Round 16 - PRE GAME - Newcastle Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.
jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
It's more his inability and at times unwillingness to contest the high ball that holds him back the most, for that reason I rank Kahu, Maranta and Oates ahead of him.

I think Maranta and Kahu are far better wing options for us, and Oates can stay on the bench as he really provides something for us when he comes on.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
When they throw the ball around they can score points but paper thin defence and an at best average forward pack doesn't help their cause, doesn't mean an automatic 2 points for us this week, all we can do is continue doing what we have been and look to improve on it.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
We beat them without 6 of our Origin players.

We can beat them again.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Yeah i know right. . I'd have contested it at this stage of the year. . Better than having loading points and missing a final

Have Reed plead not guilty. He'll either get a week off now (which isn't ideal, but the best week to do it), or be found not guilty. Either way, he'll have zero points moving forward.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Have Reed plead not guilty. He'll either get a week off now (which isn't ideal, but the best week to do it), or be found not guilty. Either way, he'll have zero points moving forward.
I agree. And then in the unlikely event he gets found not guilty, have the week off anyway.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I've always thought this would be very smart, but clubs like... Never do it. Do you recall it ever happening? If suspension can be avoided with early plea, they ALWAYS do that. Even if it could potentially bite them in the arse come finals time.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I've always thought this would be very smart, but clubs like... Never do it. Do you recall it ever happening? If suspension can be avoided with early plea, they ALWAYS do that. Even if it could potentially bite them in the arse come finals time.

The last time Broncos tried it, they lost.

Thaiday last year.

I think it would be a smart move from the Broncos to just take the early plea. It's very unlikely that Reed will win. It was a crusher tackle, even though it was accidental.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
The last time Broncos tried it, they lost.

Thaiday last year.

I think it would be a smart move from the Broncos to just take the early plea. It's very unlikely that Reed will win. It was a crusher tackle, even though it was accidental.
That's the point though, fight it, lose and take the week off now, instead of getting some minor infringement during a do or die game later this year and be screwed by having high carry over points.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
That's the point though, fight it, lose and take the week off now, instead of getting some minor infringement during a do or die game later this year and be screwed by having high carry over points.

I was under the impression they got hit with more points if they fought the charge and were unsuccessful.

Read the judiciary info wrong, my bad.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Seriously, that incident with Reed happened right in front of us. He did absolutely nothing wrong. Even the Storm fans around us commented that it was pathetic that Munster stayed down. We all agreed it was pathetic when Maranta did it later on too but was unsuccessful in getting the penalty.

I cannot believe Reed got charged with that. He should challenge it because it was nothing but obviously, he will get suspended if he does challenge because the judiciary panel is a joke like everything else administrative wise in the NRL.

On a side point, the Storm fans I was sitting near were a champion bunch of supporters. Very fair in their comments and very accepting of our over the top cheering. They even congratulated us on the win. Great work Melbourne!!

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Was Macca playing lock when Parcell came on?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I was under the impression they got hit with more points if they fought the charge and were unsuccessful.

Read the judiciary info wrong, my bad.
They do, all charges have a 25% early guilty plea penalty reduction.

So with this charge being 75 points for early guilty plea, if he doesn't plead guilty and fails, it rounds off to a nice 100 (which is the original charge, before the 25% reduction), he takes the 1 week suspension when it's not super important and he has a nice zero carry over points so any tiny charge later this season won't automatically rule him out the week.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I think Maranta and Kahu are far better wing options for us, and Oates can stay on the bench as he really provides something for us when he comes on.

For mine, the tries Oates seems to keep scoring with relative ease is the "something", the impact, he provides for us. I'd rather have him play as many minutes as possible in 1st grade until he is ready for the back row, and I've been saying it since he started scoring tries on the wing in 2013 ... and blasting through Uate in the process.

Keep him hard and fit and gaining confidence and experience ... and putting a smile on my face every time he gets the ball.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I was always under the impression that suspensions still resulted in some kind of carry over. Seems bizarre that a serial offender gets to reset after each suspension.

Apparently I was wrong though.

abashii

abashii

NRL Player
Contributor
Jul 14, 2014
I was always under the impression that suspensions still resulted in some kind of carry over. Seems bizarre that a serial offender gets to reset after each suspension.

No, they do. If the penalty was 150 points, the player would serve 1 week and still have 50 carryover points as well. In this case if Jack contested the charge but was found guilty he would get 100 points which would be 1 week off with no carryover. I don't know if he has any points already.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

What you might be thinking of is "loading". If you get charged in the same (year?) and have priors, you get a small extra number of points (based on a %) for a previous non-similar offence and a bit more loading (maybe 50%?) for a previous similar offence.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
[MENTION=8536]Super Freak[/MENTION] let your old man know that according to NBN's online TV guide, this one will be LIVE on Friday night!

K-Style

K-Style

NRL Player
Jun 1, 2014
For mine, the tries Oates seems to keep scoring with relative ease is the "something", the impact, he provides for us. I'd rather have him play as many minutes as possible in 1st grade until he is ready for the back row, and I've been saying it since he started scoring tries on the wing in 2013 ... and blasting through Uate in the process.

Keep him hard and fit and gaining confidence and experience ... and putting a smile on my face every time he gets the ball.

Agreed. He (and McGuire) were still running hard at the end of that game when everyone else was buggered. With Vidot out we could use his strength in hit ups too. Kahu is good for a hit up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Bucking Beads
  • Behind enemy lines
  • mrslong
  • Justwin
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • Galah
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • ezpz
  • Skyblues87
  • Jedhead
  • ostin86
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.