Round 11 - West Tigers vs Broncos - Pre-Match Discussion

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Well, we are going to be without an organiser next year anyway, so might as well get used to it now. Maybe this pressure on Hunt will cause him to develop as one.

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
Round 7 2012

We were without Wallace (groin), Te'o (shoulder charge on Groat) and Yow Yeh (*sigh*)

That was also the game where Joel Thompson belted his own bloke. Wonder if punching your own team mate gets you in the bin these days?

Never the less, I think that's more of an argument for blooding players OUTSIDE of the Origin period if anything since the structures are already there and there isn't that cluster.

I completely expect that Hoffman will be named. I agree that he shouldn't be because he is a stop-gap and that we should consider blooding a half but it just doesn't appear likely.

Oh and rna, I'm unsure if you've read the NYC report just yet but just to give you an idea of where Ash is at. He wasn't expected back until Round 18, so he's well ahead of schedule in terms of his recovery but that maybe some cause for precaution than excitement.

I believe other fans like Splinter, 1910 or talanoa may have a better idea but I believe Taylor shares a lot of similarities with Ben Hunt. He's not really an organiser, but a player with good timing, instincts and a strong running game. He was basically signed after a stunning performance against the Tigers in 2013. I should be going to the next home game against Manly so hopefully I'll be able to keep you posted on his progress but if he's playing the fullback role, I suspect he'll be playing the quasi-Hunt role where he's constantly playing second man and only coming in for the odd play when the other options have been exhausted.

Ash played a solid game Friday night and will only get better with another month of footy under his belt. I have always had a big wrap on him, but he is no where near ready for FG yet. Ash is not a structured/organizing type player, he plays off the cuff and a lot of that stems from his touch footy background. The tricky thing will be how they play both jayden and ashley in the same team, both are extremely good players but IMO the mix wouldn't be right from a long term point of view in FG. It would be great to watch from a fans point of view though cause both boys wont die wondering.... ( cut out passes, chip n chases and whatever else they could come up with)

In regards to mcguire, he is 50/50 to fill the last bench spot.... His limited ball play/passing ability is the major factor against him, the selectors love his aggression and ability to play long minutes however you need that bit extra for origin which is what may kill his chances. I hope he does get a game as he will run all night and tackle anything.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Norman is almost the exact same player as Hoffman, only Hoffman is very slowly learning how to pass the ball.
Spot on!
He showed that again against the dragqueens, where he ruined several try chances by hogging the ball, not to mention 2 or 3 of them were actually the last tackle and he just died with the ball.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Round 7 2012

We were without Wallace (groin), Te'o (shoulder charge on Groat) and Yow Yeh (*sigh*)

That was also the game where Joel Thompson belted his own bloke. Wonder if punching your own team mate gets you in the bin these days?

Never the less, I think that's more of an argument for blooding players OUTSIDE of the Origin period if anything since the structures are already there and there isn't that cluster.

I completely expect that Hoffman will be named. I agree that he shouldn't be because he is a stop-gap and that we should consider blooding a half but it just doesn't appear likely.

Oh and rna, I'm unsure if you've read the NYC report just yet but just to give you an idea of where Ash is at. He wasn't expected back until Round 18, so he's well ahead of schedule in terms of his recovery but that maybe some cause for precaution than excitement.

I believe other fans like Splinter, 1910 or talanoa may have a better idea but I believe Taylor shares a lot of similarities with Ben Hunt. He's not really an organiser, but a player with good timing, instincts and a strong running game. He was basically signed after a stunning performance against the Tigers in 2013. I should be going to the next home game against Manly so hopefully I'll be able to keep you posted on his progress but if he's playing the fullback role, I suspect he'll be playing the quasi-Hunt role where he's constantly playing second man and only coming in for the odd play when the other options have been exhausted.

Thanks for that BP and talanoa. Much appreciate the info.

One problem of course is where, if at all, do you play Taylor when Milford arrives. Anyway, this is probably best left now for the NYC thread.

On the point of an organizer, is it just instinct, or coaching?

Did Lockyer learn how to organize or was he doing it from the word go?

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
our team doesn't look that badly affected from origin like it used to
only problem is, we are playing a team with 1 maybe 2 origin players out
why cant we ever draw the storm, cowboys, or roosters at this time of year
instead we always get the warriors, tigers and raiders who have one or two at best out for origin

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
tigers without farah are pretty bad though. sure they got up against the eels a couple of weeks ago but they got VERY lucky. i think two intercept tries and the eels bombed about 4.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
On the point of an organizer, is it just instinct, or coaching?

Did Lockyer learn how to organize or was he doing it from the word go?

Well, Shane Perry was doing that role in 2006-7...and only that role really. Wallace in 08 and 09 and then finally Lockyer became a true halfback in 10 and 11. I think Lockyer always had it in him, but concentrated on more of a creative running role.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Well, Shane Perry was doing that role in 2006-7...and only that role really. Wallace in 08 and 09 and then finally Lockyer became a true halfback in 10 and 11. I think Lockyer always had it in him, but concentrated on more of a creative running role.

IMO Wallace still did the organising in 2010 & 2011. It allowed Lockyer to play what he saw. Arguably, the only time he played the organiser was when he partnered JT at rep level, and even then it was a shared role.

FaceOfMutiny

FaceOfMutiny

QCup Player
Nov 7, 2013
I actually think they should have put Hunt in the 7 and kept Wallace or Prince for at least another year at 6. Prince started playing really well at the end of last year after he announced his retirement and he could put a conversion over from anywhere. And Wallace well... he could pass AND kick the ball.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Hodges and Hoffman continue to switch in attack near our line.

It's the only winning solution you can hope for out of Hook at the moment.

Meanwhile Hoffman just jumbles together what he can for a winger moonlighting as a 5/8.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Thanks BP.

I read somewhere that Tallis I think, said Taylor was good at directing the team around the park. Just what we need.

He did pretty well. I believe he also nearly scored a try but it was called back for an obstruction.

His defense is a little average, though. Although, you would get that considering his injury..

Last edited:
Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2013
our team doesn't look that badly affected from origin like it used to
only problem is, we are playing a team with 1 maybe 2 origin players out
why cant we ever draw the storm, cowboys, or roosters at this time of year
instead we always get the warriors, tigers and raiders who have one or two at best out for origin
I like playing the Tigers at Origin time. They always seem to play down to us.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Tigers are without Farah, who is frankly 50% of their team by himself.
Faders are a joke right now.

Warriors always seem to trouble us though.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
After watching the Tigers against the Sharks, we should target them a fair bit up the middle.

They can be weak defensively in the middle. Short balls and inside passes should do some good.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
McGuire confirmed and Hannant should be right to play.

No word on Lowrie yet.

1. Ben Barba
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Josh Hoffman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Jarrod Wallace
11. Alex Glenn (c)
12. Corey Oates
13. Josh McGuire

14. David Hala
15. Martin Kennedy
16. Jake Granville
17. David Stagg

18. Francis Molo

Side I expect to see.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
McGuire confirmed and Hannant should be right to play.

No word on Lowrie yet.

1. Ben Barba
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Josh Hoffman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Jarrod Wallace
11. Alex Glenn (c)
12. Corey Oates
13. Josh McGuire

14. David Hala
15. Martin Kennedy
16. Jake Granville
17. David Stagg

18. Francis Molo

Side I expect to see.

I think that's actually one of the best sides we have been able to field in an Origin affected game for a while now..

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I think that's actually one of the best sides we have been able to field in an Origin affected game for a while now..

pretty much the side we did well with in the first few rounds

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
im actually excited about this game. good to see copley back at centre and i think macca controlled hte game alot more before hodges came back. if only we went with 6 with some experience playing ther.

maybe kahu is a chance at coming into the side?

not that fussed either way, but is thaiday a chance to play for us? maybe off the bench for 25 mins? i didnt hear whether he's out of origin because he actually cant play or just because he's underdone/not up to origin intensity.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • winslow_wong
  • Smokin' Joe
  • LittleDavey
  • Swordfish
  • broncos4life
  • Allo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Broncorob
  • Lurker
  • Lostboy
  • Fatboy
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.