Round 1 - Broncos Vs Sea Eagles - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'd have liked to see Stagg start, Parker in the 2nd row, Hannant in the front row and Thaiday and Gillett off the bench. This is assuming the players understand that the bench isn't necessarily a demotion, but unfortunately that's not how it works in the NRL.

What would your bench look like Dave?

Mine would look like this:
bench.jpeg

14. Baptiste/Bond
15. Gillett
16. Gibb
17. Hala (depends on fitness)

Oh-you-93067263235.jpeg

EDIT: Big Dave - Cool, I don't think Hala is 100% yet, who would take his place?

Last edited:
Yeah not a bad idea. Out of those I'd go Molo but his defence against the Titans worried me. I'd give him a couple of rounds in the NYC to get into the swing of things before introducing him to first grade.

Would you consider J. Wallace?

1. It's a very weak bench
2. Removing Hunt who has been successful in stages and is showing improvement in the bench hooker role and possibly replacing him with Bond (a Qcup fullback with 0 NRL experience) is bizarre
3. Placing Gibb & Timu/Molo, players that have no experience (virtually) and are very suspect in defence over players like dodds and stagg is WEAKENING the side
4. This bench would give us the least chance of winning, thus the reason why I think the opposition coach would pick it.

... I don't know how else to explain

No no that's good b4l. I don't necessarily agree with all your points but glad you expanded on what you said.

I'll be honest, I hate vague criticisms. All well and good to bag somebody out but without offering an alternative what good are you?

It would be great to have a young prop like Wallace, Molo or Hala on the bench but if they aren't ready or up to it fitness wise then Dodds is the man.

Ideally you would like to put your best 17 out on the field for round 1, though really thats not always possible particularly when players have only featured lightly in the trials or not at all and I don't know if I would want a lot of question marks over players fitness levels early on, thats why I prefer to see Gillett starting in the backrow and Thaiday doing work in the frontrow because Thaiday doesn't have the fitness levels to play effectively in the secondrow that Gillett can provide for a far longer period. It also has the double benefit of giving Gillett real motivation to step up make a case and put pressure other players around him to perform for a spot in starting 13, his performed well during the trials and I want to see more of that so its a good opportunity for him.

Hala's situation at present is unknown, I don't even know if his featured in any trials at any level has he? Not sure rushing him back with the injury problems his had over the years is such a great idea.

Last edited:
1. It's a very weak bench
2. Removing Hunt who has been successful in stages and is showing improvement in the bench hooker role and possibly replacing him with Bond (a Qcup fullback with 0 NRL experience) is bizarre
3. Placing Gibb & Timu/Molo, players that have no experience (virtually) and are very suspect in defence over players like dodds and stagg is WEAKENING the side
4. This bench would give us the least chance of winning, thus the reason why I think the opposition coach would pick it.

... I don't know how else to explain

Hunt coming of the bench has been a failure. He either starts in the halves or be left right out We need some speed around the ruck. Baptiste can provide that. Hunt doesn't offer anything new coming off the bench. As for Bond.. he was originally a halfback. He's nippy with a good pass on him. He could be out little Preston Campbell.
So how did Dodds and Stagg get experience to begin with?

Hunt coming of the bench has been a failure. He either starts in the halves or be left right out We need some speed around the ruck. Baptiste can provide that. Hunt doesn't offer anything new coming off the bench. As for Bond.. he was originally a halfback. He's nippy with a good pass on him. He could be out little Preston Campbell.
So how did Dodds and Stagg get experience to begin with?

Sorry my mistake your right, get hook on the phone and get molo, timu, gibb and bond/Baptiste on to the bench stat!

I agree that no picking Hunt on the bench is probably best for both us and him. He's never going to make it as a hooker. He should be playing in the halves in QLD Cup, and Granville or Baptiste should be the replacement hooker, someone who could actually put some pressure on McCullough to perform.

I'm all for giving experience to our up an comers, but filling a bench with zero FG experience is a recipe for disaster. One at a time is enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• TimWhatley
  • Stix
  • whykickamoocow
  • Waynesaurus
  • Pablo
  • theshed
  • porouian
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • winslow_wong
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mr Fourex
  • Justwin
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Morkel
  • Big Del
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Nerd
  • Sproj
... and 21 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.