Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

I have a feeling our lack of attack was actually what Bennett told the players.

There was only one offload from the forwards last night and that was Lodge. TPJ didn't even look at throwing offloads. It seems as though this performance was about defence.

He had finger tip tackles again this week. My point is he isn't putting in anywhere near enough effort for a first grade fullback, let alone the captain. Honestly it should be stripped from him. He doesn't even talk to the boys when a try is conceded. Legitimately the worst captain I have ever seen. Doesn't lead by example, and doesn't talk...

Yes he does. Go to a game sometime and actually watch him because you don't know what you're talking about here.

He is always out there talking, but the cameras don't catch it because the cameras aren't focused on him. Boyd does more talking out there than anyone else.

Boyd was never catching him even if he didn't have hammy problems.

George is much faster than Boyd.

Yeah, that's what I said, even if he went at 100% he probably wasn't going to catch him anyway, so it wasn't worth the risk. We actually do have a bit of an acceleration / speed issue on that left hand side now with Oates, Kahu, Boyd & Milford, if there's ever any intercept or fumbles you can basically shut the gate, they probably aren't catching any opposition outside backs from a standing start.

For someone not 100% fit, I thought Boyd did really well last night. Thing is, will that be enough against the very best sides who will no doubt target his defence with their fastest backs. That's what worries me about Boyd playing less than 100%. It's a trade off, and one that I hope won't bite us during the business end of the season.

As far as I am concerned, it is neither rocket science nor legal theory: for mine, the issue is not whether the ball goes forward, but whether or not it leaves the passers hands in a forward direction, or passed in front of him. In the video above, the first example is to me clearly a forward pass because from where I sit, the ball leaves the guy's hands in a forward direction.

Time to clean my glasses I think ...

To some up last nights game I give it a big mehhh. It was a letdown from last weeks game. Happy to have the two points but let's be realistic and admit the same problems rear their ugly head. First and foremost not having a legitimate halfback and a less than stellar fullback. While neither played poorly neither are up to scratch. I can hear some folks saying but Darius is Ok and Kodi was a bit better but those are still the main issues with the current club. I can also hear folks saying so what is the solution animal eater? Move Kahu to wing, Issako to fullback and whoever the hell is doing the best in the lower level at 7, give them a bloody run.

In regards to Boyd, he isn't 100% and shouldn't play till he is. As far as Kodi, we all know that at best he is a bench replacement to run at tired forwards. No more and no less. Because he doesn't organise the team, kick well or defend well, the end result is Milford is essentially playing both 6 and 7 which leads to errors. As good as Anthony is, he would be a world better with a solid 7 next to him.

He had finger tip tackles again this week. My point is he isn't putting in anywhere near enough effort for a first grade fullback, let alone the captain. Honestly it should be stripped from him. He doesn't even talk to the boys when a try is conceded. Legitimately the worst captain I have ever seen. Doesn't lead by example, and doesn't talk...

Mate, you are lying.

Either you weren’t at Suncorp last night or you were and you are just lying about what you saw.

I was there and I saw the non-stop talk to the guys from Boyd, the barking orders and organising the defence line. I saw the movement and the running with intent.

You need to realise when there are other 20,000 people at the ground odds are that someone from on here will be there also and can pickup on your bullshit.

I want to preface this by saying that I have been bashing Boyd all year and that’s simply because I believe he deserves it.

That said, I also understand the way some people like to defend his performances and that is fine too, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But IMO at least, he was better last night but it was still just an ‘OK’ performance, nothing more. For the most part, he simply did what a fullback is supposed to do. If people are happy with ‘OK’ from our captain than so be it, I’m certainly not.

He needs to deliver more. He is the captain of the best RL club in the world and with that comes the expectation that he is close to our best player more often than not. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

I also don’t think he is, or nor has he been, close to our best for far too long.

Last edited:
Also, they did a couple grubbers that Milford had to clean up because boyd was again no where to be seen at the back. He just doesn't run around enough like the other fullbacks do, and doesn't loom up in support EVER.

Did you watch the lead up to the grubber that Milford cleaned up?

Roberts was at marker and there was a hole on our right side because of Roberts not being in position and no one else plugging that hole. So Boyd had to do it.

His positioning last night was fine. That's not one area he can be criticized for in this game.

Boyd’s form is pure and simple, a consequence of his injured hamstrings which clearly haven’t healed. You can see that plain as anything when he tried to chase down Jennings last night. His stride shortened rapidly and he was pretty much limping.

As such, he is inevitably mentally compromised as well as physically when he tries to play the best he can as our FB, captain and defensive organiser.

I applaud his courage however I question the wisdom of having him as our FB. His injury will sooner or later cost us a game which is unfair to the team and more so unfair on Boyd. For mine, he should be rested until he is 100%.

Completely agree. I’ve been down on him this year, commensurate with his performance, but he did look measurably better last night in many facets of his game. It doesn’t pain me to say that as I have no ‘Boyd-bashing’ agenda as is constantly used as a way of ignoring his shortcomings lately. In fact, I’m overjoyed that his form may be lifting and in turn strengthening our club’s chances of success.

As you say though, there were still some worrying signs, so he needs to continue that trajectory of effort level whilst working on shortcomings. I couldn’t be happier if he got back to his top form, but I’ll always question why (as Captain) that he allowed his effort levels to drop for so long while he was out of form. Form shifts are understandable, bipolar effort levels are not.
No arguments here.

Some people tend to think others must have an agenda because they criticise a player (or the coach for that matter), but not only is it OK to do so, it’s absolutely possible to do so without an agenda.

I think you’ve summed that up well.

Just because we criticise a player, doesn’t mean we don’t want them to get out of the funk we believe they’re in. I would be over the moon if he kept getting better and made me eat my words.

Time will tell I guess.

Roberts has had scans on his left ankle, no serious significant damage found.

https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2018/05/25/injury-update---james-roberts/

JAMES Roberts has had scans on his left ankle this morning after leaving the field early last night in the win over the Eels.
Broncos' medical staff said today Roberts had only left the field as a precaution and there was not much to worry about.
"James has had a precautionary scan today and there was no significant damage found," said Broncos' High Performance Manager Jeremy Hickmans.
"He does have some soreness in the Achilles' area, but that is something we have been monitoring for a period of time now."
Roberts was again strong in the Broncos' 18-10 win over the Eels, before leaving the field in the 60th minute.

Did you watch the lead up to the grubber that Milford cleaned up?

Roberts was at marker and there was a hole on our right side because of Roberts not being in position and no one else plugging that hole. So Boyd had to do it.

His positioning last night was fine. That's not one area he can be criticized for in this game.

Correct. Boyd isn't "out of position" because he's off daydreaming about retiring in the Bahamas with Wayne. He's in the line plugging holes. With Hunt gone and Nikorima in his place, that leaves us with two defensively-vulnerable halves, meaning Boyd is required more than ever to get in the line.

not according to a scientist i know ...

what there should be no doubt about is the NRL have fucked the forward pass rule ... with all this direction it leaves the hands bullshit... I don't defend refs often, but in these cases they are on a hiding to nothing given they have to make a split second decision on which way the hands are facing ...

what they need to do is go back to basics with the rule ... if the pass goes forward, then it is a forward pass (regardless of the direction of the hands) ... then forward pass calls won't be so random and unpredicible

I like it. Simple rule. And video ref can rule with a straight line on the field like they use for swimming. Only on captains challenge though where they bring up a specific pass.

Would change the game with all the flat passes and overrunning the ball that goes on these days. Probably be huge bonus to defence.

Only issue is long passes on windy day. Make the game interesting though.

Poor cam smith though every pass will fail.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • porouian
  • jarro65
  • Big Del
  • Manlyman
  • ChewThePhatt
  • FACTHUNT
  • davidp
  • Skathen
  • BroncosAlways
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.