Round 13 - Canberra vs. Broncos - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
We haven't done enough this year to deserve a luxury like risking Hodges.

And the way we are playing, it's not like his absence would really result in him missing anything other than more losses. We need him to play to try and tur things around, delaying it a week is no longer good enough.

I don't think him playing against the Raiders gets us the win anyway. That's why I'd rest him.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
So courier mail says Hodges will be playing, I'd link but I'm past my free limit :laugh:

I see no reason why not too, lets face it, this is hardly "backing up" from an origin game, it's just another week. It's the same time span as playing a Sunday game followed by a Friday game. Having a Monday game after origin works in our favour, not that I like Monday games but if there's ever a good time it's after origin games for us.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Hodges won't put origin first, he'll play if fit I believe . Canberra may win but there will be no capitulation. For all his faults he loves his team and I know he was happy to return to Brisbane.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
No excuses this week with an almost full-strength side.

As you guys have already said, i too expect the boys to put in a very good performance .... considering last weeks disaster !!!

This could be a season defining moment too. If we lose, it might make it very hard to crack the eight again.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
No excuses this week with an almost full-strength side.

As you guys have already said, i too expect the boys to put in a very good performance .... considering last weeks disaster !!!

This could be a season defining moment too. If we lose, it might make it very hard to crack the eight again.

Do you think it's fair to compare this week's team to last week's?

For mine - vastly different, no comparison.

If we lose this week, given performances this years, we show ourselves (and the coaching staff) for what we are - a rudderless ship lost on a sea of confusion without a captain

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Do you think it's fair to compare this week's team to last week's?

For mine - vastly different, no comparison.

If we lose this week, given performances this years, we show ourselves (and the coaching staff) for what we are - a rudderless ship lost on a sea of confusion without a captain

There were plenty of guys who played last week who are playing Monday night.

They'll want a better performance for sure.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
There were plenty of guys who played last week who are playing Monday night.

They'll want a better performance for sure.

True but we get back Fearless Leader!!!!

Broncos by 60

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
We'll certainly need our Origin boys to fire up and really lead the way.

Canberras monster pack will be hard to contain on their home track, but if we can at least match them, i think the backs might be able to get the job done.

Having Hodges named will lift the team massively.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Canberra's monster pack - like any forward pack, are only as good as the room the defence gives them, and missed tackles. If we are in their face as soon as they get the ball (like the Roosters did mostly to the Eels last night) and don't miss the tackle, then their size advantage is minimized dramatically.

They also attack mainly down their right side - again, that's where we need to focus.

When you look at stats, both are more or less even EXCEPT missed tackles: Broncos - 339; Raiders 263

Last edited:
Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Corey Parker and Scott Prince were at the Rebel sport at Garden city today and I went and said gday to them.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Canberra's monster pack - like any forward pack, are only as good as the room the defence gives them, and missed tackles. If we are in their face as soon as they get the ball (like the Roosters did mostly to the Eels last night) and don't miss the tackle, then their size advantage is minimized dramatically.

They also attack mainly down their right side - again, that's where we need to focus.

When you look at stats, both are more or less even EXCEPT missed tackles: Broncos - 339; Raiders 263

We need to find some good line speed early on ..... rush up and meet them.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Reading the Raiders forum, it's funny how half of them are confident of a win, the other half are worried about that confidence knowing they've lost games they should've won.

Calling a spade a spade, they will smash us.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Reading the Raiders forum, it's funny how half of them are confident of a win, the other half are worried about that confidence knowing they've lost games they should've won.

Calling a spade a spade, they will smash us.

Why?

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I don't believe our returning players make up for our **** attack & defence.

Our attack isn't fucked, it's bloody terrific, when we're in the mood and key players decide to amble up into position. That's the real issue.

Ok, ok, for that reason alone our attack is shit and defence? Well, how many rockets can a Bronco's arse take?

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
I don't believe our returning players make up for our shit attack & defence.

Parker will help with some second-phase

Hodges will help with speed out of dummyhalf + inspiration/confidence for the younger blokes.

Thaiday should supply some good edge running and solid defence.

Gillett will hopefully have woken up from his slumber pre-origin and get back to his best.

So yeah, i reckon the returning players will make a big difference for us.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Parker will help with some second-phase

Hodges will help with speed out of dummyhalf + inspiration/confidence for the younger blokes.

Thaiday should supply some good edge running and solid defence.

Gillett will hopefully have woken up from his slumber pre-origin and get back to his best.

So yeah, i reckon the returning players will make a big difference for us.

Thaiday's edge running is pretty decent except for the fact that he doesn't look to pass to a non-existent support runner which is probably why....

Gillett (and Glenn), edges and holes ... it's not just them, they need a play that has been worked, planned and called, which means Gillett and Glenn, the halves and dummy half.

I think it's inadequate to separate any individual from this mix unless they are bone idle and I don't think Glenn and Gillett are lazy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Gaz
  • BroncosAlways
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.