POST GAME Round 16 - Roosters vs Broncos

I didn’t even both watching last night, but I started today to see where we fell off. The 13th minute period fucked us over. We are attacking in their half, Ofa gets tackled on top of a player JWH knocks out himself and they get marched up field. Ofa then makes a dominant tackle and is penalised for what exactly? Being a Bronco I guess. **** this sport. It’s not rugby league anymore.
And the follow up tackle he gave it to JHW again both were strictcly legal but I presume the ref deemed them to be too 'hard'. I was amazred that the forum was bagging Joffa all night and screaming for his demise. I thought he actually put in in the game I watched.

And the follow up tackle he gave it to JHW again both were strictcly legal but I presume the ref deemed them to be too 'hard'. I was amazred that the forum was bagging Joffa all night and screaming for his demise. I thought he actually put in in the game I watched.

It was actually an offside penalty against Rhys Kennedy.

It’s crazy some of the commentators talked about him playing origin this year. He’d probably hand the series to Queensland if he played in the centres.
I want him in their team as they might teach the bastard what defence looks like.

I literally don't understand why people are still complaining about Boyd.

Yeah he's fucking shit, but he's honestly not stand out bad when he's in this pack of spuds, the team as a whole is next level shit, and he has to contend with 10+ linebreaks a game.

But really, who gives a ****? He's gone in 4 weeks, he's the absolute last of our problems this year the paper thin forward pack, shit wing defence and clueless centres are all bigger problems, but more importantly than that, the season is done and all that matters is looking to the future. How Boyd plays in his final 4 weeks doesn't really mean anything, I'm far more concerned about the rest of the plodders because they'll be here next year.

Croft - Garbage
Offa - Overpaid Garbage
Paix - Meh
Kennar - meh
Staggs - Putrid in defence, he'd need to double his attack output to make up for his defence
Farnworth - good
Kahu - Shit but hopefully gone next year
Dearden - Solid, future player
Kennedy - Average plodder, hopefully gone next year
Fifita - Not our problem, don't care
Te'o - He's worth what he's getting paid
Riki - I like him
Bullemor - Seems dead average so far
Hopoate - gone next year

Honestly our team is trash and the most worrying thing for me is maybe a new coach can't undo the damage Seibold has done, and next year might be a write off too.

Last edited:
yeah I agree and forgot to mention it in my post-game. The strip sucks - it’s ugly and is a poor amendment to an already fine rule.

Ball security is one thing as there’s already hands everywhere on the ball trying to stop the offload and slow down the play, but now you have to worry about someone stealing the ball once the tackle has been completed and the ref is allowing a tug-of-war contest before the play the ball. You’ve stopped, you aren’t gaining an advantage, are preparing to put the ball back into play and can still have the ball taken off you. Stupid.

Strips should be solely first-contact and/or if a second defender is legitimately bumped off and it remains a sole 1v1 tackle. none of this 3v1 to stop a player, essentially affect a tackle and then run away going ‘not me sir I didn’t tackle him’
Exactly!

For 17 seasons our penalty differential has been in the negative, so your claim that "most years your for is still greater than against" is false . Even if just talking about the NRL era, we have been in the negative for 11 seasons, equal for 1 and positive for 11, so again your claim is made up and shows you don't know what you are talking about, especially when you say things like, "Oh no you finally have to deal with this shit like the rest of us!" and that we "were getting bordering on every 50/50 call."

It really just shows that you go along with the rest of the NRL crowd that the Broncos have been historically favoured without actually thinking for yourself.

I get it though, the Titans haven't won a thing in their first 14 years (we'd won 5 premierships by that point) so it's understandable that you might be a little bitter. The fact that you guys couldn't survive on your own and had to go into voluntary administration to survive probably doesn't help with that chip on the shoulder, either.

The fact that our penalties conceded is so low means little when the amount we are awarded is even lower. Differential is everything when it comes to who has the advantage in this sport, whether you are talking about points for and against, metres gained vs metres conceded or penalties awarded vs penalties conceded.
Lol feed 'im

Boyd just looks like someone trying not to do an ACL or an ankle. The way he falls over is 100% protection with no sudden movement changes

Have been saying that since the start of 2018.

He suffered multiple hamstring injuries in 2017. Over that off-season he said that he'd retire if the injuries kept occurring. He made sure that hasn't happened.

Since the start of 2018 the player we once knew and loved completely disappeared. He refused to make any sudden directional changes in attack and defence, and was very hesitant to stretch out to top speed in open field.

It's pretty disgraceful really.

Not trying to make excuses for boyd he most definately should've done better then he did, but I thibk the overcommittment to Butcher's initial line may also be because the roosters supporting running was on the outside shoulder so he was probably expecting a pass and factored that in to his line.

In saying that though I still think the old mantra of attack the ball not where it might go Should be applied as it should apply to the whole team he should only have had eyes for the ball carrier. I thibk this team has alot of issues with thia in defence, trying to target where the ball might go rather then just targeting the ball. Seriously bad defence...... as usual unfortunately.

Do you see Tedesco fall over three times a game? Sure a fullback can be wrong footed but every time? 50% chance which way he’s going but hasn’t made the right call once.

Add in data and video, they know foot work and fend data. Do you think Slater gets stepped and falls over beaten by a reserve forward?
I don't see DB fall over three times a game either. You and others like you just plain make shit up and are dead silent when Boyd has a good game in a badly flogged team. Anyway, DB has 4 more games to finish his career and I'd expect genuine good sports would just shut the **** up and leave him alone if they have nothing to say. Hell, if they had honour they'd accord him some praise for all the things he does right. I've never liked the term 'UnAustralian' but shit, there's plenty of them on here.

I suppose it's too much to expect from the 'never was beens' who think they're qualified to give DB a tutorial on full back play.

But you know he is a fullback.. he's supposed to fucking make those one on one tackles when there's a line break. Serious question.. has he made a tackle let alone a try saver at fullback in the last 2 seasons. He seems to take the dummy, take a knee or unsuccessfully try to bump wingers into touch. Can't wait till he is fucking done.
Oh you're so right, he hasn't made a single one. Of course that's true when we're checking the memory of a person who deliberately blocks seeing those events. It's happened lot's of times but if you condition a brain to deliberately delete such events you won't find them when you go looking for them. Well done, megamind.

I don't see DB fall over three times a game either. You and others like you just plain make shit up and are dead silent when Boyd has a good game in a badly flogged team. Anyway, DB has 4 more games to finish his career and I'd expect genuine good sports would just shut the **** up and leave him alone if they have nothing to say. Hell, if they had honour they'd accord him some praise for all the things he does right. I've never liked the term 'UnAustralian' but shit, there's plenty of them on here.

I suppose it's too much to expect from the 'never was beens' who think they're qualified to give DB a tutorial on full back play.
Thing is @Huge - it's not just us mate.

This is not a vandetta, this is getting pissed off not only with the pathetic efforts of many - but insipid efforts from one of our most experienced and highly paid players. Milf gets it, Bird cops it for being injured all the time, etc.

I've given Boyd a wrap a couple of times this year for playing well - I call it like I see it and what I saw last night was a return to 2019 Boyd.
Was the rest of the team shit? Yes! No argument at all. Calling out a senior player for directly contributing to that is not really out of the norm for all clubs, it's certainly not limited to this forum or certain members here.

You've gone into bat for a few people who you feel have been scapegoated this year, namely Boyd and Croft. The former is retiring soon and has really dented his legacy. The latter is having probably the worst year he could imagine. I hope he improves, but it seems even the club has started losing faith in him too, not just people on here. By all means, get in and show us when we've overstepped, but you probably also need to concede that when he has a shocker, he's going to get hammered for it.

Last edited:
Thing is @Huge - it's not just us mate.

This is not a vandetta, this is getting pissed off not only with the pathetic efforts of many - but insipid efforts from one of our most experienced and highly paid players. Milf gets it, Bird cops it for being injured all the time, etc.

I've given Boyd a wrap a couple of times this year for playing well - I call it like I see it and what I saw last night was a return to 2019 Boyd.
Was the rest of the team shit? Yes! No argument at all. Calling out a senior player for directly contributing to that is not really out of the norm for all clubs, it's certainly not limited to this forum or certain members here.

You've gone into bat for a few people who you feel have been scapegoated this year, namely Boyd and Croft. The former is retiring soon and has really dented his legacy. The latter is having probably the worst year he could imagine. I hope he improves, but it seems even the club has started losing faith in him too, not just people on here. By all means, get in and show us when we've overstepped, but you probably also need to concede that when he has a shocker, he's going to get hammered for it.
Yes, I totally get it and sure, get the opinions that support a narrative you're (the writer) pedaling. I mean, if I were writing a piece and wanted to hammer a direction I'd probably do the same thing.

What's weird though is the team missed 39 tackles and in that piece of crap ONLY Boyd is mentioned by name. I don't know how you cannot see this kind of spiteful 'journalism' is simply a regurgitation of the muck written on this forum. I'd argue some of bhqs posters wrote this tripe. Phrases like 'phoning it in' and 'not putting his body on the line' sound familiar because the intellectual giants simply cannot string a sentence together without parroting another.

Boyd has played quite well this season and most certainly did not 'have a shocker' yesterday. Some of his team mates did though. Also just yesterday the Titans won in the dying moments and guess how the last try was scored? Someone breaks through and before you know it the fullback has to try and stop multiple attackers. Result, he gets a touch on the tryscorer, whoopdedoo! So what, he didn't stop the try and THAT try was the matchwinner. It wasn't the 11th try though. Silence. Crickets. Oh, **** no. Let's write about an absolutely inconsequential try which has zero bearing on a match.

Is there such a thing as a 'complex right step'? I mean they way it's written you'd have to assume there's such a thing, right? The writer infers that beating Boyd ONLY required the simple version of a right step and it might have been understandable and acceptable if Butcher was forced to employ the 'COMPLEX RIGHT STEP'.

The tone of a piece can be set by using the right words in just the right manner. So we have such great luminaries of the game , Mark Gottlieb, Jelisa Apps and Christian Nicolussi, all journos quoting one another with EXACTLY the same garbage we read on here. The only one with a shred of credibility is Jimmy Smith who simply asked the question 'will Gentle drop Boyd'. By the way, no he won't is your answer.

The team had 58 points points scored on them and what's the focus? Boyd slipping over trying to cover two defenders after repeated failures from his team mates. One fucking lousy try, after 50 points had been blasted past the Broncos and what's the article focused on? Absolute garbage journalism. How about talking about the players who missed 2, 3, 4, 5 tackles? Putrid.

The team had 58 points points scored on them and what's the focus? Boyd slipping over trying to cover two defenders after repeated failures from his team mates. One fucking lousy try, after 50 points had been blasted past the Broncos and what's the article focused on? Absolute garbage journalism. How about talking about the players who missed 2, 3, 4, 5 tackles? Putrid.

I would argue that that particular incident is the focus in this thread because you asked for a specific breakdown of what he was supposed to do. Boyd cops a bad wrap in particular because his defensive issues have been a theme over the last couple of years. I will concede that the spotlight on him intensifies because he is a whipping boy on these forums.

I would argue that that particular incident is the focus in this thread because you asked for a specific breakdown of what he was supposed to do. Boyd cops a bad wrap in particular because his defensive issues have been a theme over the last couple of years. I will concede that the spotlight on him intensifies because he is a whipping boy on these forums.
Nope. I was referring to the article as quoted. I read unbreakable's twaddle and thought how laughable it was that an internet warrior felt qualified to criticise an ex international on fullback play. I just pictured this Neville standing in front of a seated DB and the other 29 squad members with his pointer and telestrator explaining to DB where he went wrong.

I'm sure they'd all just stand and applaud, looking at DB and saying, "see Darius, that's what you should have done" whilst distancing themselves from DB and huddling around @Unbreakable and waiting for the next pearls of wisdom to drop from his lips. "Please, please Unbreakable, tell me how I can be a better halfback" says Dearden, "do me next" would shout Haas. Oh what a day, Unbreakable is finally here to teach us all.

Nope. I was referring to the article as quoted. I read unbreakable's twaddle and thought how laughable it was that an internet warrior felt qualified to criticise an ex international on fullback play. I just pictured this Neville standing in front of a seated DB and the other 29 squad members with his pointer and telestrator explaining to DB where he went wrong.

I'm sure they'd all just stand and applaud, looking at DB and saying, "see Darius, that's what you should have done" whilst distancing themselves from DB and huddling around @Unbreakable and waiting for the next pearls of wisdom to drop from his lips. "Please, please Unbreakable, tell me how I can be a better halfback" says Dearden, "do me next" would shout Haas. Oh what a day, Unbreakable is finally here to teach us all.

Come on man. You asked for a breakdown of what Boyd could have done and @Unbreakable took the time to do it in detail. You may not agree with him but he raised completely valid arguments, to shoot him down in this way makes you look a bit of a hypocrite.

Nearly everything you said just isn't true and to throw in unaustralian please. If you can't see that he is losing his balance the last two seasons, I have no idea how to convince you.

Balance is the thing that goes when you are no longer elite, batsman lose it and never get back- as soon as you see a batsman falling over- he's done and not performing.

Ponting second last Test.

I don't normally get involved in Boyd stuff, in fact you'll find 0 posts from me regarding his form.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.