Round 13 - Raiders vs Broncos - Pre-Match discussion

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
Along with not retaining Bennett was the decision to offer crap money to a very deserving Civoniceva. Two very ordinary, in fact terrible decisions. I don't reckon I can find anyone anymore who can argue we are now better placed than we were before those awful mistakes. I'm one of those people who thought Kennedy coming home might benefit both the player and club but my optimism was misplaced, he has not been a success. He may well be the best paid player in the Intrust Cup, something to be happy about, at least for himself !

We've been hot and cold these past three seasons and beating Canberra will be a hard task if we are anything less than full on. I thought we would turn up to beat Manly but I am much more concerned about this upcoming game.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
We can't just "forget Kennedy". He's burning a $400k hole in our cap. The only option is, as [MENTION=8603]jd87[/MENTION] above said, is to hope someone offers enough to blunt the impact. Eg, someone offers him $250k so we only have $150k being used. Not ideal, but better than $400k for someone we don't plan on using. What a shame, he could have been a great buy for us. And I can't really find any way to blame Griffin or the Broncos.

Unfortunately it seems like he was made to look good by the Rooster's pack, and may only ever be "that prop that bounced through some shoddy defence to score" at a time when NSW desperately wanted a player like him. Paul Vaughan, be wary of any hype that comes your way...

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
There was that whole thing at the start of the year with ASADA, I guess there's a small possibility his form is related to whatever that issue was, but I doubt it.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
We can't just "forget Kennedy". He's burning a $400k hole in our cap. The only option is, as @jd87 above said, is to hope someone offers enough to blunt the impact. Eg, someone offers him $250k so we only have $150k being used. Not ideal, but better than $400k for someone we don't plan on using. What a shame, he could have been a great buy for us. And I can't really find any way to blame Griffin or the Broncos.

Unfortunately it seems like he was made to look good by the Rooster's pack, and may only ever be "that prop that bounced through some shoddy defence to score" at a time when NSW desperately wanted a player like him. Paul Vaughan, be wary of any hype that comes your way...

I thought it was pretty clear he wasn't anything more than solid last year too. He's kinda like Michaels, started out very positive, got a serious injury, and was never the same again.

Vaughan will be awesome if he avoids the same fate.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
We can't just "forget Kennedy". He's burning a $400k hole in our cap. The only option is, as @jd87 above said, is to hope someone offers enough to blunt the impact. Eg, someone offers him $250k so we only have $150k being used. Not ideal, but better than $400k for someone we don't plan on using. What a shame, he could have been a great buy for us. And I can't really find any way to blame Griffin or the Broncos.

He has never been all that much of a player and signing him for that much was just baffling. At the Roosters last year he was just a passenger while JWH and Sam Moa were the main grunt in the front row that took Easts to the premiership.

Still don't understand why everyone was so thrilled about signing him, some were going on as if we had signed Shane Webcke the second.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Prediction: Mcrone starts you guys win, Cornish start Raiders win, looked so much sharper when he's been on the field.

He's a good prospect and I can't believe Ricky took this long to get him into the side personally.

Ricky's an idiot....you know that Harry.

Cornish is certainly a step forward, when compared to Josh McCrap.

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
Greenhouse mob saying our bench is shit. Haha people in glass houses....!!

I think Oates is a gun. Going to be a future star. I was annoyed at the signing of Lowrie but he has been outstanding especially in defence. Has been throwing himself at the ball runners and has caused a few mistakes. He for mine is almost equal to vidot on the buy of the season. Wallace is a good young player too and Hannant is Hannant. Don't know what bench their looking at but from where I'm sitting ours is miles ahead of theirs.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Fair play.

Copley scored two solid tries on the weekend. However he also made 4 handling errors which everyone has seemed to have overlooked.

In a game where we win by 26 and the player in question scored 2 good tries, it's ok to over look a handful of mistakes. He made up for them the best way possible with some sweet footwork to finish tries.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If these 3 players in particular have the same spark that lights the fire as they did last Sunday, Canberra will burn.

Hunt, Thaiday and Hannant

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
This will be an ambush. The Raiders can be a quality side when they want to.

Monday night, Origin period, in Canberra, Milford with a point to prove and the Raiders coming off shalacking by the Roosters.

Unless we get away to an early start, the boys will be pushing up hill.

A dangerous trend for us seems to be that the games we score early, we play well. Otherwises it's usually a tough night out.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Croker defending Hodges should see Copley or Hodges score a few tries IMO.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Broncos have a 45% win record against Ricky Stuart coached sides in Sydney. Their previous win being in 2010, their win before that was way back in 2006 when Broncos beat the Roosters.

I will also point out that Broncos have only managed to win 2 of their past 8 games against Raiders at Canberra.

I think it's going to be a tough one.

Last edited:
broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
In a game where we win by 26 and the player in question scored 2 good tries, it's ok to over look a handful of mistakes. He made up for them the best way possible with some sweet footwork to finish tries.

Disagree again.

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
Apologies.

I disagree that it's ok to overlook 4 errors just because he finished two trys he should have scored as a NRL level centre.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Copley, I just don't think that he should start in place of Hodges which was the initial point made and I'm absolutely certain I'm not alone.

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
Apologies.

I disagree that it's ok to overlook 4 errors just because he finished two trys he should have scored as a NRL level centre.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Copley, I just don't think that he should start in place of Hodges which was the initial point made and I'm absolutely certain I'm not alone.

And where is Hodges going to play...?

Unread

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Big Del
  • Harry Sack
  • Aldo
  • Santa
  • The Don
  • Cavalo
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Justwin
  • Howie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.