POST GAME Round 16 - Roosters vs Broncos

A lot of people have been talking about Kotoni’s defense, it is absolutely horrid. If he wasn’t such an attacking weapon, he wouldn’t be in first grade.
He and Farnworth are absolutely clueless down that side. Herbie leads the NRL in "try causes" in 2020. He has absolutely no idea how to defend. I don't think anyone has ever taken the time to show him.

I didn’t even both watching last night, but I started today to see where we fell off. The 13th minute period fucked us over. We are attacking in their half, Ofa gets tackled on top of a player JWH knocks out himself and they get marched up field. Ofa then makes a dominant tackle and is penalised for what exactly? Being a Bronco I guess. **** this sport. It’s not rugby league anymore.

He and Farnworth are absolutely clueless down that side. Herbie leads the NRL in "try causes" in 2020. He has absolutely no idea how to defend. I don't think anyone has ever taken the time to show him.

This is the main reason I am set I think on getting Hook back. Forget about going for a premiership next year, get in a coach who knows how to develop kids and that is without a doubt Hook.

From what I saw last night Farnworth wasn't the problem, he was always put in 2 vs 1 situations by players on the line going for 2 in the tackle and exposing Farnworth against 2, the tackles he could make he did.

I thoughy Boyd was poor for thst try he got stepped for, but Staggs got exposed twice in the play that led to that try and nothing gets said. I dont mind if people get at Boyd when it's warranted, but dont ignore what went on before it. Kotoni was fairly average.
I panned Katoni's defense too earlier in the thread mate [emoji6]

I didn’t even both watching last night, but I started today to see where we fell off. The 13th minute period fucked us over. We are attacking in their half, Ofa gets tackled on top of a player JWH knocks out himself and they get marched up field. Ofa then makes a dominant tackle and is penalised for what exactly? Being a Bronco I guess. **** this sport. It’s not rugby league anymore.

Yeah the team is mentally fragile and that whole play was exactly what sets them off on their rot. What happened with Joffa wasn’t great and I can understand why he got penalised even though I don’t agree.

The fact he then got the Broncos only penalty of hitting too hard compounded the problem. Meanwhile, JWH is CLEARLY holding shirts and winning penalties, giving away three straight penalties AND talking back to the ref, nothing but crickets.

No I’m not blaming the refs for the loss but this lack of consistency is frustrating as a fan. The game before also I still have no idea why the Gold Coast didn’t get a try and were penalised as well for something that was totally clear cut.

Refereeing is killing the fairness in the game.

A lot of people have been talking about Kotoni’s defense, it is absolutely horrid. If he wasn’t such an attacking weapon, he wouldn’t be in first grade.

It’s crazy some of the commentators talked about him playing origin this year. He’d probably hand the series to Queensland if he played in the centres.

Can you explain EXACTLY what he was supposed to do? No, not a throwaway line like, make a tackle, put his body on the line, no. Tell me what he physically had to do to satisfy you. That means, speed up, slow down, move left, move right, levitate, backpeddle, what?

Describe in detail what you think he physically did wrong? Be precise now.
Fifita was close on the far side, Boyd should have pulled up earlier and made him go at least straight which would have given Fifi a fair crack.

The only way Boyd was going to have anything to do with a tackle there was if the attacker stepped into the direction Boyd was moving (which would be silly as the momentum is already going that way) and someone with many years expertise should know that.

What a joke joffa got put on report for kneeing friend after heargraves knocked him out! Purely accidental!

Everyone on the field knew it otherwise there wouldve been atleast some sort of push and shove. Bunker buying in to the rooster narrative as always..... after heargraves abuses the ref...

Of course the entitled and shit players are at fault for the loss. But look how bad our calls are, on what planet 5 years ago would an opposition fan admit that the Broncos are getting bad calls? That's how bad and obvious the calls are. And the judiciary? Surely you can't dent we are the most "unlucky" team there. There has been weeks where the NRL has STATED IN A PRESS RELEASE that they are clamping down on something after suspending a Broncos player, only the very next weeks games to have multiple incidence and none were cited. We are the most penalised team in the NRL, that must be right yep? well try this on for size, since 2006, we have been in the bottom 4 for penalties for/against.. multiple coaches, generations of players, all with SHOCKING discipline. The statistical likelihood of that occurring without some pre-meditation from the other side would be astronomical! Now there's an off field cap for spending haha... why? Because the Broncos can spend more then every other club. I mean ffs the on field cap isn't working and benefits certain clubs (privately owned clubs with rich investors coincidentally).

I don't think the titans are getting a huge leg up.... yet..... but there is no doubt if a Brisbane team is introduced tomorrow the titans fold. Its that simple, you can't dent that. You seriously think someone at NRL headquarters hasn't had a word to fifita about joining the titans. I will pout a bet on that he becomes an NRL "ambassador" next year. What does that mean? Legal payment OUTSIDE the salary cap FROM THE NRL...

The fact that you start by stating an opposition fan wouldn't admit Broncos were getting bad calls 5 years ago just shows how back then they were getting bordering on every 50/50 call. Oh no you finally have to deal with this shit like the rest of us! Realistically though I know how it is and felt bad in the Manly game and last night. I am assuming with the judiciary you are pointing towards Haas who I could probably agree with as I don't see much consistency with the crusher plus the fact I personally believe it should also be the attacking players responsibility to not sit down backwards in a tackle. Kotoni got suspended for good reason and TPJ has been pretty much your only other player suspended and god knows he deserves them. Onto this notion that you have been bottom 4 for penalties F/A since 2006... I know for a fact up until 2019 you had less penalties conceded than the majority of teams, however I do find it interesting that you have also been given less at the same time. Honestly, I would be happy to watch games where we get less penalties but also give away less personally. It is what makes Origin so good at times. Hard to draw much from these stats as most years your for is still greater than against with the notable exception of this year where there is a large difference. To be fair though more penalties are going to go against you when you are getting monstered and players are more tired which you have been in many games but yes there is a massive difference this year. As to an off field cap... who gives a rats arse Holbrook is one of the cheapest coaches going and I am more then content with his performance, whereas you pay a tonne for Pies and....

On the Brisbane team being introduced causing Titans to fold:
How the hell does a new Brisbane team have any relation to the Titans whatsoever? No one I know from Brisbane supports the Titans, it is all Broncos, whereas we have Gold Coast down into northern NSW. That discounts tonnes of fans flocking to a new bris team. Secondly, we along with the Broncos were one of the only teams to make a profit last year in a spoon year... Imagine if we had some success and fans which there are more than you think started flocking back to games. To add to that which of our clubs had to sack staff during covid and which didn't even have to cut wages? We are not struggling financially and all signs point to not struggling on the field in the near future. Moving on to Fifita, we already out paid you by a long shot, how the hell do you think we need that as well? If he needed 4-500k a year plus whatever you believe an ambassadorship is worth on top there would have to be serious questions on your own dodgy dealings in my opinion.

What a joke joffa got put on report for kneeing friend after heargraves knocked him out! Purely accidental!

Everyone on the field knew it otherwise there wouldve been atleast some sort of push and shove. Bunker buying in to the rooster narrative as always..... after heargraves abuses the ref...

Because he signed a 7 year deal with fox and didn't release the price. I have no doubt whatsoever it was massively undervalued on our end.
The other thing that hasn't gotten mentioned, and a big reason 9 are quite obviously shitting themselves, is game selections next year.
9 want the Broncos on every Friday or Thursday. But they can't justify them if they are a losing Broncos. Fox also want more Broncos games. The difference is it doesn't matter too much for them if they are losing for a couple of years as the more rusted on fans watch on fox rather then occasional fans. There is only 1 way fox are getting more Broncos games........ and it is worth far more money to them then the business of the Broncos themselves.
Overall this will massively devalue our tv contract... but, what a coincidence, we just signed a 7 year deal for an undisclosed fee with fox sports! Isn't that lucky! Problem is, there's no way channel 9 pay even 2/3 Of what they are currently if Broncos aren't successful.
I can guarantee we are in for another 3-4 years of "tough/unlucky" calls on the field, at the judiciary and with the "integrity" unit. They will justify the poorer deal from 9 with a new Brisbane team coming in.... 1-2 years after they realise it will not bring back Broncos fans and their ratings continue to be poor is when we will magically improve our discipline and there will be no media leaks regarding player indiscretions.
Brilliant.

Fair point.

I do however think that people have less tolerance for Boyd because he has no upside (Staggs is a weapon in attack, Boyd is drab), is not getting (and will not get) any better and seems oblivious to his own poor form (numerous quotes last year supporting this).

I totally agree Staggs defence needs a lot of work, but he is all passion, something that Boyd doesn’t seem to display (I don’t personally think he even has it in him at all anymore, but I know you disagree).

So I think people are willing to cut the youngster some slack whilst criticising the most experienced bloke in the team for similar fundamental errors.

I dont disagree, i've been saying he has been finished for 18 months. In saying that though, i'm not sure he is as drab in attack as people think he is. 8 assists, probably all since he switched to fullback isnt that bad. Its a sad state of affairs though that even as broken and run down as a footballer Boyd is, he is still the best option we have at fullback.

I dont think Kotoni can be classed as an inexperienced player though anymore. He must have played close to 50 games now and played at test level. He does play with lot of passion, but i'd sayblokes like Whitchurch and Maranta did as well and not many people cut them any slack. Boyd would have copped pelters for the kind of efforts Staggs put in for the try Darius got stepped. People probably know my feeling about things like that though. I like to judge what happens at that particular time in the game no matter who the player, i feel its hypocritical not to. As you rightly say, they both made fundamental errors which at both stages of their careers they shouldnt be making. They arent the only ones who are doing it though either.

He has always been suspect defensivley even in ISC. I think he is at the stage in his career though where a competent coach would iron that out of his game.

My only point in reply to yours is that sides like the Roosters come at your edge in waves of players all in support, at full speed which then exposes then destroys poor defensive shapes, and for mine, blaming a single player in a shitty edge structure misses the point. While Staggs certainly has issues in his reads and technique, comparing him in this context to one where you are the last line of defence is a lot different.

I think one on one, Staggs is ok. I'd like to see him at FB. Starting next week. Won't happen of course. Shame. I'd love to see our side with actual serious momentum from the back, and someone hunting for opportunities around the ruck.

He made two seperate attempts in the same play though and didnt get either right. I'm not sticking up for Boyd either, i though he got his positioning all wrong, but its not that easy to change direction when you are backpeddling against a bloke running full tilt at you. Look at when Melbourne played Newcastle and Papenhauzen did the same sort of thing to Ponga. We had plenty of players who could and should have put a stop to that play before it got to Darius. I think Boyd cops a lot of criticism he fully deserves, but at times, i think he cops criticism because he is Darius Boyd and people refuse to judge what he does objectively.

We are comfortably the worst defensive side i have ever had the displeasure of watching in the NRL. This year is most definitely a write off, I wish we did not have to play the last 4 games.

Also does anyone else hate what is happening in regards to stripping over the last couple of years? For me it takes away from what rugby league is. And its getting worse. When teams are out in front they seem more likely to throw caution to the wind and attempt the strip. When your playing from behind its just one more thing you have to worry about. Combine that with a higher weight of possession against you through 6 to go calls and your on a hiding to nothing.
So much. NRL says "we want to clean up and speed up the game/ruck" but then adds a rule where the ref alone has to make sure that all the other players drop off before the strip is effected and that there is no bobble in the strip and that if it goes awry then decide who knocks on. Meanwhile, the single ball carrier is basically defenseless in preventing a strip when they are wrestled correctly, all the while having the media push for offloads to up the excitement of the game. Hate the strip rule. Hate it. 1 on 1 was fine. Then they complicated it by saying that if there was ever one player who even brushed the ball carrier it's a penalty, so they changed that reactively. Ref could just use his freaking discretion, couldn't he?

I so wish we had QCUP televised. No Bunker. None of the over analysis. Strip the game back, make it raw. Yeah, we will still complain about the refs, but at least it won't be this nitpicking nonsense. Refs to own their responsibilities (touchies especially) and players to just get on with the job. Not watching the monitors and screaming "challenge! Challenge!" Like D-grade lawyers.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Ondi
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • scobie
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Culhwch
  • thenry
  • maddo
  • Tim K
  • mieko
  • broncoscope
  • broncos4life
  • marw
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.