Round 1 2014

hodges wont go to the wing he is a centre not a winger

The thing I like about Hodges comments is that you know that the same conversation has already occurred with Hoffman in private and given Hodges is talking freely about it, Hoffman has likely accepted the criticism....hopefully as some sort of challenge.

Hodges is just the man, massive respect to him for telling it how he sees it.

Don't think hook will start our vice captain from the bench and I reckon yow yeh will be in the centres with vidot/Kahu/Copley on the wing. As for the 6, it's anyones guess really. I am really banking on hunt to own 2014, we are gonna need him to

... and Jack Reed to QCup?

Seriously?

Ahh Hodges, telling it like it is, that's why he's a legend. Good news is it doesn't look like Hoffman will be seeking a release (no official quotes though) and Barba is unlikely to play in the halves.

HE may be World Cup defending champion New Zealand's first choice fullback, but Josh Hoffman "is not the right guy" to wear the Broncos No.1 jersey, Brisbane teammate Justin Hodges says.
Hoffman has been named fullback for the Kiwis' warm-up clash with the Cook Islands in England this weekend and is considered a key to their title defence.
However, a question mark looms over Hoffman's place in the Broncos backline next year after the signings of Dally M Medallist Ben Barba, Canberra's Daniel Vidot and Cronulla's Stewart Mills.
Hoffman was a shining light at fullback in the final seven NRL rounds in an otherwise dismal season for Brisbane.
But Hodges said the Kiwi speedster must work on his passing game if he is to become a world class No.1.
"Hoffy is a great player, but at the moment I don't think he is the right guy for fullback," he said.
"He's one of the best runners I have seen with the football, but he just has to work on his passing game. That's where I think he falls down.
"You look at guys like Greggy (Inglis) and Billy (Slater), all the great fullbacks we have in our game, they have those real fast hands.
"And Hoffy just hasn't learned that yet."
Hoffman was reportedly upset when told of Barba's three-year deal in August and contemplated a release from his contract, which expires at the end of 2015, before backing down.

However, Hodges - battling back from an Achilles injury - believed being kept honest by Barba would only benefit Hoffman's game.

"I think Barba's arrival will be good for him,'' he said.
"It will be good competition.
"It (picking fullback) will be a real tough choice for Hook (Broncos coach Anthony Griffin).
"But it will be good for the Broncos having those two guys firing.''
However, Hodges said Griffin may already possess the blueprint to best utilise Hoffman after Barba's arrival.
Hodges and Hoffman successfully rotated between right centre and fullback this season before serious injury again struck down the Broncos veteran.
The recovering Hodges believed swapping first choice fullback Barba with Hoffman on either the wing or centres would prove a masterstroke for Brisbane.
"Maybe that same role Hoffy and I played towards the end of the year, swapping over, I think they can still do that,'' Hodges said.
"There's no word that Hoff has to stay on the wing forever.
"Him and Benny swapping all the time will put the defence in two minds.''

Source: No Cookies | The Courier-Mail

Posted already bb but I'm liking it again :takdir:

So much love for Hodgo, really wish he was our on field capt.

Think we really need to give one of the young guns a crack at no 6 ( who ever preforms best in the trials).

Don't want barba or hoff anywhere near the no 6.

At least Hodgo has some sense, Barba at #1 and Hoffman on the wing, but also switching with Barba a couple of times throughout the game could be beautiful, if they work on it enough.

Absolute commitment to 80 mins of aggressive defence.

In 2103, lack of both commitment/discipline largely caused by poor structure, and the utterly WRONG approach to, and attitude in defence was our biggest single flaw.

I've looked at the Manly and the Roosters defence closely - up in your face almost as soon as the dummy half passes, hard, hard hits and immediate recovery of position and structure after a tackle, not to mention effective tackles.

I've been watching lots of martial arts (and boxing) vids recently and interestingly,what is common to all the successful fighters is that they meet the opponent on the move and on the front foot, literally attacking in defence, with the body driving all movements.

Funnily enough, as many instructors said, they key is 80% cardio fitness.

There's no time and space given, and the forward momentum is always relentless. The attacker feels pain, is also rattled mentally, and the whole attack in fact stops, and goes backwards.

Like the Roosters and Manly, and unlike the Broncos.

For mine, that is priority no.1

Last edited:
In 2103, lack of both commitment/discipline largely caused by poor structure, and the utterly WRONG approach to, and attitude in defence was our biggest single flaw.

Jesus, we're still struggling in 90 years time? How is this even possible? Surely Hook is dead by then!

Jesus, we're still struggling in 90 years time? How is this even possible? Surely Hook is dead by then!

I think he'll be kept alive in a conscious frozen stasis and will pass on his words through a little microphone attached to his head.

This calls for someone with Photoshop skills to make a Futurama head in a jar reference!

HAHAHA. I won't edit that blooper.

Mars Attacks!

Pretty well all sports, team and individual sports, are determined by cardio fitness. The best guys in the UFC (GSP, Cain Velasquez et al) are all phenomenally fit athletes. Cain's maximum working heart rate is like 167, which is on par with Iron Men. We don't quite need to be at that level, but the fitter you are, the easier it is to perform physical tasks over and over at maximum effort because you don't get tired.

Pretty well all sports, team and individual sports, are determined by cardio fitness. The best guys in the UFC (GSP, Cain Velasquez et al) are all phenomenally fit athletes. Cain's maximum working heart rate is like 167, which is on par with Iron Men. We don't quite need to be at that level, but the fitter you are, the easier it is to perform physical tasks over and over at maximum effort because you don't get tired.

The cardio aspect is critical. For mine, it defines how well individuals RECOVER their position in the line after hard hitting (defence and attack). That was one of our biggest failings in 2301 :lol:

The defensive line should be like a self-reparing wall - always structured, never left with holes, always moving forward as a single line, relentlessly, and that takes a high level of cardio fitness.

Last edited:
The cardio aspect is critical. For mine, it defines how well individuals RECOVER their position in the line after hard hitting (defence and attack). That was one of our biggest failings in 2301 :lol:

The defensive line should be like a self-reparing wall - always structured, never left with holes, always moving forward as a single line, relentlessly, and that takes a high level of cardio fitness.

All the more reason the just-fired conditioner's claim that 'they were as fit as they needed to be' was laughable.

I see hunt as a great second reciever. But he needs that half back to steer the team and do the long range kicking. I hed be best on the side with reed though. What i loved about his combo with prince is prince would change the direction of the play (causing an overlap). Where hunt could then pass to his inside (parker try) if the defenders over commit to the second man play. Break the line if they present him a gap. If they leave the winger unmarked a cut out ball (hunt try first game as half) he also backs up. If none of the above are options he can just put it through the hands to the fb or centre or grubber as he has a great grubber. He has a great passing game and the vision to recognise the flaws in the defensive line. His running game also puts that bit of doubt in the defenders mind. My only concern is who will step up in leading the team and calling plays in addition to long kicking. From his last few games i suspect we have forty minutes of this through macca. But we need a stable and mature 7. If we get that i think we will challenge for the best attacking team next year. Unfortunately we wont.

1. Barba

2. Yow yeh (i think he will surprise many)/ vidot

3. Reed

4. Hodges / vidot / copely

5. Hoffman

7. Hunt

8. Kennedy

9. Macca

10. Hannant

11. Gillett

12. Glenn

13. Parker

14. Baptiste / Granville

15. Thaiday

16. Moose

17. Oates

18. Dodds

19. Stagg

20. Lowrie

21. Vidot

22. Copely

23. Granville

24. Taylor

25. Slyney

26. Mills

not many in 25. That's what id like to see with the names coming first the preference. Notable ommision is 6
Glenn and gillet swapped as Glenn doesn't seem to have a combination with ben hunt yet. Gillett and hunt combined very well with reed on the left. Add Hoffman to that and we have a leading try scorer. I realise baptiste most likely will not re sign. Thaiday i think could be up there with segeyaro as one of the best benchies in the game.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.