Round 1 Discussion

Raiders have been decent. I thought the Cowboys would be a lot better.
Showed some good signs but just slacked off and some silly errors cost us, promising but I want to see how they back up next week.

I see Ricky brought one of his set pieces from Parra though, turn your back on someone who takes a quick tap so they can run the length for a try ala Benji against Parra last year.

The Canberra Faders are back in town, I had a feeling that they would wear down towards the end due to Ricky's intensity.

@ Bushman, Would you have any idea why Croker only took 1 shot at goal all night? I thought that was a bit strange.

Last edited:
Ricky said in the press conference that Croker got a cork early.

I wouldn't say Raiders wore down towards the end due to Ricky's intensity, if anything that kept us in the game for 80minutes, past few years in that sort of situation the opposition would've piled on a couple of tries in the dying minutes to blow the scoreline right out. Townsvilles been a graveyard for us since 2006 so that match would probably be the best result we've had there since then.

Last edited:
Still think Jack Wighton should be in the centres. It's kind of like our situation with Hoffman, only Wighton is a far better ball player, but you'd still think they'd be better served just bringing Cornish in.

The Cowboys at home are my favourite team in the NRL to watch and Thurston is a big reason for that ... there's something about his play that reminds me of yesteryear when players were permitted to use their instincts ... Its just raw uncomplicated talent

He was in fine form last night. Every attacking kick perfectly weighted, and loved that cheeky quick tap to race off and score.

On that note, I'm really interested to see how he goes in Origin this year with the new rule changes.

Last edited:
Still think Jack Wighton should be in the centres. It's kind of like our situation with Hoffman, only Wighton is a far better ball player, but you'd still think they'd be better served just bringing Cornish in.
Agree mate, Wigton should make a good half one day but he needs more time and I think he'd be best served doing his apprenticeship in the centres, in attack Cornish provides more of what we need. In saying that Wighton will improve and have learnt from that game, its been awhile since he's played there.

Side note on the game, anyone notice Thurstons cheating with the kicks for goals, tries scored on the touch line yet his kicks were always a metre or two in

He was in fine form last night. Every attacking kick perfectly weighted, and loved that cheeky quick tap to race off and score.
Yep which is why I'm not too disappointed with the loss, JT in that form will put bigger scores against most teams than he did last night. If we keep that effort up top 8 isn't beyond us.

Yep which is why I'm not too disappointed with the loss, JT in that form will put bigger scores against most teams than he did last night. If we keep that effort up top 8 isn't beyond us.

Granted, they did well to stay in touch more much of that game. If they play to that level, they're definitely in with a chance.

In the other hand, I remember the Eels flying out of the blocks last year under Ricky, and we know how their season panned out. Not that it solely comes down to coaching, but I think the Sticky one may not be good for their long term prospects.

Ricky is coaching the same way he did at his previous clubs by training them hard with high intensity levels. The Raiders squad needs devolepment and maturing and someone with excellent man management skills to guide them. Ricky might do some good but he needs to change his coaching style if he is going to have a long stint.

Ricky is coaching the same way he did at his previous clubs by training them hard with high intensity levels. The Raiders squad needs devolepment and maturing and someone with excellent man management skills to guide them. Ricky might do some good but he needs to change his coaching style if he is going to have a long stint.

That's pretty much how I see it, BMan. I think his fire and brimstone style can instil a side with some steel in the short term, but he needs to balance that out. Can't be tough love all the time.

That's pretty much how I see it, BMan. I think his fire and brimstone style can instil a side with some steel in the short term, but he needs to balance that out. Can't be tough love all the time.
Yep but that's what was needed at the Raiders unfortunately.

Players have been saying how Ricky's mixed up the training and a lot more fun than its previously been so hopefully Ricky being home working underneath close friends helps him keep the balance and mellows him out a bit, it would be the friendliest and safest environment he's ever worked in.

Said it before but he's a strange one, fans think very poorly of him but players (even former ones) tend to speak highly of him.

Said it before but he's a strange one, fans think very poorly of him but players (even former ones) tend to speak highly of him.

Sounds like our own Cap'n Hook...

Dragons and tigers game looks to be the battle for the spoon, how the **** did they get the Sunday tv game

Always difficult to schedule Round 1 games because quality can't really be assured.

In the end, I'd imagine Dragons v Tigers received the Sunday slot because the Dragons have one of the better followings in the competition and the Tigers are considered one of the more entertaining teams in the competition.

Ideally, you'd swap that game out for Manly v Melbourne but given I have Foxtel, I'm happy with the schedule the way it was. Maybe they could have swapped the Thursday/Friday game around to try and maximize the crowds, but it's not that big a deal.

Dragons and tigers game looks to be the battle for the spoon, how the **** did they get the Sunday tv game

Yeah I'm not even bothering to watch it tbh

Going to miss Eels / Warriors due to watching Wolf Creek 2 this evening. Reckon it would be entertaining, if nothing else. Hoping for some big fantasy scores!

Active Now

• davidp
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Big Del
  • Santa
  • Aldo
  • Brotherdu
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • RolledOates
  • Ondi
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.