POST GAME Round 16 - Roosters vs Broncos

I am agreeing that Morris flicked the ball away when he moved his foot. But Deardon placed the ball on his foot so what was Morris to do? Not move his foot? It's up to Deardon to play the ball correctly. Every time the player placing the ball makes contact with the markers leg and loses the ball it's a knock on/lost ball. I see no difference with this.
Everyday of the week Morris is pinged fro crowding. He stuck his boot in there deliberately. if you don't know the rule it's pointless continuing the debate.

Everyday of the week Morris is pinged fro crowding. He stuck his boot in there deliberately. if you don't know the rule it's pointless continuing the debate.
Just looked at it again and no way is it crowding for me. He makes the tackle and moves backward. But happy to leave it at that. Not like it cost us the match or anything.

Just looked at it again and no way is it crowding for me. He makes the tackle and moves backward. But happy to leave it at that. Not like it cost us the match or anything.

It's the definition of crowding. The defender has to clear the ruck. You'll notice Deardon plants the ball directly down. If he had done a Dylan Walker Origin move, where he puts the ball on a player's foot a metre in front of him, I'd agree.

In case you guys missed it, Channel 9 trotted Gus out to deliver one of his pre-Origin speeches imploring Broncos fans to stick around and watch their team.

Naturally Gus spent the rest of the coverage absolutely burying the club and telling the fans it's going to take years to recover from, but I don't think I've ever seen 9 resort to such desperate measures.

Good. The NSWRL have an agenda to destroy the Broncos, but 9 pay the bills. The fans turning away would be the most fickle, so asking them to stick around is useless. For 9 to get what they want, the Broncos need to perform. Let's see what the NRL do.

Well it would be easy to bag the boys but honestly these young fellas are still learning the game but thrown out there because of injury, they are just on a floggin to nothing.

Vlandys is kidding himself if he thinks the game is better the way its played now, the refereeing, the interpretations, the bunker, the 10 metres, the captains challenge, the play the ball............................... its all a farkin crap shoot.

Floggin the defensive side of the game over and over until they break so that they can 'manufacture' more tries is not my idea of entertainment or a fair contest.

That game is a prime example of everything that is wrong with the NRL.

Problem is he gets no criticism from the media so he probably thinks it is amazing. I wish someone could tell me why the media love him so much, if Greenturd has made these changes they would have lynched him.

Problem is he gets no criticism from the media so he probably thinks it is amazing. I wish someone could tell me why the media love him so much, if Greenturd has made these changes they would have lynched him.
I said it months ago, the media all love him because he gave their bosses an excellent deal. He's a shit CEO and looks after his buddies before the game.

Does feigning tackles and falling on his bum count as not playing?

Not defending them either. And credit where it's due, Darius had a few good games this year. He's back to old 2019 Darius now. Defensive prowess of a wet paper bag.

I thoughy Boyd was poor for thst try he got stepped for, but Staggs got exposed twice in the play that led to that try and nothing gets said. I dont mind if people get at Boyd when it's warranted, but dont ignore what went on before it. Kotoni was fairly average.

Why am I seeing all these accusations that the NRL is biased against the Broncos? All the fools saying that are just like Paul White, deflecting the blame onto others instead of having a scrap of credibility to admit it’s because of how bad people in the broncs are.

Pretty fucking embarrassing all round if you ask me. Boyd’s attempt wasn’t much worse than anyone else on the field though. Of course this will be seen as me defending him and not shitting on all 13 players on the field who arm grabbed an almost stationary opponent while Boyd is expected to tackle someone running at speed every time.

Because he signed a 7 year deal with fox and didn't release the price. I have no doubt whatsoever it was massively undervalued on our end.
The other thing that hasn't gotten mentioned, and a big reason 9 are quite obviously shitting themselves, is game selections next year.
9 want the Broncos on every Friday or Thursday. But they can't justify them if they are a losing Broncos. Fox also want more Broncos games. The difference is it doesn't matter too much for them if they are losing for a couple of years as the more rusted on fans watch on fox rather then occasional fans. There is only 1 way fox are getting more Broncos games........ and it is worth far more money to them then the business of the Broncos themselves.
Overall this will massively devalue our tv contract... but, what a coincidence, we just signed a 7 year deal for an undisclosed fee with fox sports! Isn't that lucky! Problem is, there's no way channel 9 pay even 2/3 Of what they are currently if Broncos aren't successful.
I can guarantee we are in for another 3-4 years of "tough/unlucky" calls on the field, at the judiciary and with the "integrity" unit. They will justify the poorer deal from 9 with a new Brisbane team coming in.... 1-2 years after they realise it will not bring back Broncos fans and their ratings continue to be poor is when we will magically improve our discipline and there will be no media leaks regarding player indiscretions.

Why am I seeing all these accusations that the NRL is biased against the Broncos? All the fools saying that are just like Paul White, deflecting the blame onto others instead of having a scrap of credibility to admit it’s because of how bad people in the broncs are.
Imagine having a life so sad you go onto opposition fans websites of teams you hate to comment.

The average person in western society lives about 28,000 days. There are around 1000 minutes you're awake a day... it is SO sad how you're wasting them. Carpe diem my friend, carpe diem.....

There's a few things he could've done differently.

You'll notice that he's retreating diagonally at full speed towards our left hand side corner post, that's not how you're taught to defend in a 1 on 1 situation at Fullback. In these scenarios you're taught to play either A) passive and jogging (so that you're in a position to match his lateral movement, but still in a position to accelerate once he commits to his line) or B) aggressive and squared up (get yourself between him and the goal line and then close the gap between yourself and the attacker, forcing him to make a much faster decision than he's anticipating).

If you're retreating at full speed diagonally with a guy running at full pace towards the goal line, you've already let them score. Instead of trying to sprint diagonally towards where he perceived Butcher would be if he maintained a straight line, he should have run SLOWER (yes, I know this is a bizarre thing to request from Boyd) and squared his body up with Butcher once he committed to a line.

View attachment 9706

At the point where Butcher makes his step on the inside, Boyd is in between him and the goal line, which is good, however because he was over-committing to the line that Butcher was initially running, he has no possible way to defend any sort of step to the left. I can only assume that Boyd was going at full speed because it's significantly more embarrassing for a Fullback to get outpaced by a forward than it is to get stepped by one.

View attachment 9707

As you'll see here, he's only about 2-3 metres away from Butcher at this point in time, and that's well after Butcher has made his step and Boyd has overrun it. If he was more patient, he would've been at least within arms reach of Butcher at this point and able to attempt a tackle, which is obviously better than not laying a finger on him.

TL;DR - Boyd was over-committing to the line that Butcher was running, which made Butcher's decision incredibly easy to take a step back to the left and score untouched. There's many Fullback's in the NRL who would of at the very least been in a position to attempt a tackle in this exact scenario. (I'm not suggesting that Boyd should have stopped him here, it's a very difficult scenario with a barnstorming 2nd rower running at you, but at the very least he should have been able to lay a hand on him)
This is all true and he should be better than this, but every single one of these missed one on one tackles of his over the last two years has occurred during an absolutely diabolical set of missed tackles by 12 other players that no other fullback in the comp has had to put up with. He has no time to think and do the right thing because in his head, as a professional football player the team should have moved forward, wrapped the ball up and made a fucking tackle. He should be ready, but no fullback would be perfectly positioned on these random line breaks that happen way too easily.

Again, not defending Boyd. He should be better but there’s extenuating circumstances here that people continue to forget.

This is all true and he should be better than this, but every single one of these missed one on one tackles of his over the last two years has occurred during an absolutely diabolical set of missed tackles by 12 other players that no other fullback in the comp has had to put up with. He has no time to think and do the right thing because in his head, as a professional football player the team should have moved forward, wrapped the ball up and made a fucking tackle. He should be ready, but no fullback would be perfectly positioned on these random line breaks that happen way too easily.

Again, not defending Boyd. He should be better but there’s extenuating circumstances here that people continue to forget.

Absolutely, I'm not singling Boyd out, the whole team is fucking trash defensively atm.

Pack it in. Replace everyone except Haas, Dearden and Carrigan. Put Staggs at fullback for the rest of the year. His attack would be better and he wouldn’t have to defend as much, well maybe not considering how shit our front line of defence is. Make changes for the future now. Tell Fifita to **** off this week too.

I said it months ago, the media all love him because he gave their bosses an excellent deal. He's a shit CEO and looks after his buddies before the game.
Alarm bells rang when the bloke pleaded for the government to step in and save the game when Covid hit. He was a really pushy fucker about it too. Haven't liked him since.

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Gaz
  • Hurrijo
  • bb_gun
  • Jedhead
  • Dexter
  • Big Del
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • BrentTatesChin
  • Johnny92
  • Ondi
  • Lurker
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.