Round 1 - Broncos Vs Sea Eagles - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought you were one of Elia Turdqueeri's alias for a while.......

Last edited:
I thought you were one of Elia Turdqueeri's alias for a while.......

Are you serious? No amount of soap can take away this dirty feeling...

For mine, the single biggest change for this year is a half who will actually look to set up plays out wide AND get the ball out as often as possible to fringe runners, like Gillett and Glenn, and give lots of quality ball to Hodges in particular. Enter Scott Prince.

My take on much of the criticism of the performances of Gillett, Hoffman, Reed, and to an extent, Hodges in 2012 is that they simply didn't get enough quality ball, and get it in a position where they had some space and time to show their skills.

Gillett and Hoffman were so effective in 2010 in particular because Lockyer was setting the plays and giving them quality ball. I hope Prince plays to our strengths as Lockyer did, and as I know he can, and what was seriously missing in this side in 2012.

Thaiday at prop? I just can't agree with that. Even if Thaiday does a good job up the middle, he is much more effective on the edges and again, with Prince calling the shots, he is another player whose strengths could be better used where he belongs - in the back row, running wide.

I maintain that Parker is no longer mobile enough for the back row and would be best in the prop rotation. This year, I can see him having problems defending against really quick mobile forwards.

Perhaps Griffin is encouraging Thaiday to play a Bulldogs Prop style role to do a bit of ball playing at the line? Perhaps he sees Thaiday better at this role than Hannant in the early stages.

Who's ready for Ray Hadley's comentary next Friday night?

Who's ready for Ray Hadley's comentary next Friday night?
suicide.jpg

Only one game on Friday, isn't there? Might not be Hadley's commentary after all!

You make a good point, but last year the Broncos played the Eels in Parra which wasn't too far for Rabbs to go. This year we're at home, so might be too far for the great man to travel.

For mine, the single biggest change for this year is a half who will actually look to set up plays out wide AND get the ball out as often as possible to fringe runners, like Gillett and Glenn, and give lots of quality ball to Hodges in particular. Enter Scott Prince.

My take on much of the criticism of the performances of Gillett, Hoffman, Reed, and to an extent, Hodges in 2012 is that they simply didn't get enough quality ball, and get it in a position where they had some space and time to show their skills.

Gillett and Hoffman were so effective in 2010 in particular because Lockyer was setting the plays and giving them quality ball. I hope Prince plays to our strengths as Lockyer did, and as I know he can, and what was seriously missing in this side in 2012.

Thaiday at prop? I just can't agree with that. Even if Thaiday does a good job up the middle, he is much more effective on the edges and again, with Prince calling the shots, he is another player whose strengths could be better used where he belongs - in the back row, running wide.

I maintain that Parker is no longer mobile enough for the back row and would be best in the prop rotation. This year, I can see him having problems defending against really quick mobile forwards.
I am hoping like everyone else here that Prince makes a difference to our team but just remember that if he plays as he has done for the past two seasons then we will be worse than last year.
we need him to play like the Scott Prince of 3 years ago and previous.
this is the sole reason Hook would not commit to him before the trials. He looked okay in the trials which is promising

I think/hope Hooks plan is thaiday as a ball playing forward. It would show he recognises the deficiencies in our attack. If thaiday gets to his best formmhe could be very good in this position as his runs could be damaging and he will have the opposition second guessing themselves thanks to in my opinion his good hands. None of our frf or parker were ball players last season. Even Gillette and Glenn mostly went themselves. If we play that same style this year parker would be a much better prop. Thaiday would need to be played wide (thaiday and Gillette being the only forwards that seemed willing to pass) with stag being our lock and Glenn being the impact player. I hope so much that the broncos do learn to pass this season and Hook plays thaiday as the next kasiano.

Perhaps Griffin is encouraging Thaiday to play a Bulldogs Prop style role to do a bit of ball playing at the line? Perhaps he sees Thaiday better at this role than Hannant in the early stages.

I think Hannant could be effective in that role. When I think about we miss a player like a Greg Eastwood..

Dam being away for the last week with work, missing all the important updates..

Hook pulls a wildcard out of the box with Thaiday starting prop. Good move IMO. Hannant will add real impact of the bench. Gillett earning starting spot is promising.

Dodds must have done a lot in the offseason to be first in line for the bench spot.

And finally, Norman at the back, I think with Prince feeding him quality ball he could be dangerous though wonder if he'll have to work on support play?

I don't think Normans support play is that bad. He nabbed 10 tries last season, which is more than what Hoffman has managed over the past two seasons combined.

I think Hannant could be effective in that role. When I think about we miss a player like a Greg Eastwood..

Yes to missing Eastwood......

as for the ball playing prop, I thought Parker would be the better option than Thaiday. Over the last couple years he has implemented a good hit and spin off load into his game and more often than seems to be able to get his arms free.

I can see Thaiday getting desperate to off load which will lead to poor ball security. Rather Sam was running 2-3 wide where he does his best work.

Last edited:
Dam being away for the last week with work, missing all the important updates..

Hook pulls a wildcard out of the box with Thaiday starting prop. Good move IMO. Hannant will add real impact of the bench. Gillett earning starting spot is promising.

Dodds must have done a lot in the offseason to be first in line for the bench spot.

And finally, Norman at the back, I think with Prince feeding him quality ball he could be dangerous though wonder if he'll have to work on support play?

Support play is actually one of the few things Norman does well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  • IceWorks
  • Fitzy
  • Xzei
  • eazy-duzzit
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.