NEWS Reece Walsh to save QLD

As upsetting as this is, do we all still feel the same if we sign Hynes?

Hynes is making the best of a bad situation but Hynes will now likely end up costing us as much as Walsh would have and as much I’m on board with signing Hynes I don’t think he’s the long term answer and signing him potentially risks keeping Cobbo.

So yeah, signing Hynes is better than sitting around doing nothing but they have somewhat botched that too because his ability was there to be seen 8 rounds ago and we could’ve locked him up for next to nothing. But we blew the Walsh deal and now took so long to approach Hynes that he isn’t even still the great value buy that made him appealing to begin with.

Off topic a bit but there was another one this week in the 14's. Freak of a footy player from Mackay region. Carved the carnival up and was voted best at the tournament. Still a long way to go obviously before nrl but he has just switched to cowboys (he was in the broncos system).... the kid is a fullback and his last name is dittman. He is lightning quick, great shape with good height and incredible footy vision..
Saw you mentioned Mackay and figured what's the point cows will just come in when he's 18/19... then read they've already come in.

Why bother going for any kids outside of the Brisbane area... none of them give a shit about the broncos and just want use us as a pathway to their first NRL gig.

9 year contract at $550k a year I reckon

Saw you mentioned Mackay and figured what's the point cows will just come in when he's 18/19... then read they've already come in.

Why bother going for any kids outside of the Brisbane area... none of them give a shit about the broncos and just want use us as a pathway to their first NRL gig.
He was prepared to come to bris for school and leave home.
Cowboys got them to visit the club and meet JT.. deal done. He is going to leave home and live in Townsville now.

Cowboys got them to visit the club and meet JT.. deal done. He is going to leave home and live in Townsville now.
Yeah they're all happy to change schools and leave home (Dearden, Walsh, Cobbo, etc.) you get into the broncos pathways program and boom you're almost guaranteed a ticket to the big dance.

Just don't sign a contract beyond your 19th birthday, make sure the Courier Fail can spell your name correctly and wait for the inflated deals to roll in before you've achieved anything.

Our decision makers cannot do anything right.

Their insane youth gamble backfired spectacularly so of course they over corrected and lost the best youngster we had in a position where we are woefully short. Now we will end up forking out similar money for someone like Hynes who while definitely being better than Isaako (who will never make it as a fullback) is fairly average himself.

I haven’t been to Townsville in 20 years but it was a fucking hole when I did.

In the wake of last night's trial against Wynnum Manly, a phoenix has risen from the ashes left behind by the pie gobbling former coach. He's being called the new improved Billy Slater, the new improved Karmichael Hunt, and a host of other comparative monikers that will all in time will fade to dust. Because he will simply be called Reece Walsh. And he will be the Broncos fullback for many, many years.

View attachment 11427
Get ready for this

Kevin Walters is only just catching on:

“There is something special about him. Reece has good footwork and loves playing the game. Some of the things he did was backyard footy stuff. I’ve only seen him play once, so he has a long way to go, but what he is doing at training is very impressive. He is on a pathway to the NRL but we need to help him learn his game. I can’t wait to see a full season from him.”

View attachment 11428
On the pathway

Mal Meninga emerged from behind a nearby toilet block to say:

“Reece is a special kid. To be honest, I was a bit dirty we lost him to the Broncos because he is a Gold Coast kid and he should be in our system. He was with Keebra Park and the Broncos managed to get him on a development contract. If Reece is off-contract, we’d be interested in getting him back. I’m mindful we have AJ Brimson on our books already, but Reece can really play the game.”

View attachment 11421
Watch out, Mal's about.

QLD legend Scott Sattler has watched him bloom in the ISC:

“Reece Walsh is going to be an NRL sensation. He is the closest thing I have seen to Billy Slater. He has amazing speed and blinding acceleration and a similar running style to Billy. I first saw Reece playing for Keebra Park when he was 15. He just had this beautiful deception and awareness for the game. He didn’t mind contact and he covers a lot of territory at the back. Returning the ball, he would pick up top speed in three or four metres. Reece is the feelgood story the Broncos need. He has been in their junior ranks for a couple of years. Karmichael Hunt made his debut at 17 for the Broncos and he had some amazing attributes, but I reckon Reece has more at the same age. He is a fully-fledged fullback and I believe he is good enough to be playing NRL this year.”

View attachment 11425
2 points right there. Every time.

Tevita Pangai Jnr who had a relatively quiet evening in the trial, had said:

“Reece has had a crazy off-season and he will be one to watch this year. Once he gets the balance of his game right, he is going to be special. He likes to attack on every play but when he gets that balance right, he will be brilliant. He is bloody tough, he stops a lot of tries at training so he‘s not afraid to put his body on the line. He has a huge future in the game.”

McHunt
If only Kevvie had been reading BHQ:

ScreenScreenshot 2021 06 12 at 15 32 22 Revealed Maroons bolters in frame for Origin II

Walsh interview in Sunday Mail. The kid's had a tough childhood, and now he's a dad. Says he didn't want to leave but the Warriors saw something in him that Walters didn't.

“I can’t tell you when I last saw my mum ... I think it was four years ago. I’m looking forward. Growing up, things were pretty bad. Mum was on drugs. She was in and out of our lives. She would float in and try and act like she would be there for me for a bit, then she would go off and do her own things and I wouldn’t see her for ages. Then she would come back into my life.

“I wouldn’t say I have given up on her, but for a long time I would think where is she? When is she going to come and see me again? I have a good relationship with my dad (Rodney) and my stepmum (Jodie) and she has done a great job raising me. I am always grateful for her support.”

Screen53eb06ed07b3e33b349da0df87fe4d4d

“I wouldn’t say just because of my mum that I don’t want to be doing drugs. It’s just my personal feelings. It hasn’t been easy with my mum, but I still say not everyone is as lucky as me, a lot of people have it worse than me. I have found it hard. I didn’t understand a lot of things. I would go to mum’s house and she would tell bad stories about my dad and try to run him down. I would think, ‘Why would she say that?’, but now that I have grown up it makes a bit more sense. Being on drugs, mum probably didn’t know what she was saying half the time."

“As an NRL player, you have to be smart. There is always someone watching and there are little kids at home who watch NRL players and dream of being like us. I don’t want to be setting bad examples for young kids who watch the game. I don’t want them thinking that it’s OK to be doing drugs. It’s all about setting examples for the next generation.”

“It’s been really hard playing NRL For me, it’s still pretty crazy running into some of these massive blokes in the NRL I was watching on TV last year. I’m up against the best league players in the world. It’s been an eye-opener."

“The Warriors guys and Browny have been great for me. Naturally, there is pressure playing NRL, but the Warriors support me and let me play my sort of game. The coaching staff don’t put too much on my shoulders. They say just play your role and that’s what I try and do each week. If I can keep doing that, my confidence will grow.”

“I never thought I would leave the Broncos. It was a dream of mine to play NRL for Brisbane. I remember when I was seven years old, I would run around with a Broncos jersey on wishing I could play for the Broncos."

“That’s something I always wanted to do, but then the Warriors came into the picture and they were very clear with the opportunity they could give me. The Broncos wanted me there and they could see me as part of their future, but they weren’t sure what they were going to do with me. I wanted to play first grade, but Kevvie didn’t think I was quite ready."

“There’s nothing against the Broncos for me. They have played a major part in who I am as a player and person, but the Warriors have been great to me and I’m grateful for the opportunity they gave me to play NRL.”

“I don’t think anyone wants to be a one-hit wonder. I play footy with confidence and I have the work ethic to succeed. I want to play NRL for 10 years and I’m lucky enough I have good people at the Warriors who can help develop my game."

“I love being a dad, it’s the best feeling in the world. At first, I was a bit scared, but I sat down with some people I trust and they said, ‘You will be OK, you will have support and we will be one phone call away’. Becoming a father is the best thing I have done. I want to grow up and have Leila look at her dad and say I’m proud.”

McHunt

Sounds like a smart kid and no wonder he left if he is. Also sad he felt we didn’t have a plan for him, I wonder if that’s true.

I wonder if Bellamy rushes him into first grade? I don't think Kev saying you're not quite ready yet is absurd, especially when he hadn't played any Qld Cup. Just another kid that's wants everything "now".

Word is Walsh has been selected for the Maroons squad.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Organix
  • Fozz
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.