PRE-GAME [Round 1, 2023] Panthers vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least we can give up the Herbie at centre experiment and **** him off back to the wing where his subpar passing game won't be such a liability. I'd still keep him in the side though, with Cobbo at fulback (for at least this week) and Mariner into centre. Then when Walsh returns, Cobbo to centre, with Mariner and Herbie fighting it out for the wing.
Herbie is the best Centre we have. Why would we play him on the wing?

At least we can give up the Herbie at centre experiment and **** him off back to the wing where his subpar passing game won't be such a liability. I'd still keep him in the side though, with Cobbo at fulback (for at least this week) and Mariner into centre. Then when Walsh returns, Cobbo to centre, with Mariner and Herbie fighting it out for the wing.
Herbie is definitely a better winger than centre and I feel we no longer need to appease him with "higher rated" positions... like centre, fullback, etc. (If we were doing that to re-sign him).

However I'm not sure 1 week out from the start of the season is a good time to make a large shift like that.

We have 3 byes throughout the season... so with Herbie making his intentions clear I think one of those bye weeks would be more appropriate to shift Cobbo over to the left. If that's the way we want to go.

We're trying to make the finals this year so I dont think throwing all the toys out of the cot, because Herbie is moving on next year, are the actions of a successful team.

Let the season settle into a groove and then determine if a change is needed.

If Herbie chugs along as a top tier centre and is helping us win games then I dont see a need to rush into 2024.

If his form drops below what we need and they think Cobbo can handle left centre without many reps, including defense... then you start to think about making the shift

Inspite of Herbie choosing a different path from next year, I don’t think Kev’s that sort of a bloke who would punt him for someone else. Truly speaking, Herbie has earned the right to look after his career/payday/preferred position. He had stuck with us during dark times & he’s intending to spread his wings somewhere else.

It looks like the club must’ve known the news prior to it becoming public but have stayed the course with Herbie playing left center.
Let’s make most of it whilst Herbie is still here & win the big ‘one.

While I don’t think Herbie or Flegler are critical losses in a vacuum, it does provide further concerns that we aren’t a club players want to stay at. All roosters jokes aside, compare it to Manu staying at the roosters despite not being his best position. Robinson found a way to give Manu greater responsibility in the team despite remaining at centre.

It’s easy to say oh well, if we lose both Herbie and Flegler we still have Mariner and Haas - except both these players have tried to break contract and expressed strong desires to leave the club themselves. That doesn’t feel me with confidence.

The other concern is that we have invested so much time into these guys while they have been raw and inconsistent, only for them to finally reach the age and experience to be reliable NRL players and then immediately leave, forcing us to again rely on youth.

Cobbo can shift to centre next season and he will be great, but he will only be 21. 2 or 3 years short of being an established professional. He may get there around 2025 which is also when his contract is up and he’s already publicly disparaged the coach so who knows if he’ll stick around. Then we have Mariner on the right wing adjusting to first grade and free to leave at the end of 2024.

Personally I would consider releasing Herbie and playing Arthurs at left centre and using Herbie’s money to either upgrade and extend Mariner or spread it around to give us extra space next season to buy a replacement for Flegler who is 25 years or older with 100+ first grade games.

I really don't understand why, on a fan forum, some of you feel a need to bag out fans who respond emotionally to news like this. Nothing wrong with passion.

There's responding emotionally and with passion, and then there's cursing out a guy who has simply done what the rules of his profession allow him to do, and suggesting the punishment for that - again, simply doing what he's permitted to do, and looking after his own interests - should be to **** off and warm the bench in reggies...

Sometimes I really don't understand why on a fan forum some people act like they aren't actually fans of the team at all.

I really don't understand why, on a fan forum, some of you feel a need to bag out fans who respond emotionally to news like this. Nothing wrong with passion.
Being a fan means you can say stupid childish shit, cuz of "pAshUN" I'll cop that excuse during a live game and you say something in the heat of the action etc. But for days/weeks/months/years some of the childish grudges and petty opinions are so unrealistic and stupid.

Some of the comments on this site would be looked upon in shame in a Facebook comments section.

The 40 year old with his face painted and wearing a Broncos’ flag as a cape has passion- I don’t want to hear him though.

I don't want to hear from guys who toot their own trumpet when they get something right and go strangely quiet when they don't either. I also don't want to listen to posters with constant bad takes on subjects as well but I will accept it because it is part of the community. I don't agree with a lot of what is said on here and some posters I really can't stand but I respect their right to post and express how they feel so long as they don't cross a line. And that 40 year old is a fan, what right do I have to tell a fellow fan how they should or shouldn't express themselves?

Broncs paying $5.00 for the win... not getting the love from the punters.
Penrith are going to be pissed off and keen to make a statement after losing the WCC.

Herbie is the best Centre we have. Why would we play him on the wing?

What rating system are you using ?

I would play him on the wing like I was suggesting last pre season . I think Cobbo is a super star in waiting . Herb is a good tradesman not much more .

If his form drops below what we need and they think Cobbo can handle left centre without many reps, including defense... then you start to think about making the shift

Cobbo played right centre in 2021 ...

We should win this. We play so much better as the underdogs. Also hopefully Penrith are a bit rusty and will take time to click.

Definitely need to be up by at least 14 by half time. Need to score on all our chances. No dumb errors.

We should win this. We play so much better as the underdogs. Also hopefully Penrith are a bit rusty and will take time to click.

Definitely need to be up by at least 14 by half time. Need to score on all our chances. No dumb errors.
Should?! This isn’t the Santa I know. We will flog these cats. Broncos by 50

Some of the comments on this site would be looked upon in shame in a Facebook comments section.
BHQ has no similarity to fb. The Bronco's official page contains the stupidest people on the planet and that isn't an exaggeration. They look like they are missing a chromosome or two and decent grammar is totally non existent.

They are pretty clever around here. Some are very passionate and maybe invest a bit too much into the sport. Others have their conspiracy theories but that's just an anxiety thing.

The knowledge and precise memory of some fans on here are astounding. They certainly have me covered in those departments and others. Thank God for BHQ because without it, there wouldn't be a decent RL social media platform around. Pete Badel is certainly very appreciative because this is where he gets all his scoops.

BHQ has no similarity to fb. The Bronco's official page contains the stupidest people on the planet and that isn't an exaggeration. They look like they are missing a chromosome or two and decent grammar is totally non existent.

They are pretty clever around here. Some are very passionate and maybe invest a bit too much into the sport. Others have their conspiracy theories but that's just an anxiety thing.

The knowledge and precise memory of some fans on here are astounding. They certainly have me covered in those departments and others. Thank God for BHQ because without it, there wouldn't be a decent RL social media platform around. Pete Badel is certainly very appreciative because this is where he gets all his scoops.

Exactly. I'm getting so sick of people doing these subtle and not so subtle digs at this forum. It is EASILY one of the best out there. Everyone on here contributes something and most of the time, it is such better conversation than elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • johnny plath
  • bb_gun
  • YeahNahMate
  • broncos4life
  • sooticus
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Socnorb
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.