Round 1 2014

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah pretty much, I was more impressed of Cullen in that redcliffe game against Ipswich even if the opposition defense was absent, I reckon for the first two trials(assuming we have 3) we should just give all the young players in contention a run just to see what they have to offer, whoever impresses the most can get first chance at impressing alongside Hunt in the next trial, assuming we don't sign anyone else.

My question becomes what about those promising talents if we do sign a long term half, say Milford and play him in the halves.

I guess one scenario is that Hunt doesn't live up to expectations, but I somehow doubt it even if wishful thinking

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
It's nice and all to think we will sign someone like Milford or DCE but we can't fall into the hole of thinking its a done deal either, gotta keep planning for the future, I just hope if we do end up going down this route we don't just do a half arsed job of it like we did with Hunt.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
Molo looks like he would make a great impact prop eg burgess and fifita. Great leg speed and runs with no fear and at full steam making him very difficult to stop.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Molo scores a lot of tries too which we need! What if Mccullough moves to half/five eighth spot and Granville plays 9?

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
It's nice and all to think we will sign someone like Milford or DCE but we can't fall into the hole of thinking its a done deal either, gotta keep planning for the future, I just hope if we do end up going down this route we don't just do a half arsed job of it like we did with Hunt.

I agree with this.

The days of playing players out of position should be well and truly over.

If we don't have enough options/talent at the club for a certain position (which i'm sure we do) then we just need to go out and buy a player who can fill that role for us.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Please do not put McCullough at five-eight we have plenty of other better options.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Please do not put McCullough at five-eight we have plenty of other better options.

We actually don't at the moment. I wouldn't be against trialing Macca at 5/8 and giving Granville and Baptise the no 9 duties for next year if Macca shows some promise in the halves.

I can't remember if we still have Baptise for next season.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008

One of them being blind faith that Milford sign?

McCullough is probably well up in the list on Griffin's options.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Mccullough is a somewhat creative player though so it could work. And he's a leader. And having him, Hunt and Granville on the field would surely set up more tries than this year. Plus they could roam around and swap positions throughout the game. Obviously if it doesn't work we could change it and give the young fellas a go.

D

Darren Lockyer

Oct 22, 2013
I believe this should be the team and lets me realistic Justin Hodges will be pushing for a round 1 start but will eventually come back round 10 hopefully if all is going well but you never know with Hodges it could be later or even earlier. Also, hopefully Jharl Yow Yeh makes a successful return sometime next year but who knows he might not even be able to play in the backs, he has definitely bulked up a bit and his ankle may not allow it.

1. Josh Hoffman (going really well there in the second half of the season - needs to work on passing game if he wants to stay there)
2. Jordan Kahu
3. Jack Read
4. Dale Copley
5. Corey Oates
6. Ben Barba (until we get a better five eight, hopefully Anthon Milford, and then we put Barba back to fullback, Hoffman to wing and Oates to bench as mainly a back row but fill in for any injuries (Hodges)
7. Ben Hunt (with no halves hopefully he will improve with time - although he will be the experienced of the two halves whoever he plays with)

8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Josh McGuire
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Matt Gillet
13. Corey Parker

14. Jack Granville
15. Alex Glenn
16. Martin Kennedy
17. David Hala

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Macca and Hunt used to play in the halves together at u20 level, why couldn't it work? Especially if we get Smith although no chance of that happening. I'd love to see Baptiste given a shot at the nine.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Didn't McCullough get moved to hooker because he wasn't cutting it in the halves?

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I wouldn't say he set the world on fire there but did a decent enough job, over time he was manufactured into a hooker at one stage but that was more out of need in first grade given the Broncos had other halves options coming through the ranks, then somewhere in the mix they thought Hunt our best halfback prospect should be his interchange buddy so its hard to read exactly where he belongs in the mess over the years that got us here. TBH I wouldn't be against playing him in at 5/8th if it came to that, even just for next season and then giving someone like Granville or Baptiste a run at hooker giving us an opportunity to look at other options there too. That would give us opportunity to see more dummy half options who can provide real variety in attack for us while giving us a solid option at 5/8th both in attack and defense and also keeping Barba out of the halves defensively, certainly has some merit.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
McCullough is not a first grade half if anyone apart from maybe milford, should be kahu, strasser, Cullen, nikorima, taylor and paia'aua.

Marty Deutschmann

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Captain
Oct 23, 2013
I'm sure they will trial Kahu at 5/8th if he puts his hand up for a go.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
So Kahu is a first grade half and so are all the other blokes we have but Macca isn't based on what? Based on u20?? Guess what, only one of them has been a season long five-eighth who made the u20 GF and it's the one who apparently isn't a 5/8th.

I'm not advocating for Macca, I want us to use Strasser but just playing devil's advocate.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
just don't think McCullough would make a good first grade half that's all.

Unread

Active Now

• Justwin
  • broncoscope
  • BruiserMk1
  • bb_gun
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • Hoof Hearted
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Alec
  • Bish
  • Harry Sack
  • davidp
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.