POST GAME Round 16 - Roosters vs Broncos

So much. NRL says "we want to clean up and speed up the game/ruck" but then adds a rule where the ref alone has to make sure that all the other players drop off before the strip is effected and that there is no bobble in the strip and that if it goes awry then decide who knocks on. Meanwhile, the single ball carrier is basically defenseless in preventing a strip when they are wrestled correctly, all the while having the media push for offloads to up the excitement of the game. Hate the strip rule. Hate it. 1 on 1 was fine. Then they complicated it by saying that if there was ever one player who even brushed the ball carrier it's a penalty, so they changed that reactively. Ref could just use his freaking discretion, couldn't he? I so wish we had QCUP televised. No Bunker. None of the over analysis. Strip the game back, make it raw. Yeah, we will still complain about the refs, but at least it won't be this nitpicking nonsense. Refs to own their responsibilities (touchies especially) and players to just get on with the job. Not watching the monitors and screaming "challenge! Challenge!" Like D-grade lawyers.

I wish they would ban the strip all together. You strip you get penalised. Much simpler.

I wish they would ban the strip all together. You strip you get penalised. Much simpler.
it would free up the game, it should only be allowed in the act of stopping a try.

Last edited:

Whilst I don’t agree with it in the sense that others don’t get cited for much worse, it’s just another thing to add to the long list of stupid shit he has done.

I believe it was at least somewhat deliberate (he could have just fallen with the tackle) and I’ve been banging on for what seems like 12 months or more about how he is just a dumb footballer.

Dumb people are going to do dumb things though I suppose.

The strips great but I prefer the old way it was ruled, 1 in 1 is fine anymore and it’s a penalty. I don’t like how you can have multiple people wrestling a guy around then all of them dropping off the moment before a ball comes loose and it’s fine.

I'm at a loss to understand. What was he supposed to do? I cannot for the life of me think of anyone in the world who could make a tackle in that situation. He was covering one direction but he cannot cover two, no one can. The attacker cut back behind him, I just don't know what you guys expect. 10 out of 10 times the fullback couldn't do anything about that.

Do you see Tedesco fall over three times a game? Sure a fullback can be wrong footed but every time? 50% chance which way he’s going but hasn’t made the right call once.

Add in data and video, they know foot work and fend data. Do you think Slater gets stepped and falls over beaten by a reserve forward?

The strips great but I prefer the old way it was ruled, 1 in 1 is fine anymore and it’s a penalty. I don’t like how you can have multiple people wrestling a guy around then all of them dropping off the moment before a ball comes loose and it’s fine.

Maybe make a rule where you are not aloud to intentionally drop off to play for a 1 on 1 strip. This would create more situations left up to the interpretation of the referee, which is not always good but I think they could make it work.

Do you see Tedesco fall over three times a game? Sure a fullback can be wrong footed but every time? 50% chance which way he’s going but hasn’t made the right call once.

Add in data and video, they know foot work and fend data. Do you think Slater gets stepped and falls over beaten by a reserve forward?
Does the roosters or storm defensive line get ripped to shreds 10 times a game?

Unusually, I’m not going to hang Offa completely out to dry after this game. Possibly a bit misguided, but he tried to bring a bit of aggression and take it to JWH and for that I’ll give him some credit as it hasn’t been part of his game previously. Nobody else seemed interested in trying to put a bit of sting in the defence. Was it a flawed performance from him overall? I guess so, but at least he made a change to his attitude this week. And for that, I won’t shitcan him completely. Next week may be a different story though.

Of course the entitled and shit players are at fault for the loss. But look how bad our calls are, on what planet 5 years ago would an opposition fan admit that the Broncos are getting bad calls? That's how bad and obvious the calls are. And the judiciary? Surely you can't dent we are the most "unlucky" team there. There has been weeks where the NRL has STATED IN A PRESS RELEASE that they are clamping down on something after suspending a Broncos player, only the very next weeks games to have multiple incidence and none were cited. We are the most penalised team in the NRL, that must be rright yep? well try this on for size, since 2006, we have been in the bottom 4 for penalties for/against.. multiple coaches, generations of players, all with SHOCKING discipline. The statistical likelihood of that occurring without some pre-meditation from the other side would be astronomical! Now there's an off field cap for spending haha... why? Because the Broncos can spend more then every other club. I mean ffs the on field cap isn't working and benefits certain clubs (privately owned clubs with rich investors coincidentally).

I don't think the titans are getting a huge leg up.... yet..... but there is no doubt if a Brisbane team is introduced tomorrow the titans fold. Its that simple, you can't dent that. You seriously think someone at NRL headquarters hasn't had a word to fifita about joining the titans. I will pout a bet on that he becomes an NRL "ambassador" next year. What does that mean? Legal payment OUTSIDE the salary cap FROM THE NRL...

9 are not getting Fifita to do any work for them, those payments are made when 9 use you. Slater, Tedesco or Cronk. Fifita doesn’t have the same analytical mind.......

In all fairness he may be a troll but he is right to a degree. There is a lot of ref blaming for a scoreline of 58-12... Sure there were some poor calls on field but in no way should that mean 58 easy points. They didn't lose you the game.

Also to put it in perspective, aren't you the one who seems to believe the Titans are getting a leg up from the NRL just because we sign one of your players? If you had watched one of our last 6 games you'd notice we got called out of about 4 of them. Controversial call/s changed the Sharks game, lost to a clear forward pass in Panthers and Roosters games, even in that win last night it was bloody clear we were being hard done by with a controversial no try and heavily lopsided penalty/6 again count. With the exception of the Roosters game we almost doubled the other teams penalties/6agains.

It comes with being near the bottom of the ladder and unfortunately, doesn't look like changing. Maybe you should look inward before coming up with absurd NRL conspiracies.
Fair call and pretty much on the money.

The fact that you start by stating an opposition fan wouldn't admit Broncos were getting bad calls 5 years ago just shows how back then they were getting bordering on every 50/50 call. Oh no you finally have to deal with this shit like the rest of us! Realistically though I know how it is and felt bad in the Manly game and last night. I am assuming with the judiciary you are pointing towards Haas who I could probably agree with as I don't see much consistency with the crusher plus the fact I personally believe it should also be the attacking players responsibility to not sit down backwards in a tackle. Kotoni got suspended for good reason and TPJ has been pretty much your only other player suspended and god knows he deserves them. Onto this notion that you have been bottom 4 for penalties F/A since 2006... I know for a fact up until 2019 you had less penalties conceded than the majority of teams, however I do find it interesting that you have also been given less at the same time. Honestly, I would be happy to watch games where we get less penalties but also give away less personally. It is what makes Origin so good at times. Hard to draw much from these stats as most years your for is still greater than against with the notable exception of this year where there is a large difference. To be fair though more penalties are going to go against you when you are getting monstered and players are more tired which you have been in many games but yes there is a massive difference this year. As to an off field cap... who gives a rats arse Holbrook is one of the cheapest coaches going and I am more then content with his performance, whereas you pay a tonne for Pies and....

On the Brisbane team being introduced causing Titans to fold:
How the hell does a new Brisbane team have any relation to the Titans whatsoever? No one I know from Brisbane supports the Titans, it is all Broncos, whereas we have Gold Coast down into northern NSW. That discounts tonnes of fans flocking to a new bris team. Secondly, we along with the Broncos were one of the only teams to make a profit last year in a spoon year... Imagine if we had some success and fans which there are more than you think started flocking back to games. To add to that which of our clubs had to sack staff during covid and which didn't even have to cut wages? We are not struggling financially and all signs point to not struggling on the field in the near future. Moving on to Fifita, we already out paid you by a long shot, how the hell do you think we need that as well? If he needed 4-500k a year plus whatever you believe an ambassadorship is worth on top there would have to be serious questions on your own dodgy dealings in my opinion.
So th3 1st paragraph was just a long winded way of you just agreeing with me but not saying you're agreeing with me?
And the titans are no chance of folding... You are kidding right???????? Was it 5 years ago the NRL bailed them out? 2-3 years ago there was constant talk of them folding still. Has the fan base grown since then or have they simply decreased their spending to tread the line? Is that a sustainable business model for a sporting franchise? Haha How many gold coast franchises has there been?

Do you live in QLD? The top of the gold coast is 30 mins from the bottom of Brisbane. 50 mins from centre to centre. There are A LOT of people that live in GC and travel to Brisbane for work, and a small amount that do vice-versa. Titans don't need to maintain their fan base to survive, they need to grow it. Another south east Queensland team anywhere will effect titans ability to do that. They are not an alternative for the fans in South East Queensland because they lack history, success and stability. In 2012 they were 35 million dollars in debt! In 2015 they needed a bail out from the NRL.
You tried it with hayne , you tried it with ash Taylor, jamal idris, peachey. But hey, this ones different lol

You guys are crazy, the strip is great. If our team could actually figure out how to utilise it effectively you would all be loving it.

The rule was fine how it was before though. Munster did three genuine one on one strips in one game. Having the other defenders roll off then rip the ball out is crap. They've let people rip the ball the moment the other two come away which is a joke.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncos4life
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.