Round 11 - West Tigers vs Broncos - Pre-Match Discussion

He certainly has the right attitude. I wish him luck.

My team:

1. Barba
2. Viidot
3. Reed (Blerg)
4. Copley
5. Maranta
6. Hoffman (Blerg)
7. Hunt

8. McGuire
9. Macca
10. Hannnant
11. Glenn
12. Oates
13. Lowrie

14. Granville
15. Kennedy
16. Hala
17. Ofahengaue

I read that Ash Taylor played well in his 1st game back from injury. Anyone see him play?

I wasn't paying a lot of attention. He did have a great kick for the corner that would've been a try if the winger held on to it though.

In an imaginary world, I think the broncos should put young kid at 6 in origin period we are most likely going to loose majority if origin games so why not blood a young kid and Hoffman to hodges position.

So nobody has responded. Did anyone see Ash Taylor play? How did he go?

Fozz did.

From reports he played well. Laid on a nice short pass for Adams, made a nice break and was unlucky not to have one of his cross-field kicks converted into points.

It's just his first game back, he'll need some time before he's ready.

1. Barba
2. Maranta
3. Copley
4. Hoffman
5. Vidot
6. Taylor/Strasser/Paia'aua/An Inanimate Carbon Rod/Not Josh fucking Hoffman
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Oates
13. Lowrie/Stagg

14. Granville
15. Kennedy
16. Wallace
17. Hala

1. Barba
2. Maranta
3. Copley
4. Hoffman
5. Vidot
6. Taylor/Strasser/Paia'aua/An Inanimate Carbon Rod/Not Josh fucking Hoffman
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Oates
13. Lowrie/Stagg

14. Granville
15. Kennedy
16. Wallace
17. Hala

i like this team, in fact i really think the inanimate carbon rod could give us something at the 6.

If any of our young halves are half ready then now is the time to play them. With the senior guys mostly out they'll be able to come in and more easily dictate around them the way halves need to. Prior to this year, Ben Hunt's best games in a Broncos 6 or 7 jersey were in these Origin affected rounds -- they were also among Corey Norman's best games in the Broncos 6. The game against the Raiders stands out in particular and given the Tigers will be without Farah it really is the absolute perfect time for a young player to debut.

Hoffman isn't being moved.

I can already see the rationale behind it. "Too many changes to the side to change the make-up of the spine." It isn't exactly the worst logic but when you're clearly playing with a stop gap of a stop gap than it doesn't quite hold up as a valid excuse.

In saying that, I'd be interested to hear which games Ari is referring to because from my recollection, Hunt always gave a poor account of himself in these Origin affected games. He was arguably our worst last year against the Warriors and his debut was a cautionary tale against throwing a young half into the deep end in a game like this.

Fozz did.

From reports he played well. Laid on a nice short pass for Adams, made a nice break and was unlucky not to have one of his cross-field kicks converted into points.

It's just his first game back, he'll need some time before he's ready.

Thanks BP.

I read somewhere that Tallis I think, said Taylor was good at directing the team around the park. Just what we need.

Hoffman isn't being moved.

I can already see the rationale behind it. "Too many changes to the side to change the make-up of the spine." It isn't exactly the worst logic but when you're clearly playing with a stop gap of a stop gap than it doesn't quite hold up as a valid excuse.

In saying that, I'd be interested to hear which games Ari is referring to because from my recollection, Hunt always gave a poor account of himself in these Origin affected games. He was arguably our worst last year against the Warriors and his debut was a cautionary tale against throwing a young half into the deep end in a game like this.

Like I said in my post, there was a game against Canberra which I think showed how much promise both Hunt and Norman had, both as individuals and as a pairing. It was a home game in 2012. Might not actually have been Origin affected now that I think of it but I do recall a few fair names being absent (hence Hunt starting).

Like I said in my post, there was a game against Canberra which I think showed how much promise both Hunt and Norman had, both as individuals and as a pairing. It was a home game in 2012. Might not actually have been Origin affected now that I think of it but I do recall a few fair names being absent (hence Hunt starting).

I remember that game very well. It ended up 30-6 and it gave both players the confidence to have a go instead of deferring to someone like Wallace. Granted the Raiders lost Campo, but still he hasn't been relevant in the past few years due to injury. I still believe a Norman+Hunt halves pairing would do us wonders this year at least. Having an actual 5/8th would let Macca, Barba and Hodgo do what they can and Glenn would be much more effective as his 2012 with Norman in 6 giving him the ball was his best

Last edited by a moderator:
It's so good that we will have a longer turnaround for this game as it is on a Saturday. With Origin approaching our top players will be out and the 2nd choice players will have more time to work together and hopefully combine well over the week.

Round 7 2012

We were without Wallace (groin), Te'o (shoulder charge on Groat) and Yow Yeh (*sigh*)

That was also the game where Joel Thompson belted his own bloke. Wonder if punching your own team mate gets you in the bin these days?

Never the less, I think that's more of an argument for blooding players OUTSIDE of the Origin period if anything since the structures are already there and there isn't that cluster.

I completely expect that Hoffman will be named. I agree that he shouldn't be because he is a stop-gap and that we should consider blooding a half but it just doesn't appear likely.

Oh and rna, I'm unsure if you've read the NYC report just yet but just to give you an idea of where Ash is at. He wasn't expected back until Round 18, so he's well ahead of schedule in terms of his recovery but that maybe some cause for precaution than excitement.

I believe other fans like Splinter, 1910 or talanoa may have a better idea but I believe Taylor shares a lot of similarities with Ben Hunt. He's not really an organiser, but a player with good timing, instincts and a strong running game. He was basically signed after a stunning performance against the Tigers in 2013. I should be going to the next home game against Manly so hopefully I'll be able to keep you posted on his progress but if he's playing the fullback role, I suspect he'll be playing the quasi-Hunt role where he's constantly playing second man and only coming in for the odd play when the other options have been exhausted.

Norman is almost the exact same player as Hoffman, only Hoffman is very slowly learning how to pass the ball.

Norman is light years ahead of Hoffman. He is selfish still but he does have a far better kicking game than anything Hoffman has to offer and can still pass the ball.

Frankly I'm perplexed as to how Hoffman graduated high school given he seems incapable of passing anything.

Active Now

• Scorchie
  • Skyblues87
  • Gaz
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • Cavalo
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • heartly87
  • marw
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.