POST GAME Round 16 - Roosters vs Broncos

Why am I seeing all these accusations that the NRL is biased against the Broncos? All the fools saying that are just like Paul White, deflecting the blame onto others instead of having a scrap of credibility to admit it’s because of how bad people in the broncs are.

Imagine having a life so sad you go onto opposition fans websites of teams you hate to comment.

The average person in western society lives about 28,000 days. There are around 1000 minutes you're awake a day... it is SO sad how you're wasting them. Carpe diem my friend, carpe diem.....

In all fairness he may be a troll but he is right to a degree. There is a lot of ref blaming for a scoreline of 58-12... Sure there were some poor calls on field but in no way should that mean 58 easy points. They didn't lose you the game.

Also to put it in perspective, aren't you the one who seems to believe the Titans are getting a leg up from the NRL just because we sign one of your players? If you had watched one of our last 6 games you'd notice we got called out of about 4 of them. Controversial call/s changed the Sharks game, lost to a clear forward pass in Panthers and Roosters games, even in that win last night it was bloody clear we were being hard done by with a controversial no try and heavily lopsided penalty/6 again count. With the exception of the Roosters game we almost doubled the other teams penalties/6agains.

It comes with being near the bottom of the ladder and unfortunately, doesn't look like changing. Maybe you should look inward before coming up with absurd NRL conspiracies.

Last edited:
I thoughy Boyd was poor for thst try he got stepped for, but Staggs got exposed twice in the play that led to that try and nothing gets said. I dont mind if people get at Boyd when it's warranted, but dont ignore what went on before it. Kotoni was fairly average.
Yeah, it was poor from Boyd but abysmal from Staggs. Katoni's biggest problem isn't so much the reads, it's that he turns in and plants his feet. Once he does that, he is effectively out of the defensive line and comes up with no one.

I thoughy Boyd was poor for thst try he got stepped for, but Staggs got exposed twice in the play that led to that try and nothing gets said. I dont mind if people get at Boyd when it's warranted, but dont ignore what went on before it. Kotoni was fairly average.

My only point in reply to yours is that sides like the Roosters come at your edge in waves of players all in support, at full speed which then exposes then destroys poor defensive shapes, and for mine, blaming a single player in a shitty edge structure misses the point. While Staggs certainly has issues in his reads and technique, comparing him in this context to one where you are the last line of defence is a lot different.

I think one on one, Staggs is ok. I'd like to see him at FB. Starting next week. Won't happen of course. Shame. I'd love to see our side with actual serious momentum from the back, and someone hunting for opportunities around the ruck.

Last edited:
My only point in reply to yours is that sides like the Roosters come at your edge in waves of players all in support, at full speed which then exposes then destroys poor defensive shapes, and for mine, blaming a single player in a shitty edge structure misses the point. While Staggs certainly has issues in his reads and technique, comparing him in this context to one where you are the last line of defence is a lot different.
You’re right. The comparison is bad. Group tackles on players who haven’t quite built up speed yet are much easier than one on one tackles at the back with all that space

You’re right. The comparison is bad. Group tackles on players who haven’t quite built up speed yet are much easier than one on one tackles at the back with all that space

Sorry mate, I edited my post after your comment. You might not agree with my addendum.

Last edited:
In all fairness he may be a troll but he is right to a degree. There is a lot of ref blaming for a scoreline of 58-12... Sure there were some poor calls on field but in no way should that mean 58 easy points. They didn't lose you the game.

Also to put it in perspective, aren't you the one who seems to believe the Titans are getting a leg up from the NRL just because we sign one of your players? If you had watched one of our last 6 games you'd notice we got called out of about 4 of them. Controversial call/s changed the Sharks game, lost to a clear forward pass in Panthers and Roosters games, even in that win last night it was bloody clear we were being hard done by with a controversial no try and heavily lopsided penalty/6 again count. With the exception of the Roosters game we almost doubled the other teams penalties/6agains.

It comes with being near the bottom of the ladder and unfortunately, doesn't look like changing. Maybe you should look inward before coming up with absurd NRL conspiracies.
Of course the entitled and shit players are at fault for the loss. But look how bad our calls are, on what planet 5 years ago would an opposition fan admit that the Broncos are getting bad calls? That's how bad and obvious the calls are. And the judiciary? Surely you can't dent we are the most "unlucky" team there. There has been weeks where the NRL has STATED IN A PRESS RELEASE that they are clamping down on something after suspending a Broncos player, only the very next weeks games to have multiple incidence and none were cited. We are the most penalised team in the NRL, that must be rright yep? well try this on for size, since 2006, we have been in the bottom 4 for penalties for/against.. multiple coaches, generations of players, all with SHOCKING discipline. The statistical likelihood of that occurring without some pre-meditation from the other side would be astronomical! Now there's an off field cap for spending haha... why? Because the Broncos can spend more then every other club. I mean ffs the on field cap isn't working and benefits certain clubs (privately owned clubs with rich investors coincidentally).

I don't think the titans are getting a huge leg up.... yet..... but there is no doubt if a Brisbane team is introduced tomorrow the titans fold. Its that simple, you can't dent that. You seriously think someone at NRL headquarters hasn't had a word to fifita about joining the titans. I will pout a bet on that he becomes an NRL "ambassador" next year. What does that mean? Legal payment OUTSIDE the salary cap FROM THE NRL...

I'm at a loss to understand. What was he supposed to do? I cannot for the life of me think of anyone in the world who could make a tackle in that situation. He was covering one direction but he cannot cover two, no one can. The attacker cut back behind him, I just don't know what you guys expect. 10 out of 10 times the fullback couldn't do anything about that.
Yeah don’t mind the 7 other broncos that missed tackles in that clip lol

However, on a points per game basis, they finished on 39.33, we are on 38.93, which is second in the NRL era. Worse than Souths 2002 (34.04), Souths 2004 (33.83) and Wests 1998 (33.41).

This team isn't just a bad team in Broncos history. It's one of the worst professional rugby league teams of all time.
Actually, it's only 32.69 ppg. Still bad but we have seen much worse sides over the years. It is still territory that is foreign to the Broncos and let's hope as fans that 2020 is as low as it'll ever get.

Actually, it's only 32.69 ppg. Still bad but we have seen much worse sides over the years. It is still territory that is foreign to the Broncos and let's hope as fans that 2020 is as low as it'll ever get.
Will be nudging 34 after the panthers game

We are comfortably the worst defensive side i have ever had the displeasure of watching in the NRL. This year is most definitely a write off, I wish we did not have to play the last 4 games.

Also does anyone else hate what is happening in regards to stripping over the last couple of years? For me it takes away from what rugby league is. And its getting worse. When teams are out in front they seem more likely to throw caution to the wind and attempt the strip. When your playing from behind its just one more thing you have to worry about. Combine that with a higher weight of possession against you through 6 to go calls and your on a hiding to nothing.

I'm at a loss to understand. What was he supposed to do? I cannot for the life of me think of anyone in the world who could make a tackle in that situation. He was covering one direction but he cannot cover two, no one can. The attacker cut back behind him, I just don't know what you guys expect. 10 out of 10 times the fullback couldn't do anything about that.

Well actually he completely over run. Being a fullback you need to pin your opponent so they don't have room to move and force them to your outside so you can make the tackle. Its NRL basic 101.

How did Riki and Dearden go?
They were good. Obviously, Dearden has a lot to learn but he has so many dynamics to his game which will only exemplify in time. Playing behind a horrid pack doesn't help things though. He just doesn't get enough opportunities in the red zone

Riki has a bit about him. Obviously very raw but he doesn't take a backwards step and is already a handful for opposition tacklers. I could see him being a major part of this team in 3-4 years under proper guidance.

They were good. Obviously, Dearden has a lot to learn but he has so many dynamics to his game which will only exemplify in time. Playing behind a horrid pack doesn't help things though. He just doesn't get enough opportunities in the red zone

Riki has a bit about him. Obviously very raw but he doesn't take a backwards step and is already a handful for opposition tacklers. I could see him being a major part of this team in 3-4 years under proper guidance.

Thanks for filling me in mate.

Hopefully we get a coach who can develop this guys well over the next few years and see them reach their potential.

Fair point.

I do however think that people have less tolerance for Boyd because he has no upside (Staggs is a weapon in attack, Boyd is drab), is not getting (and will not get) any better and seems oblivious to his own poor form (numerous quotes last year supporting this).

I totally agree Staggs defence needs a lot of work, but he is all passion, something that Boyd doesn’t seem to display (I don’t personally think he even has it in him at all anymore, but I know you disagree).

So I think people are willing to cut the youngster some slack whilst criticising the most experienced bloke in the team for similar fundamental errors.

A lot of people have been talking about Kotoni’s defense, it is absolutely horrid. If he wasn’t such an attacking weapon, he wouldn’t be in first grade.

Will be nudging 34 after the panthers game
Nudging a club record for points conceded in a single season as well. I think the record is 566 in 2009 (24 games). That record looks set to tumble in 17 short matches. A for and against of -301 is by far and away a club record by at least 200 points. The woeful and pathetic depths this club has sunk to in such a short space of time is mind boggling and concerning at the same time. Very dark days indeed.

Active Now

• Lazza
  • Jazza
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Muros
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Ondi
  • scobie
  • Splinter
  • thenry
  • Culhwch
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • ettybay
  • theshed
  • sooticus
  • Tmac
  • Gaz
  • Behind enemy lines
  • maddo
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.