Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

So much butt hurt about kodi , Darius etc. Thought both did ok , first game back and everything was clunky attack wise. We did really well to get back in the game, am proud of the effort. As for Darius not putting his body on the line , obviously didn't watch the game. I will hold my judgment on this team until round 10 , not after 1 game.

Alex Glenn was shit his defence was terrible and didn’t protect Milford at all.

My take aways -

Oates and Lodge were fantastic.

Our defence was better considering the pressure we were under in the first half, however all of their trys were really disappointing. One off a knock on, one off multiple offloads and possible knock-on, we have to wrap them up better close to the line, and I don't need to go through the try's through Boyd and Niko.

Milf looked extremely under done. Niko was most threatening.

Our kicking was very poor, but we were mostly kicking out of our own half which is never ideal.

Bird will be better for the run.

Offa was disappointing.

Overall, we showed character to defend our arses off and come back and make it a game. I was expecting a loss first up to the Storm and we did just enough to show that we'll be competitive with the big boys once we are more fluid and match fit.

Hopefully Lodge isn't rubbed out for too long as he was our best player last night

Kodi Nikorima isn't a halfback. He has never been one. He will never be one. He needs to go. Just pull the trigger now, put a kid in there, and take the risk.

I thought there were rumours in the off season that Macca had been working on his service speed? What happened there?

I saw a lot to like, but without a 7, what's the point?
I agree on both points, but at least they both bust their guts every time they step on the field.

I think one of our biggest problems is our captain is the complete opposite. His attitude absolutely stinks. He shows no desperation and no ticker.

McCullough, as slow as he is, gave chase all the way on Scott even though he knew he was never going to get him. Boyd gave up.

Boyd gave up on Kaufusi, Kaufusi dropped the ball anyway.
Boyd gave up on another of their try scorers, even when he was close enough to put pressure on him if he wanted to.
I believe Boyd wanted nothing to do with tackling Bromwich, otherwise I just don’t understand how he falls for a dummy and gets stepped when all the support players were comfortably covered.
There is a break and Oates, the opposite winger, is there in support but Boyd, the fullback, is no where to be seen.

It’s just terrible leadership, is toxic to team culture and stunts the development and success of such a young and impressionable squad.

It’s no surprise the teams that have strong squads and sustained success have strong leaders providing the kids with someone to look up to and aspire to emulate. We simply don’t have that.

Last edited:
I agree on both points, but at least they both bust their guts every time they step on the field.

I think one of our biggest problems is our captain is the complete opposite. His attitude absolutely stinks. He shows no desperation and no ticker.

McCullough, as slow as he is, gave chase all the way on Scott even though he knew he was never going to get him. Boyd gave up.

Boyd gave up on Kaufusi, Kaufusi dropped the ball anyway.
Boyd gave up on another of their try scorers, even when he was close enough to put pressure on him if he wanted to.
I believe Boyd wanted nothing to do with tackling Bromwich, otherwise I just don’t understand how he falls for a dummy and gets stepped when all the support players were comfortably covered.
There is a break and Oates, the opposite winger, is there in support but Boyd, the fullback, is no where to be seen.

It’s just terrible leadership, is toxic to team culture and stunts the development and success of such a young and impressionable squad.

It’s no surprise the teams that have strong squads and sustained success have strong leaders providing the kids with someone to look up to and aspire to emulate. We simply don’t have that.

Boyd put his body on the line to clean up a kick and beat ado carr to another ball and cleared from in goal . Was a couple of others to , agree he could've done more on Bromwich.

Some of you are a bunch of bitchs

My take aways -

Oates and Lodge were fantastic.

Our defence was better considering the pressure we were under in the first half, however all of their trys were really disappointing. One off a knock on, one off multiple offloads and possible knock-on, we have to wrap them up better close to the line, and I don't need to go through the try's through Boyd and Niko.

Milf looked extremely under done. Niko was most threatening.

Our kicking was very poor, but we were mostly kicking out of our own half which is never ideal.

Bird will be better for the run.

Offa was disappointing.

Overall, we showed character to defend our arses off and come back and make it a game. I was expecting a loss first up to the Storm and we did just enough to show that we'll be competitive with the big boys once we are more fluid and match fit.

Hopefully Lodge isn't rubbed out for too long as he was our best player last night

You can’t be too harsh on Milford he was getting 100% targeted by storm and was getting next to no support from Glenn.

Boyd went for the intercept. Thing that shits me is that all the support players were well covered and Boyd just had to get his body in front to slow Bromwich up. He didn't need to go for the intercept. Fucking dumb football.

Boyd went for the intercept. Thing that shits me is that all the support players were well covered and Boyd just had to get his body in front to slow Bromwich up. He didn't need to go for the intercept. Fucking dumb football.
IMO go for the man with the ball. if he passes to his support runners, nothing you can do - but you can't bitch out on taking the guy with the ball, that's a sin. At least have a fucking go mate.

You can’t be too harsh on Milford he was getting 100% targeted by storm and was getting next to no support from Glenn.

I agree here. Kaufusi should not have been able to keep running at Milf the way he did. Glenn should have seen him targeting Milf and shut that down. Gillette and Sua both put good shots on asofa-solomona heading for Kodi early on in the game and he really didn't try it again and was relatively quiet.

I think Melbourne played really well and were not off their game at all. So all in all I am not that disappointed in the first hit out. Think about the last times we have played storm. We still have leadership problems but lets give this team time to start playing to the new style given to them before we write them off.

Last edited:
Boyd put his body on the line to clean up a kick and beat ado carr to another ball and cleared from in goal . Was a couple of others to , agree he could've done more on Bromwich.

Some of you are a bunch of bitchs
Agreed on the tough grubber he fielded, I even said as much in an earlier post.

Don’t agree on the JAC one though. Regardless, he has to do both those things you raised because that is his job as fullback and especially as captain.

Problem is, over the last season and a bit he has had more pivotal, game impacting moments where he is found not doing his job than doing it.

That’s not professional and it’s not leadership.

I don’t understand why Flegler saw so little game time he was putting the shots on and the game was actually turning when he was on.

I'm not sure either but could be a few things - and I'm only guessing here though.
A) He might have gassed himself with his effort and the real pace of the nrl. It's a massive jump and step up for a kid on debut at 19.
B) seibold science, he is known to monitor GPS and all that science stuff during training game simulation and real games and once players hit certain thresholds or their peak he reacts accordingly.

C) seibold may have only given him a short stint to get a feel for grade and then reverted back to his more experienced pack to try take on the Melbourne forwards.

I remember seibold during his pre NRL top job days, he would only let players run a certain amount of klm's at training and simulate this on game day.
He would read the science and data and work off that.
For instance some players would be allowed to run 4.7klms and once they hit that mark they then had to stop training. Other players had different numbers and thresholds. All that science stuff is way above my head.

You were always going to post something negative about the first game and that’s all you’ve got ha haha.

Well we also got towelled up so there’s that. Would have been positive had we played well, so there’s also that.

Seibold didn’t impress me with how he handled himself last year and he did look rattled last night.

Last edited:
I was pretty disappointed no one chased Curtis Scott except for Macca. Oates and Milford just watched. Very poor effort I thought.

Nikorima was poor. Kicking game was poor. Not many highlights outside the performance of Lodge and Flegler IMO.

Gillett isn't a lock's anus. Love him. He tried hard, but can't make meters in the middle and isn't creative enough to offset it. I'd like to see him back on the right edge with TPJ/Su'a in the middle.

I said he looked under done.......don't think I was being harsh :P

Because the Storm playstyle and coaching is ingrained in their entire system, they could bring in 5 guys who haven't played a game but did the full off-season with the Storm and wouldn't miss a beat, that's why they're so dominant, losing players really doesn't affect their game at all.

The question then is why can't we.? Do we sign dumbcunts who can't learn a system?.
Bellamys' structures are simple enough. We were supposed to be training at 30% above game speed for months, we had the ball in hand at training months earlier than normal and our style didn't change from last year so we really don't have an excuse.
No doubt we had a dig and kept aiming up, let's hope the improvement comes quickly.

Take out the first 10 mins or so, I quite liked the game for a first hit out - it was heading for a 40+ for awhile. Cam Smith only threw 3 for passes this game, that's at least an improvement.

Last edited:
We need to remember the Broncs hardly touched the ball in the first 20 minutes. That’s hard at the best of times but throw in the fact that all of Milford, Bird, Su’A and Gillett have all hardly played in 6 months to a year and/or coming back from injury, that takes it toll first up.

Throw in Flegler only getting ten minutes game time in total for some reason and Roberts existing very early, the side did really well to hang in as long as they did.

At the end of the day, Melbourne won by a try off a knock on that you wouldn’t think Bird would make again and a controversially non-knock on that Melbourne always seems to get against Brisbane.

All those factors mean it isn’t all doom and gloom, there were quite a few positives from last night’s match.

I don’t think we played as bad as some people are making out, considering it’s only round 1. I would be over the moon to see Macca get replaced at some point this year, Turpin seemed to have a lot to offer in the few games he played last year

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • teampjta
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.