NEWS Rival's $1.5 million raid on boom Bronco

Prop. Riki was playing at prop but is a second rower, apparently one of the best prospects in NZ.

Had a good season and a big part of why Norths were undefeated until yesterday. I just like the smarts of Bullemor.

Bit early to say he'll be better than Glenn. Glenn has been a fantastic player for the team for a good 10 years now. If he can be AS good, he'll be very happy with his career. Easy to look good for one season, very hard to maintain it year after year.

I feel like Glenn's value to the team is often disregarded. Value for money, I don't think we have a more worthy player in the team.

I would have liked to have liked that twice, good call.

Just a thought, but if you are moving on forwards to make salary cap space, as said above Thaiday is finishing anyway, wouldn't you just cut Sims and Tagatese??

Just a thought, but if you are moving on forwards to make salary cap space, as said above Thaiday is finishing anyway, wouldn't you just cut Sims and Tagatese??

They wouldn't be on much, would they? You'd just have to replace them with someone else on that amount.

if we need to match the offers for these young forwards, then we will lose at least one of them IMO. especially if the rumoured figures are even close to being accurate

so far i have seen rumoured figures of:

Haas 700k a season
TPJ 500k+ a season
Su'A 500k+ a season

Ridiculous money. If TPJ is on market 500 then I’ll take him for 4 years thanks. But other guys are getting it for potential. Love to keep them but can’t spend half a million for a guy with a handful of games who in a year might be worth that and 700k with one NRL game. More like 350 for Sua for 3 years and Haas similar. Need to get their managers working for their money with effort into TPAs. Why can’t an agent score lots of little TPAs not only in greater Brisbane but also south and west Queensland towns that would kill for visits to do appearances and local businesses. Douche managers based in Sydney wouldn’t be bothered but a local guy could do the little stuff. Other benefit is help them build a brand for the future which isn’t well done in NRL.

TPJ is worth the 500k and probably then some, but the other two are dreaming.

They wouldn't be on much, would they? You'd just have to replace them with someone else on that amount.

Thaiday would be on ok money, Sims was a bit backended so this season he was probably on above a good amount, Taga probably more that minimum. At a guess 600-800.

You could bump a few guys up on that depending on what they are already on. Boyd and Bird overs are tough though. Boyd especially.

Whilst I think these figures are complete bs, as always from reporters looking to get clicks, I think that's massive understatement for TPJ, and massive overs for haas. But I actually think it's only slight overs for Sua. Haas is so young that even a 4 year contract won't bring him into the years he is beginning to truly establish himself in the nrl as a forward despite his talent. They may get their money's worth on a consistent basis in the last year, they'll get the odd good game but not consistent enough to justify it, Sua is a little older and is just about ready to play consistent starting footy at a good level. $500,000 on a starting second rower is justified with the amount of cap available.

Crap clubs take gambles like this, sometimes it pays off (eg ponga) but 9/10 times it doesn't. That's why they are at the bottom really but they appear to see the golden ticket/free ride potential is worth the risk. But at the end of the day they sign these players for massive overs but they'll be off contract before their prime then every other club will be swooping in to grab them in their prime to win a premiership (eg roosters)

We also have to start planning for Ponga to get homesick for Brisbane in about 2-3 years time

About the time Boyd’s contract is finishing up

We also have to start planning for Ponga to get homesick for Brisbane in about 2-3 years time

What if ben hunt also becomes homesick after winning a premiership with the drags?

He hasn’t done any of that for a long time.

Stats don't tell the full story, but I'd say Cordner is undoubtedly better than Gillett in all those areas that Sproj mentioned. Gillo is a much better defender though.

Gillett 2018 averages - 77.2 metres, 38.8 tackles @ 90% efficiency
Cordner 2018 averages - 121.2 metres, 28.7 tackles @ 85% efficiency

I would’ve thought it was fairly obvious that players like Haas and Su’a were gonna get interest from other clubs so why don’t the broncs sign players like that to longer term contracts (say 3 year deal on 200k or something) before they blood them in the NRL? That way by the time their contracts are expiring and the poachers come, theirs a better shot at playing the loyalty card to retain them...

I would’ve thought it was fairly obvious that players like Haas and Su’a were gonna get interest from other clubs so why don’t the broncs sign players like that to longer term contracts (say 3 year deal on 200k or something) before they blood them in the NRL? That way by the time their contracts are expiring and the poachers come, theirs a better shot at playing the loyalty card to retain them...

They were signed to 3 year deals ... they are just coming to the end of them

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Foordy
  • Locky24
  • Allo
  • Battler
  • pennywisealfie
  • Jedhead
  • Skathen
  • Dash
  • Broncorob
  • barker
  • Bish
  • thenry
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.