Round 11 - Tigers v Broncos - Post Match Discussion

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
a shit win is a sensational win for hook. prick is safe for another week. all the best players from tonight will get dropped for next game. Copley and Hodges for centers and maranta vidot on wings. ffs will never happen though.
should Ben hunt be permanent goal kicker?

Tera

Tera

NRL Player
Mar 5, 2014
So much negativity, and from the Live Thread so much whining about the refs and commentators being "bias" against the Broncos.

Come the **** on guys.

It's football, sometimes the calls go with you, sometimes they go against you, lets not forget the penalty count for the first half of this match. Nobody was complaining when it was on our side.

We have a solid team, a team that while I may not be happy with all the time, will always be proud of.

We won the game. It might not have been pretty, but we did and the complaining about the boys celebrating the win is a complete load of bullshit.

You know as a player, and a team when you're not "on". The boys were not "on" tonight but they gritted it out, defended like madmen - especially in the last 10 -15 minutes and won the game. Shame on them for showing some fucking pride in themselves and in the jersey and celebrating the win.

We're not a perfect team, we obviously have some glaring issues in the squad but we're the Mother fucking Brisbane Broncos and by God I love this club and I always will.

... and to the guy criticising Glenn, did you even watch the game mate? He was huge - especially when he has the make the holes himself.

Last edited:
Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
So much negativity, and from the Live Thread so much whining about the refs and commentators being "bias" against the Broncos.

Come the **** on guys.

It's football, sometimes the calls go with you, sometimes they go against you, lets not forget the penalty count for the first half of this match. Nobody was complaining when it was on our side.

We have a solid team, a team that while I may not be happy with all the time, will always be proud of.

We won the game. It might not have been pretty, but we did and the complaining about the boys celebrating the win is a complete load of bullshit.

You know as a player, and a team when you're not "on". The boys were not "on" tonight but they gritted it out, defended like madmen - especially in the last 10 -15 minutes and won the game. Shame on them for showing some fucking pride in themselves and in the jersey and celebrating the win.

We're not a perfect team, we obviously have some glaring issues in the squad but we're the Mother fucking Brisbane Broncos and by God I love this club and I always will.

... and to the guy criticising Glenn, did you even watch the game mate? He was huge - especially when he has the make the holes himself.

One like of this post is just not enough...

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Seriously, reading BHQ on game day is more depressing than putting up with Griffinball...

We won FFS, we defended pretty well, we were missing more players to SOO than the team we played, who were ahead of us on the table and playing at home too.

I am as disappointed as anyone in the footy we're playing, seeing a class player like Barba engulfed in the Griffinball wave of mediocrity and the amount of errors we made (which btw, we normally don't).

But as I said in the barba/hoffman thread, I can't blame any player anymore, as I am thoroughly convinced they are suffering from the coaching the most. It's not Hoffman's fault he is derping it up at 5/8, or Barba's for being bulked up, and having absolutely no game plan to take advantage of his ability and speed.

I am actually amazed how the players still show so much grit and resilience. They thoroughly deserve to celebrate the win, because while it wasn't pretty, they certainly fought for it, while being held back by the idiots with the coaching hats on.

Regardless of form, panache or highlight reels party tricks, my first and foremost demand from any Broncos player, is that when they leave the field, they leave nothing behind, and I don't have a complaint to make about that today, or for that matter, any other game this season.
This only tells me that with someone who had a clue, we probably would be top 4 material, and that's really the most painful thing of all...

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
This might sound super ignorant, I only caught small segments of the game and just watched the full highlights, did Barba play? Or did he get injured or something, didn't see him once.

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
I know this game was not pretty to watch but I thought there were definitely some positives to take out of it:

1 Hunt's kicking game was much better and our kick chase on the long kicks was excellent

2 Our defence was great and the boys were putting some venom into it when they could. I reckon those Tiger forwards will be sore tomorrow. Our goal line defence continues to save us.

3 Hoffman was actually passing the ball last night . Sure his timing was off , but at least he was passing the thing .( But Still should be on the wing IMO but looks like he's there to stay)

4 Hunt's goal kicking was good and in the end was the difference. Maybe he should be the number one goal kicker?

5 The baby broncos were great especially Oates and Hala

6 My top three were Hunt Glenn and Vidot.

On the negative side I would mention :

1 Barba had his worst game of the year. He was a liability out there last night. No confidence in attack or defence. He may have to go to Q cup for a stint.

2 Reed is giving us next to nothing in attack and really does not look capable of changing that ( He was very good in defence though)

3 Hunt was tending to push a few too many passes at the line , several of which amounted to "hospital " passes.

In the end very grateful to the boys for the win and proud of the grit they showed.

Last edited:
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Seriously, reading BHQ on game day is more depressing than putting up with Griffinball...

We won FFS, we defended pretty well, we were missing more players to SOO than the team we played, who were ahead of us on the table and playing at home too.

I am as disappointed as anyone in the footy we're playing, seeing a class player like Barba engulfed in the Griffinball wave of mediocrity and the amount of errors we made (which btw, we normally don't).

But as I said in the barba/hoffman thread, I can't blame any player anymore, as I am thoroughly convinced they are suffering from the coaching the most. It's not Hoffman's fault he is derping it up at 5/8, or Barba's for being bulked up, and having absolutely no game plan to take advantage of his ability and speed.

I am actually amazed how the players still show so much grit and resilience. They thoroughly deserve to celebrate the win, because while it wasn't pretty, they certainly fought for it, while being held back by the idiots with the coaching hats on.

Regardless of form, panache or highlight reels party tricks, my first and foremost demand from any Broncos player, is that when they leave the field, they leave nothing behind, and I don't have a complaint to make about that today, or for that matter, any other game this season.
This only tells me that with someone who had a clue, we probably would be top 4 material, and that's really the most painful thing of all...

Cannot agree more. Well said

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
We won... So i'm happy, but as others have said, our lack of creative options and set plays is disturbing.

The coach really needs to wake up try something different.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
Upside is we got the two points. Hunt and Oates and particular had some good moments.

MAJOR downside is our fullback. Wow as useless as his was in attack, he is even more scary in defense. Pretty much every time they scored or just about scored it came down to Barba not putting in the effort in defense. Instead of taking balls he would try to bat them away. Hell it gave them yet another chance on the last play. Time to give him a break now as that isn't even close to a first grade performance. If you disagree with me... it's OK but you are still wrong. Other downside is Sloth still has a coaching spot.

Still.... I didn't go to bed gloomy because 2 points is 2 points.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

This more than anything.

No one begrudges the win, or the grit, the determination, celebrating an important win, or the good individual performances under duress, and there were many, although the Vidot love is IMO misplaced. He needs some serious coaching (lol) about how to play a winger's game.

The fact is our spine was our regular spine, and the structures are still NOT THERE.

One of the most potent attacking players in the game is hobbled as a result. The attack is disjointed, too ad hoc and there is no excuse for that.

That for me is why I feel negative when I watch the team I love so much perform so much below what they are capable of achieving as a team.

As a team ... that is the real issue.

Last edited:
gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
It really looks like they don't practice running any lines at training.

Every time we put a move on close to the line, it seems that Hunt is just ad-libbing. It often turns out pretty well, but can anyone who attends their sessions regularly (@1910?) confirm if they spend much time on structures?

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
It really looks like they don't practice running any lines at training.

Every time we put a move on close to the line, it seems that Hunt is just ad-libbing. It often turns out pretty well, but can anyone who attends their sessions regularly (@1910?) confirm if they spend much time on structures?

we practice hit ups at training.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
I've never been so disappointed as a Broncos fan reading this thread. So depressing reading the comments. You guys obviously weren't drunk enough, because if you were you would have enjoyed the win as much as me.

gordjw

gordjw

NRL Player
Jun 29, 2013
I've never been so disappointed as a Broncos fan reading this thread. So depressing reading the comments. You guys obviously weren't drunk enough, because if you were you would have enjoyed the win as much as me.

Haha! I wasn't drinking, but was still happy we got the 2 points.

I wonder if people's reactions are because we "only" beat the tigers. If we beat the storm by 2 points, in that kind of finish, with the mistake rate we had, I think it would be a little different around here.

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
I can understand peoples anger and negativity. It's even gotten to me lately. The thing is, it's just so frustrating watching us run the same plays and do the same things that don't work, over and over.

But, you know what? I'm going to grant myself the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change.

Apart from the "Griffinball", I thought we showed real ticker towards the end.

Hunt was excellent. This kid will represent QLD in the future.
Vidot made big meters again.
Oates is a revelation. He should be starting Second Row, or AT LEAST get big minutes off the bench running those flat lines out wide. Kid can find a hole.

There are some real deficiencies in our team which I mentioned in another thread and I'll leave them there for now.

Happy with the win for now.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I am honestly getting a bit tired of hearing about the meters Vidot makes. Most of his game as true winger sucks. That is the point. Wait till we play Manly or the Roosters or Dogs again and see what they do to expose Vidot's poor positional play out wide, and what I reckon, is his less than satisfactory ability under the high ball.

As for the win, yes, it's 2 points which we need desperately, and Origin period games are a time for the Broncos, with our spine intact, to get the plays right, which we haven't and which will become painfully obvious when it comes time to play the big boys with full strength sides at the business end of the season.

Last nights flat line (literally and metaphorically) attack sucked. NOW is the time to get it right when key opponents are weakened. It's a golden opportunity. We need to take it with open arms.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
That was the worst game of football I've seen in years.

Glad we got the 2 points and not another heartbreaker. Barba.. it's time to reassess. He just isn't interested? And the third last play of the game... How hard is it to kill the ball? Even if Hoffman is 50% of the problem there,

Vidot
was enourmous again. He's our best forward and he's playing on the wing. I'd go as far as to say he's the main reason we have been able to hide behind a shit kicking game as he gets us on the front foot and more every set. Maranta played really confidently under the highball, save for that dropout mistake.

Our forwards should be ashamed.

Hala is a fucking joke. His tackling style is like he is Scott Prince. And his hit-ups are shit.

Hunt is the shining light in this enitre squad. Consistently pulling out the clutch plays, in both attack and defence. Most of the time he's the only one having a dig.

Hoffman is beyond laughable now at 6. Hook has to reassess. If it was my squad, Barba to QCup/counselling/break from footy, Hoffman to 1, best young 6 we've got in QCup into the squad. I just don't get sticking with him at the moment, he's woeful. And Hoffman simply does not know how to even run the ball from that position on the field.

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • Dash
  • Santa
  • Sanjit Joseph
  • Bish
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • the_next
  • Financeguy
  • broncsgoat
  • Mr Fourex
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • Organix
  • TommieToona
  • BruiserMk1
  • Fozz
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.