Qld backline

Covering the 9 is something you have to do when you pick a 34yo at hooker whose spent the last few years in Rugby League's version of a retirement home. Injuries can happen but I think it's better to just pick a guy who can contribute meaningfully if there are no injuries and who can fill a hole if something does happen.

Even if Cronk or Smith did go down, Cronk can play a bit of hooker and Boyd can play a bit of five-eight (with Thurston at half). And Slater does a bit of work out of dummy half as well. Obviously it's not ideal but I'd rather have Gillett off the bench and do that in the event of an injury rather than just stick a guy like Berrigan in there just in case one happens.

Agree with this. I'm not a fan of picking players on the bench just in case someone might get injured. All you get from that is what we got with Cherry-Evans on Friday night.

Agree with that but my original post was who we replace Cronk with. Maybe we were spoiled a bit having him available, Gillett may well be the utility.

Last edited:
Agree with that but my original post was who we replace Cronk with. Maybe we were spoiled a bit having him available.

Definitely. Though Cronk was useful in that he could play a number of positions well and still contribute to our success without having to replace an injured player, the same way I think Gillett could.

If you want a true Cronk like player (in terms of positions, not ability), then gee, your options are pretty much Casey McGuire, Shaun Berrigan or Ben Hunt. (DCE doesn't play hooker so I excluded him)

They could put a hooker such as Ballin on the bench. If a half goes down you can move Smith in there.

Definitely. Though Cronk was useful in that he could play a number of positions well and still contribute to our success without having to replace an injured player, the same way I think Gillett could.

If you want a true Cronk like player (in terms of positions, not ability), then gee, your options are pretty much Casey McGuire, Shaun Berrigan or Ben Hunt. (DCE doesn't play hooker so I excluded him)

Yeah, I think your are right. Lack of options is the problem. Travis Burns is an option as well and he could play lock like Cronk used to.
The best option would be to pick DCE and play him and have Cronk still off the bench. This would be totally unfair to Cronk though and won't happen.

I hope DCE gets picked for the Maroons and repeats his Test performance.

Gillett is the obvious choice & I'll be very surprised if he isn't picked on the bench. In a worst case scenario, Gillett can cover outside & 5/8, but likely would be Gillett outside, GI to 6, Cronk to 9.

Gillett is the only utility that gives the option to have halves & hooker covered, it's just means shuffling other players.

Plus he's an impact player in his actual role. It's win-win.

I think it has to be Gillett.
In the case of Smith going down, I'd shift Cronk to 9, Boyd into Cronk's spot on the right, Inglis back to fullback, Gillett to the centres.

Gillett is the obvious choice & I'll be very surprised if he isn't picked on the bench. In a worst case scenario, Gillett can cover outside & 5/8, but likely would be Gillett outside, GI to 6, Cronk to 9.

Gillett is the only utility that gives the option to have halves & hooker covered, it's just means shuffling other players.

Plus he's an impact player in his actual role. It's win-win.

I agree with this comment 100%

Gillett has to be there for his versatility + his awesomeness !!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it has to be Gillett.
In the case of Smith going down, I'd shift Cronk to 9, Boyd into Cronk's spot on the right, Inglis back to fullback, Gillett to the centres.

Agree with Gillett as utlity.

Notwithstanding that your post doesn't make sense (where's Slater in all that), wouldn't you just slot Gillett into Cronk's position to minimise disruption to the defensive line

Agree with Gillett as utlity.

Notwithstanding that your post doesn't make sense (where's Slater in all that), wouldn't you just slot Gillett into Cronk's position to minimise disruption to the defensive line

Slater not good enough to be picked... Aka Coxy brain fart.

No, I wouldn't put Gillett there because he's **** at first receiver. And that's basically where he would be if he took cronk's spot.

At this stage my 17 would be

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith (c)
10. Hannant
11. Thaiday
12. Myles
13. Parker

14. McGuire
15. Shillington
16. Gillett
17. Taylor

Yes. I've left out Petero. If he wasn't good enough for Australia, he's not good enough for Queensland. IMO

That would be my exact same side. Honestly, even without Lockyer, it's very hard to see how NSW beats that team. Taylor missed most of last year's series and Gillett will be a great addition off the bench.

Agreed completely about Civoniceva too. He still has a lot to offer the Broncos put his time in the QLD team has come and gone IMO. It's time for the likes of McGuire and Kennedy to step in.

Yes. I've left out Petero. If he wasn't good enough for Australia, he's not good enough for Queensland. IMO

I can see why you think that but I can't agree. What has Petero done since game 3 last year that is deserving of losing his spot? I know he didn't get the official man of the match but IMO he was the best in ground and I think everyone will agree he was outstanding on the night. His form for the Broncos this year is good enough for him to retain his spot IMO.

I'd go for:

1. Slater
2. Boyd
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Tate
6. Thurston
7. Cronk
8. Scott
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Thaiday
12. Myles
13. Harrison
---------------------
14. Gillett
15. Shillington
16. Hannant
17. Taylor

Tough leaving Parker out but willing to give Harrison another go. He won't let us down.

no dramas with your team either Jeb. I just can't leave McGuire out.

Harrison or Parker too, either or. Harrison at least could cover halves in an injury crisis

I don't think Petro would let us down at all I just think it is time. McGuire is in such good form I don't think we should hold him back. Gee we will have some punch off the bench with Gillett and Taylor running around. Can't find a spot for Harrison, just don;t think he has been good enough this year.

QLD could have blooded other forwards when QLD decided to pick Steve Price again and guess what? Price never ever let QLD down and he played the house down. Just remember that.

For me it's not just about blooding McGuire though. I also have concerns about Petero in defense when he will have Gallen then Tamou then Sims running at him. He's never been the quickest defending around the rucks and he's looked a little slow at times this year. That said, I thought his game against the Raiders was easily his best of the year. If he keeps up that level then I'm sure he'll be fine.

Slater, Boyd, Inglis, Hodges, Nielsen, Thurston, Cronk, Hannant, Smith, Shillington, Thaiday, Taylor, Parker. Scott, Cherry, Gillett, Myles.

Unread

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Morkel
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Waynesaurus
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  • Dee
  • The True King
  • Dash
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.