Round 1 2014

Hodges will probably be back round one he said it himself

Personally, i really can't see Hodges being ready for round 1 ... and i hope he isn't rushed back unless he's 100% fit.

We've got plenty of good young kids who can step up and have a crack at the centre position, so hopefully one of them impresses in the pre-season trials and gets a shot for round 1.

Whenever Hodges says he'll be ready, add 6 weeks to get a better estimate.

I can tell you that Hodges won't be ready Round 1, despite what he says.

Round 1 team for 2014, if we don't sign anyone else ~ (This is what I predict, not what I want)

1. Hoffman
2. Kahu
3. Reed
4. Vidot
5. Yow Yeh
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday (c)
13. Parker

14. Kennedy
15. Glenn
16. Hala
17. Lowrie

Depth: Oates, Dodds, Stagg, J.Wallace, Mills, Copley, Drew, Strasser, Granville, Molo.

He may be World Cup defending champion New Zealand’s first choice fullback, but Josh Hoffman “is not the right guy” to wear the Broncos No.1 jersey, Brisbane teammate Justin Hodges says.

Hoffman has been named fullback for the Kiwis’ warm-up clash with the Cook Islands in England this weekend and is considered a key to their title defence.

However, a question mark looms over Hoffman’s place in the Broncos backline next year after the signings of Dally M Medallist Ben Barba, Canberra’s Daniel Vidot and Cronulla’s Stewart Mills.

Hoffman was a shining light at fullback in the final seven NRL rounds in an otherwise dismal season for Brisbane.

But Hodges said the Kiwi speedster must work on his passing game if he was to become a world class No.1.

“Hoffy is a great player, but at the moment I don’t think he is the right guy for fullback,” he told AAP.

“He’s one of the best runners I have seen with the football, but he just has to work on his passing game. That’s where I think he falls down.

“You look at guys like Greggy (Inglis) and Billy (Slater), all the great fullbacks we have in our game, they have those real fast hands.

“And Hoffy just hasn’t learned that yet.”

Hoffman was reportedly upset when told of Barba’s three-year deal in August and was believed to have contemplated a release from his contract, which expires at the end of 2015, before backing down.

However, Hodges – battling back from an Achilles injury – believed being kept honest by Barba would only benefit Hoffman’s game.

“I think Barba’s arrival will be good for him,” he said.

“It will be good competition.

“It (picking fullback) will be a real tough choice for Hook (Broncos coach Anthony Griffin).

“But it will be good for the Broncos having those two guys firing.”

However, Hodges said Griffin may already possess the blueprint to best utilise Hoffman after Barba’s arrival.

Hodges and Hoffman successfully rotated between right centre and fullback this season before serious injury again struck down the Broncos veteran.

The recovering Hodges believed swapping first choice fullback Barba with Hoffman on either the wing or centres would prove a masterstroke for Brisbane.

“Maybe that same role Hoffy and I played towards the end of the year, swapping over, I think they can still do that,” Hodges said.

“There’s no word that Hoff has to stay on the wing forever.

“Him and Benny swapping all the time will put the defence in two minds.”

Comments

Read more: Hoffman ?not right? for fullback: Hodges | Sports News

Love how honest Hodges is with his comments - and how spot on he is these days.

With the signing of Lowrie and it looking more unlikely that we'll get Milford, this could be a likely Round 1 Broncos team:

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Mills/Hodges
5. Copely/Yow Yeh/Vidot
6. Gillett
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Kennedy
11. Lowrie
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. McGuire
16. Stagg
17. Hala

With the signing of Lowrie and it looking more unlikely that we'll get Milford, this could be a likely Round 1 Broncos team:

1. Barba
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Mills/Hodges
5. Copely/Yow Yeh/Vidot
6. Gillett
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Kennedy
11. Lowrie
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Glenn
15. McGuire
16. Stagg
17. Hala

get rid of mills if anyone other than hodges its kahu or vidot

Hodges is a god.

Spiritual captain, coach & recruitment officer.

Hodges is just the man, massive respect to him for telling it how he sees it.

Don't think hook will start our vice captain from the bench and I reckon yow yeh will be in the centres with vidot/Kahu/Copley on the wing. As for the 6, it's anyones guess really. I am really banking on hunt to own 2014, we are gonna need him to

Hodges is openly telling Hook what we all know, gotta love the guy!

Hodges sounds like he knows what he's talking about.

Hopefully he'll also realise that he goes into dummy half a bit too much.

Glad to hear someone within the playing group is seeing what the rest of us are. I love having Hoffman at the Broncos but he doesn't have the passing game we need. That doesn't mean it won't develop over time but right now we need Barba at fullback. Hoffman at centre while Hodges is out then moving on to the wing is what the balance of the team needs. In time one of them moves into the halves while the other takes the fullback role.

Now things get a little more complicated if Milford arrives next year...

Active Now

• Santa
  • leon.bott
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • john1420
  • Bucking Beads
  • KnToad
  • Broncorob
  • Culhwch
  • NSW stables
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Gaz
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Ondi
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Manofoneway
  • Strop
  • FACTHUNT
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.