Eigth

Gillett also goes to dummy half an awful lot and his service isn't too bad.

Utility players are overrated & Gillett isn't providing the impact he should. Can we say that without all the other nastiness?

How is Te'o a super utility when he's played less positions than Gillett has in first grade?

Te'o - Backrow, Centre, Prop
Gillett - Backrow, Centre, Wing, Prop, Five Eigth

Gillett also goes to dummy half an awful lot and his service isn't too bad.

Utility players are overrated & Gillett isn't providing the impact he should. Can we say that without all the other nastiness?

Being an ACTUAL utility player isn't just being put in as many positions as the coach can put you in, it's about being GOOD at multiple different positions. Gillett playing a game on the wing doesn't mean he's good at it. He wasn't particularly good in centre whereas te'o has had some blinders there. Just cause gillett can pick up the ball and pass it doesn't mean you can say he can play hooker. Five eighth? No. Just no. TC played halfback, doesnt mean he can suddenly list it under his playing positions cause the coach put him there once.

Te'o is better at more positions than gillett from what we've seen.

We can agree that utilities are overrated. I don't believe in carrying someone on the bench just in case of injury, especially for a position like half/hooker.

Last edited:
That's a fair point and it's why I agree Gillett isn't much of a utility either. However, Te'o isn't any better and I don't believe his performances in the centres have been any better or worse than Gillett so the super utility point was childish.

Gillett actually made a name for himself as a five eigth, that's where he played where he earned a second chance at the Broncos and he played there on more than one occasion. Just setting facts straight there.

The only time I believe in carrying a utility is in situations like the Maroons are facing, where we're looking a little weak in the backline so why not throw an exciting but still inexperienced fullback on the bench as a trump card?

That's a fair point and it's why I agree Gillett isn't much of a utility either. However, Te'o isn't any better and I don't believe his performances in the centres have been any better or worse than Gillett so the super utility point was childish.

Gillett actually made a name for himself as a five eigth, that's where he played where he earned a second chance at the Broncos and he played there on more than one occasion. Just setting facts straight there.

The only time I believe in carrying a utility is in situations like the Maroons are facing, where we're looking a little weak in the backline so why not throw an exciting but still inexperienced fullback on the bench as a trump card?

I dont wanna enter into this argument of who is better out of Te'o and Gillet, but I thought Te'o was outstanding during his time playing centre. The guy runs hard and isnt afraid to run over the top of his opponent. Scored quite a few tries if I recall. I think 2rf and centre are his best spots, and i think he covers centre better than any other 2rf going around.

That all sounds like one performance which was against Souths in R25 of last year.

He's only scored 1 try at centre & has played there less than Gillett.

Gillett has scored 6 tries there (8 if you count the games he was named at centre, but he played on the wing in that MotM performance in 2010).

Gillett's biggest issue was his defence out there & Te'o wasn't any better.

But yeah, just wanted to set the facts straight about the tries. You're entitled to your opinion.

Last edited:
Courier Mail is reporting that Queensland will name a 20 man squad.

Likely Queensland squad: Billy Slater; Darius Boyd, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Brent Tate; Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk; Matt Scott, Cameron Smith (c), Petero Civoniceva, Nate Myles, Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker; Matt Gillett, Dave Taylor, Ben Hannant, David Shillington, Dane Nielsen, Ben Te'o, Matt Bowen.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e-is-ready-to-go/story-e6frepbx-1226408350839

I'm starting to warm to the idea of Te'o being on the bench. I think it allows Barba or Bowen to be used as a starting fullback, and if they aren't handling it (I have some major concerns about Barba under the high ball), Inglis can shift from centre to fullback and Te'o can play centre.

I'm starting to warm to the idea of Te'o being on the bench. I think it allows Barba or Bowen to be used as a starting fullback, and if they aren't handling it (I have some major concerns about Barba under the high ball), Inglis can shift from centre to fullback and Te'o can play centre.

I like that, but I like this more.

1. Inglis
3. Te'o
14. Barba/Bowen

After the opening 20-25, bring on barba/Bowen to fullback, inglis to centre, te'o to second row. He should be fresh enough to either play out the half, or sub him off for another second rower.

Big Pete - tries scored mean nothing on BHQ remember. When I pointed out how few tries hodges I think it was scored in comparison to someone else, it was dismissed as irrelevant because "stats don't show the whole picture". I've seen gillett play on the wing, halves, centre and second row. He was only good at second row. Te'o is a better defender, there's no doubt. He picks his shots better, and let's through fewer tries/line breaks. Especially in 2012, which has been a Steve michaels-esque year for gillett so far.

Is there a difference to carrying a player on the bench to cover for someone who "doesn't handle it " to carrying one in case someone gets hurt?

Courier Mail is reporting that Queensland will name a 20 man squad.

Likely Queensland squad: Billy Slater; Darius Boyd, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Brent Tate; Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk; Matt Scott, Cameron Smith (c), Petero Civoniceva, Nate Myles, Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker; Matt Gillett, Dave Taylor, Ben Hannant, David Shillington, Dane Nielsen, Ben Te'o, Matt Bowen.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e-is-ready-to-go/story-e6frepbx-1226408350839

Wtf has barba gotta do to get a look in :(

Played brilliantly over the weekend and is in much better form than bowen. Guess it just comes down to experience at this stage.

Is there a difference to carrying a player on the bench to cover for someone who "doesn't handle it " to carrying one in case someone gets hurt?

whos carrying someone who "doesnt handle it"? i want barba/bowen to start on the bench as it brings them on when the opposition is starting to tire. it worked wonderfully for us when we started Hunt at FB and brought Slater in after the opening 20, i think it would work just as well if not better with Inglis/Barba/Bowen. i dont think bowen/barba "couldnt handle it" in the slightest. everyone one here said slater couldnt handle it, now hes the best fullback the games ever seen, even in origin.

Wtf has barba gotta do to get a look in :(
same thing McGuire has to do - get the selectors to grow some balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Hoof Hearted
  • Xzei
  • MrMoore
  • Jazza
  • leon.bott
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mark H
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosMan
  • Manofoneway
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • Santa
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • Bronx48
  • jd87
  • kman
  • GCBRONCO
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.