Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Wow some people are hard to impress. We beat Manly by 24 points, score 30 ourselves and go to the top of the ladder and yet some complain.

For mine that's neither the point nor my issue.

All I want to see is our brilliant team throw the ball around and score lots of great tries from running, passing and support play. All I want to see is a good footy match, expansive ball movement, and not some dour struggle against a 3rd rate side with most of its best players missing and a shit 5/8.

Unlike some who have misquoted me, I don't want 50 point victories against ALL sides, I just want to see a great side playing the free flowing football it's capable of playing and, against crap opposition, it doesn't mean busting a gut, peaking early, blah blah blah .... it means if we play a simple game of run, pass and support, with the side we have, we will put on 50 points against any team as bad as Manly were last night.

At least those glorious moments of Milford magic, Hunt>Milford and Boyd>Oates and, Arrow's fine if cameo debut were worth the price of admission.

What about Gavin Cooper in the utility role?

What about Gavin Cooper in the utility role?

Nah.

He either plays second row or he doesn't play at all.

Much better options than him for the utility role.

Martin Taupau facing 3-4 weeks for his spear on Gillett.

Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett has praised his inexperienced interchange bench after Saturday's 30-6 win over Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at Suncorp Stadium.

The absence of regular starters Alex Glenn, Andrew McCullough and Adam Blair meant that Bennett was forced into picking his youngest bench line-up this year.

20-year-old Jai Arrow debuted for the club, accompanying fellow 20-year-old Joe Ofahengaue, Herman Ese'ese (21) and Kodi Nikorima (22) on Brisbane's bench.

Heading into Round 10, the youthful quartet had just 55 career NRL games between them, with Nikorima's 29 the most out of the group.

Bennett couldn't contain his pride in his young forwards post-match, applauding their performance in Brisbane's comprehensive victory.

"It was a good team effort by the boys tonight. All the interchange boys did well, the oldest one was only 22," said Bennett.

"Yeah I'm happy with Joe and I'm happy with Herman. It's a process and it takes time. They're getting opportunities to play some footy and they got that opportunity tonight.

"We're not going to see the best of those boys for another 12 or 18 months. We're investing this time into them and they're doing everything right.

"They have great attitudes and bring all the things we need. They are a big part of our future."

The workload of Bennett's most inexperienced players is only going to increase heading into the State of Origin period, with the Broncos looking at losing up to seven players on State duties.

The front row reshuffle will likely see 24-year-old prop Jarrod Wallace in a starting role, something he got a taste of in Brisbane's win over the Sea Eagles.

Originally an impact forward off the bench, the Broncos recent injury and suspension woes have given the 108kg prop the chance to prove his worth as a starting front-rower.

Wallace is relishing the opportunity and captain Corey Parker says he was impressed with how Wallace handled the step up on Saturday night.

"Jarrod was good and he needed to be good," said Parker.

"We spoke before the game about starting the game really well and I think we did that.

"He had an opportunity to start for us tonight and I thought he did a good job.

"He's shown at times that he's a really good player. The challenge for him and all of us is to consistently do that week in and week out.

"He's only young but he's certainly got some good footy ahead of him."

Baby Broncos stand up - NRL.com

I'm glad the Broncos website uploaded the team victory song as well. The night felt naked without it, and hopefully it's something fans can embrace over the years. The sad thing is, most fans don't seem to know the words.

Thoughts on the game
- Wallace was impressive during his opening stint. Despite the knock on when the game was over, it was one of his better games in first grade.

- Outside of his early fumble, Waddell seemed on his game. Good defence, ran well - you can tell he doesn't quite have the combinations McCullough does but then Macca has had 183 games and 9 preseasons to get himself right.

- I hate block plays, but since when are you allowed to just smash into a player and push them in the back like Myles did? I wonder what Gordie's thoughts are on big head pushing a much smaller man in the back like that?

- The last tackle plays were very ordinary. Milf found the feet of the opposition far too much for my liking. I know that every team doesn't do this, but if chances are you're not going to score that play, I'd much rather a player put forward a weak grubber and earn a tackle one inside the opposition ten then just die with the footy. That way you've at least taken a play off the opposition's next set.

- Speaking of that play, McGuire's grubber may have been the Broncos best last tackle play of the first half.

- Didn't the commentators go off about the forward pass? Yes, Manly were unlucky but it's like they've never watched footy before. What happened was that the touchy saw DCE get driven a few metres backwards by Thaiday, creating the optical illusion. You see these calls every other round, but because Manly were desperate it's the worst call of the season. Please...

- The rookie bench impressed me. If Manly were any chance, it was going to be that period with Lawrence, Fonua-Blake and Symonds coming on but the young blokes all came up with good plays.

- I don't understand Mexican Wave's at Rugby League. Sure, at the cricket where you're there for hours upon hours and there's breaks in play I get it. But Rugby League? Sadly it seemed like the only thing anyone wanted to talk about after the game. In fairness, it probably was one of the better ones I've seen...it just didn't belong in Rugby League.

- If you're going to concede a try, best case scenario it's like the Marty Taupau example. Deflection followed by a game effort from JK to hold him up as long as he did.

- I liked how swiftly the Broncos hit back. Just a good set-play and Sammy turned back the clock - it felt like I was watching 2008 all over again.

- The last ten minutes didn't leave a good lasting impression. Had Brisbane stacked on a try or two, I don't think you would have seen the complaints we saw. Apart of it was because we had players like Arrow and Ese'ese over-running the play, forcing Milf and Boyd to run around like headless chooks. It sucked but it's apart of the learning process.

For mine that's neither the point nor my issue.

All I want to see is our brilliant team throw the ball around and score lots of great tries from running, passing and support play. All I want to see is a good footy match, expansive ball movement, and not some dour struggle against a 3rd rate side with most of its best players missing and a shit 5/8.

Unlike some who have misquoted me, I don't want 50 point victories against ALL sides, I just want to see a great side playing the free flowing football it's capable of playing and, against crap opposition, it doesn't mean busting a gut, peaking early, blah blah blah .... it means if we play a simple game of run, pass and support, with the side we have, we will put on 50 points against any team as bad as Manly were last night.

At least those glorious moments of Milford magic, Hunt>Milford and Boyd>Oates and, Arrow's fine if cameo debut were worth the price of admission.

Like the Cowboys are playing maybe? Who were full strength and won 32-16 last week?

It might be nice to watch a team throw the ball around , but I'd much rather a team with defence that makes opposition look piss weak like we did last night, and plenty of others this season. That's what wins premierships. Anyway, I thought we threw the ball around a bit more once we had it in the bag - we're taking every opponent seriously, and playing like we would against a team like the Cows, until the game is won. I

I'll take that over winning by an extra three tries any day of the week....

Speaking of team songs [MENTION=1899]Big Pete[/MENTION], have you heard the Storm team song? Basically a one chord pub quality effort.

Like the Cowboys are playing maybe? Who were full strength and won 32-16 last week?

It might be nice to watch a team throw the ball around , but I'd much rather a team with defence that makes opposition look **** weak like we did last night, and plenty of others this season. That's what wins premierships. Anyway, I thought we threw the ball around a bit more once we had it in the bag - we're taking every opponent seriously, and playing like we would against a team like the Cows, until the game is won. I

I'll take that over winning by an extra three tries any day of the week....

I never questioned our defence which remains the benchmark and yes, it is nice to watch a team throw the ball around, just like we did against the Bunnies and the Knights, and the Sharks in the 2nd half after we woke up and played like we are capable of playing.

(It was also nice to watch the Sharks throw the ball around today when they flogged the Knights 62 blot).

However I still can't wait for us to use our lethal right side weapons, especially Roberts. Of course we will, when the master coach tell us to.

Can't wait for next week.

The mexican wave has made a comeback this season. I'm sure it happened a couple of times last year but it seems more regular this year at Suncorp. It's been originating in the Fortress.

The mexican wave has made a comeback this season. I'm sure it happened a couple of times last year but it seems more regular this year at Suncorp. It's been originating in the Fortress.
It pisses me off to be honest. I can see why when the game is boring and nothing's happening. But when the game is good quality and worth watching, why start that crap?

I can think of a few positives to take out of this game.

1. We got the 2 points.
2. We got the 2 points.
3. Oh yeah, we got the 2 points.

There is also Milford continuing his great form. Hunt starting to get his mojo back. The younger boys like Wallace stepping up. Beating Manly convincingly without even getting into top gear, no injuries, no suspensions, we're back on top of the ladder with a superior for & against etc..

Still early in the season. The boys don't want to peak too early and burn out.

They will step it up against the Cowboys. Just like they did in Round 4. Just like they did against the Rabbitohs. Just like they did against the Titans when they started making a comeback.

Last edited:

1. We got the 2 points.
2. We got the 2 points.

There is also Milford continuing his great form. Hunt starting to get his mojo back. The younger boys like Wallace stepping up. Beating Manly convincingly without even getting into top gear, no injuries, no suspensions, we're back on top of the ladder with a superior for & against etc..

They will step it up against the Cowboys. Just like they did in Round 4. Just like they did against the Rabbitohs. Just like they did against the Titans when they started making a comeback.

Yep, pretty much agree with everything above.... that and Blaire didn't get suspended.

1. We got the 2 points.
2. We got the 2 points.

Hey how long is Milford's highlights reel now?

1. We got the 2 points.
2. We got the 2 points.

I'm sorry, but this always mystifies me. What does it mean exactly, to peak too early?

I'm a simple, old school soul. For mine, you just go out there week in and week out as professionals and do your job the best you can and have fun doing it.

Of course it takes time to get combinations working, especially if there are new players, but I still remain at a loss to understand this "peaking too early"?

What's this peaking too early all about?

I mean, sure, every quality team will get better with each game: practise makes perfect. But burning out?

Is Milford peaking out too early? Should we rest him lest he burns out?

Last edited:
It's simply impossible to perform at your peak in literally every single game. This is true for any line of work, you can't be at your peak constantly or you'll burn out.

This is why there is such a thing as "form" and why not everyone can be a superstar their entire career.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  • FACTHUNT
  • ettybay
  • Shane Tronc
  • kiwibronco
  • sooticus
  • HarryAllan7
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.