Redcliffe trial v Sharks

If Boyd, Kahu, Roberts, Mead and Oates are all out injured or suspended you mean?

If that's what I meant, I would have said it.

It's no secret the Broncos have issues out-wide and it's an area they were found wanting on several occassions last season. The Broncos clearly missed Reed and based on tonight's performance they'll continue to miss him.

David Mead was the pick of the bunch and he was only serviceable on the right wing.

If that's what I meant, I would have said it.

It's no secret the Broncos have issues out-wide and it's an area they were found wanting on several occassions last season. The Broncos clearly missed Reed and based on tonight's performance they'll continue to miss him.

David Mead was the pick of the bunch and he was only serviceable on the right wing.

Well it is a strange comment I feel, given apart from Mead the entire rest of our likely starting backline is in Auckland right now...

Our depth in the backline is about as good as can be expected with the amount of quality we have in our starting side...

Mead didn't really do it for me tonight. I hope it was just teething pain. Seemed to be struggling with Moga there to find a connection. I know he is better than what he showed tonight. The break down the right from Glenn seemed to highlight that. 3 on 1/2 and they bombed it. Couldn't decide on who would take it to draw and pass and the speed was lacking too.

Well it is a strange comment I feel, given apart from Mead the entire rest of our likely starting backline is in Auckland right now...

Our depth in the backline is about as good as can be expected with the amount of quality we have in our starting side...

Until the Broncos solve their left centre issue, there is still a gaping hole in the team. Tonight was a good opportunity for Moga, Seve and Isaako to prove themselves, none of them did.

Mead didn't really do it for me tonight.

He was fine.

Very safe at the back, held his own defensively from what I saw.

If you're expecting anymore you've got the wrong player. Mead's promise as a player deserted him back in 2012.

They have a great left center ... his name is Jordan Kahu

I never realised how big moga was, I don't know if it was just watching the live stream or is he actually a tank of a man? I was really hoping he'd step up tonight given what I've heard about his potential. I think all of the forwards who were in serious contention for a spot played very well, looked like they all played pretty good minutes and worked hard.

Who keeps getting injured.

Touch wood, but he has been much better in recent years, yes early in his career he was injured a lot, but over the last two or so I would say he has been about average on the injury front.

Not really any worse than anyone else. My concern is that he makes such an excellent winger and finisher and part-time fullback when Boyd is around, that putting him in the centres may weaken us there. Particularly if Mead can't deliver the goods, or Jonas, Marshall, Opacic, Moga, Seve and the rest of the depth we apparently don't have enough of.

How many times through out last season did Kahu have to come off the field due to injury when he played in the centres?

Did he even make it through a game in the centres?

Of those you named, only Opacic, Moga and Seve are centres. The latter were disappointing and the former is currently nursing a serious shoulder injury and the jury is out on him at this level.

Just got back from the Trial.

Quite interesting having to critique a teams talent that previously I had no interest in. The first graders in the Squad easily stood out ie. Sims, Hunt, Mead, Glen...it was just clearing ring rust for them, easy game for them

Sims impact impressed me, he's going to do well this yr.

No need to worry about Mead producing the goods, he's going to excel outside Roberts in that backline, Kahu is a good winger but Mead is a better one. Kahu will cream it at left centre no doubt, the boy has nice skills and a good footy brain

Brisbane Broncos 30 defeat Cronulla Sharks 12

Considering the technical issues, it's difficult to read too much into the performance other than it was a solid first hit-out for the Broncos.

They played as you'd expect a Broncos side would. Nothing fancy with the football, just get to your kick, turn the heat on the opposition and capitilise on the errors & penalties that come your way. For this format it works and some of the Broncos most promising juniors got to build a nice case for themselves.

Pangai Jr dazzled the Sharks defence with his foot-work, Arrow fought in every single involvement, Ese'ese proved a handful, Sims made some big tackles and Fai was surprisingly elusive. If the Broncos are going to pose a threat, it's these names that have to step up and assist the likes of Gillett, Blair and McGuire in the middle.

The rest of the team played well without being spectacular. With so many creative players and finishers out, it was no surprise to see them struggle. It's an interesting dilemna the Broncos face and their lack of backline talent could prove an achillies heel come the business end.

How did hunt go?

How did hunt go?

He was fine.

His kicking game still leaves a lot to be desired, but other than that he looked dangerous with the ball in hand and was unlucky not to have more try assists.

He was fine.

His kicking game still leaves a lot to be desired, but other than that he looked dangerous with the ball in hand and was unlucky not to have more try assists.
Yeah, Hunts kicking game needs more polish. The other half had some nice touches aswell, a bloke that looks like he could develop into something nice

Sims absolutely blasted a few Sharks with some hits.

I never realised how big moga was, I don't know if it was just watching the live stream or is he actually a tank of a man? I was really hoping he'd step up tonight given what I've heard about his potential. I think all of the forwards who were in serious contention for a spot played very well, looked like they all played pretty good minutes and worked hard.

Moga's potential was undone by all the ACL injuries he's had. It's very unlikely we'll see him live up to it. I'm not sure he's got other skills like Kahu to make up for it either.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.