NEWS Reece Walsh sells his soul to Warriors. No big deal.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
I dont think Kev was the one who messed up. We probably threw at him what money we could for this year. The cap space plain and simply probably did not exist

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
Possibly but that’s why I said right or wrong. In a players mind the warriors had faith in him and rolled out the red carpet, compared to that the broncos who thought it was a risk.
After 2020 where everyone was on board the team is too young/inexperienced train, it was a risk despite how good he was.

Fernando

Fernando

NRL Captain
Jun 6, 2015
The whole point of fixing the cap is to get good spine players and shift the balance away from the forwards. Walsh looks set to be just that.
This. It wouldn't have been big money for a good fullback anyway. We have Flegler on more ffs.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I think its more than likely we offered him a pretty good contract based on where he is at this stage of his career. Warriors probably offered him a better one

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
After 2020 where everyone was on board the team is too young/inexperienced train, it was a risk despite how good he was.
Of course. No arguments from me there. Riki re-signing was a risk, Piakura re-signing was a risk, Staggs on a 4 year deal after major injury is a risk. Flegler’s contract is beyond risk and entering negligence territory.

My complaint isn’t that the club was wisely risk averse for once, it’s that out of all of those players, any one would see that Walsh was the risk worth prioritising,.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
Of course. No arguments from me there. Riki re-signing was a risk, Piakura re-signing was a risk, Staggs on a 4 year deal after major injury is a risk. Flegler’s contract is beyond risk and entering negligence territory.

My complaint isn’t that the club was wisely risk averse for once, it’s that out of all of those players, any one would see that Walsh was the risk worth prioritising,.
We 'ignored' CS9 once too.

Don't beat yourselves up too much

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I think its more than likely we offered him a pretty good contract based on where he is at this stage of his career. Warriors probably offered him a better one
I think that's exactly what happened. However, we still could have used him this season, instead we essentially gave him up so we could promote levi. I get the 'we don't want to keep developing him when hes leaving' argument, but we had a whole season in front of us, releasing him was cutting our nose off to spite our face, it was an emotional decision.

The warriors got exactly what they wanted, they signed him with the intent of him getting a release this year, they tried the same thing with Dylan Brown & got caught out. We shouldn't have made it easy for them. But we seem to be pushovers these days, on & off the field.

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
We 'ignored' CS9 once too.

Don't beat yourselves up too much
We didn’t ignore Smith.
Smith met with Wayne, but decided to sign with Melbourne as he thought it would be easier to crack the first grade team at the time. We had a gun hooker at the time coming through the ranks Michael Ryan. Smith felt he was well down the pecking order.

T

TariqT

NYC Player
Nov 18, 2019
Joes right. But I can’t stop thinking about Walsh's performance in our Wynnum trial earlier. He was a standout all the talk was about our new up and comer. We were all so happy. Thing is he wanted to go. We should be letting Cobbo have a run as soon as possible. No good trying to hide him with the vultures circling.
Absolutely. I'd give Cobbo a run on the wing this year, even at the expense of Coates.

What's the point in keeping Coates on? The season is shot, give the kid a taste and start developing him for next year. Walsh and Walker have already shown us these young fellas are up for it and capable.

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
Why beat yourself up when the club is doing such a good job
I'd just prefer to focus on what we have. He's gone, maybe he'll come back in '24 but its interesting we have two active threads on a player that's gone...

Good on Walsh, good luck kid - come home when you're ready but for now, I've moved on

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Piakura the rookie that hasn’t played first grade re-signed for $400k a season but somehow we couldn’t come up the cash for Walsh?!
The 400k is on the last year of the deal he signed, which by then bar serious bad luck he would be a regular starter.

It's bad losing Walsh no doubt but he is at a club that he wont stay at long, it's easy for him this year because he is based in the central coast near Sydney, wait till he does an Auckland based travelling shitshow, he will want out of that club like all non Kiwis.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
putting a kid straight from schoolboys footy into the NRL ... yep, that'll get us off the bottom of the ladder 🙄

it'll also kill his confidence when Broncos fans turn on him for not being an instant success
Posts that didn't age well.

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
The 400k is on the last year of the deal he signed, which by then bar serious bad luck he would be a regular starter.

It's bad losing Walsh no doubt but he is at a club that he wont stay at long, it's easy for him this year because he is based in the central coast near Sydney, wait till he does an Auckland based travelling shitshow, he will want out of that club like all non Kiwis.
No it’s not.
It’s 1.2 million over 3 years.
I did Maths A in school but that works out to be 400k a season doesn’t it?

Q

QLD JANE

NYC Player
Jun 1, 2017
Just so you know, figures reported in the media are 99% speculation.
It’s only speculation for the likes of Foody, Super Freak when one of our players re-signs for ridiculous dollars.
But when one of our players signs for another club for ridiculous dollars the figure must be true lol

Active Now

• Bronx48
  • Jazza
  • Scdeac
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • The Boss
  • Fozz
  • RolledOates
  • Jedhead
  • Manifesto
  • broncsgoat
  • Strop
  • Tim K
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.