PRE-GAME Round 17 - Broncos vs Panthers

So tired of these pathetic kind of posts. As if Boyd was ever our problem. I wonder who you'll transfer your tosser comments on to next season. No doubt you'll get a new target, your type always does. The worst kind of supporter a club could have. Disgusting.
My bets macca. He's injured, will probably play as a last resort, trained the house down, did all the right things and came back in record time when injured, but will probably be castigated for not having the speed of a guy in his twenties, the hitting of a front rower, or the leadership of Bennet or lockyer.
We are so tied up on the likes of Boyd and macca, that even when theyre not playing they're still to blame, because of the cap they take.
Our youngsters on the other hand are still learning the game, so can be excused for not knowing an arm grab isn't 1st grade defence or "still developing" so being lazy at the line is OK. I swear almost any player can be excused if they are good in attack, young or old.
We value so little the attitude to defence. I can't really blame this forum because I heard on the weekend our ex-coach didn't personally oversee defence either (despite it being the number one problem with players, team and club).
If I could see one thing happen it would be to sack any forward who doesnt at least put his body in the right place to tackle or any back who can't be bothered to be in place on the fourth or fifth or lazy on the kick chase.
We need to go to the basics first. And Boyd, Haas, dearden or anybody else has to know there is a line that can't be crossed.
Too much is forgiven in this team but some sins are worse than others. Missing a tackle whilst defending your third set isn't great but kind of understandable. Being found flat footed on your own line because you werent concentrating should cost you your spot regardless who you are.
Dropping a ball in the thirtieth minute with possession running 60 % against likewise isn't great but again understandable. Being a winger or centre that drops it second tackle again should cost you your spot.
That first twenty minutes of the game is so important for this team, particularly in the 6 again era, but we rarely play like it.
After twenty minutes roughly 4 times out of 5 you can pick the eventual winner based on weight of possession.
How no one at this club hasn't clued onto how important those opening minutes are, leaves me worrying how we expected any success at all.
It's a pretty simple game. Chase your kicks, train to put bodies into position to tackle, halves put themselves into position to kick, wingers and centres knowing the best run is the one that gets you out of your danger zone, the best pass the one that sticks, the best game, the one you finish the 79th minute like your first.

My bets macca. He's injured, will probably play as a last resort, trained the house down, did all the right things and came back in record time when injured, but will probably be castigated for not having the speed of a guy in his twenties, the hitting of a front rower, or the leadership of Bennet or lockyer.
We are so tied up on the likes of Boyd and macca, that even when theyre not playing they're still to blame, because of the cap they take.
Our youngsters on the other hand are still learning the game, so can be excused for not knowing an arm grab isn't 1st grade defence or "still developing" so being lazy at the line is OK. I swear almost any player can be excused if they are good in attack, young or old.
We value so little the attitude to defence. I can't really blame this forum because I heard on the weekend our ex-coach didn't personally oversee defence either (despite it being the number one problem with players, team and club).
If I could see one thing happen it would be to sack any forward who doesnt at least put his body in the right place to tackle or any back who can't be bothered to be in place on the fourth or fifth or lazy on the kick chase.
We need to go to the basics first. And Boyd, Haas, dearden or anybody else has to know there is a line that can't be crossed.
Too much is forgiven in this team but some sins are worse than others. Missing a tackle whilst defending your third set isn't great but kind of understandable. Being found flat footed on your own line because you werent concentrating should cost you your spot regardless who you are.
Dropping a ball in the thirtieth minute with possession running 60 % against likewise isn't great but again understandable. Being a winger or centre that drops it second tackle again should cost you your spot.
That first twenty minutes of the game is so important for this team, particularly in the 6 again era, but we rarely play like it.
After twenty minutes roughly 4 times out of 5 you can pick the eventual winner based on weight of possession.
How no one at this club hasn't clued onto how important those opening minutes are, leaves me worrying how we expected any success at all.
It's a pretty simple game. Chase your kicks, train to put bodies into position to tackle, halves put themselves into position to kick, wingers and centres knowing the best run is the one that gets you out of your danger zone, the best pass the one that sticks, the best game, the one you finish the 79th minute like your first.
Macca never had the speed of a bloke in his 20s.

Hahaha I mean, after the Roosters game he wasn't looking so great as a coach. I really thought he would emphasise the need to defend very strongly the opening and closing quarters of the game. I just wish we could turn this around faster. We were obviously trying, and I hope that continues, but we have no cohesion yet.

You know, I was so glad to see Seibold talk about a rotating roster, which would mean that the entire team would be working on structure and learning it together, meaning that there would be no gaps or problems if we had injuries. I think having so many injuries and so much change so quickly had the opposite effect.

Bennett was always about defense first and I think it has to be our first focus. Forget winning the game so much as winning the defensive battle. Build from there. Unfortunately, the 6-again fiasco has overloaded the defensive burden for the young squad. Someone posted this elsewhere, but they spoke about bashing one side over and over until it was boring, but effective.

Right now, there is no fear of our defense. Staggs is a strong tackler, but his reads are not allowing him to hit hard in defense. Same with Fifi, I think. I hope Ryan turns that around. Make people afraid to run at Milf or Dearden because they will have their kidneys shattered by our second rowers. Even Haas doesn't tackle hard. Imagine him putting his body weight into a technique tackle. The only player I see tackling hard is Hopoate.

He seems to be pushing on with the ‘game model’ Seibs tried to instill.

His plaintiff bleating during the Roosters presser that ‘they won’t stick to the system and shapes we have’ shows this guy, ain’t head coach material...

If he can’t see by now that whatever ‘game model’ they think they have is an absolute load of dogshit, then he has no business coaching.

He seems to be pushing on with the ‘game model’ Seibs tried to instill.

His plaintiff bleating during the Roosters presser that ‘they won’t stick to the system and shapes we have’ shows this guy, ain’t head coach material...

If he can’t see by now that whatever ‘game model’ they think they have is an absolute load of dogshit, then he has no business coaching.
Yeah I was impressed after his first presser but he undid all that good work in his presser after the Roosters game. When he went on about not sticking to the systems, that had Seibold written all over it.

Don't want to throw him under the bus as it wouldn't be easy coming in under these circumstances but I'd love for him to put 'his' stamp on the team.

You know it's a sad, sad time for the fans when they only source of enjoyment we can find is reminiscing over 2007 and 2009, a period of time in the comps history that may as well be scrubbed from the books.

As long as he is practising his catching and trusts Herbie to cover his spot.
That is the key here. Herbie is woeful defensively and is a total panic merchant when the play comes down his side. Good move separating he and Staggs but it won't patch up all the holes.

You know it's a sad, sad time for the fans when they only source of enjoyment we can find is reminiscing over 2007 and 2009, a period of time in the comps history that may as well be scrubbed from the books.
Some teams have been through years at the bottom, Broncos haven't seen the bottom for a long time. I've been watching the Broncos since 91 and I can't remember any like this so I think myself lucky to have only ever been through this less than a handful of times.

That is the key here. Herbie is woeful defensively and is a total panic merchant when the play comes down his side. Good move separating he and Staggs but it won't patch up all the holes.
What??

Herbie is one of the only on his side that can tackle.

I still think even by the end of his career I could not tell you how fast he really was. Even on the intercept he did not look like he really pushed himself. Such a relaxed runner of the ball. Great player.

Last edited:
What??

Herbie is one of the only on his side that can tackle.

He can probably tackle, but his reading of the play needs work. He comes in too often which leaves us exposed.

He can probably tackle, but his reading of the play needs work. He comes in too often which leaves us exposed.

The problems I saw with the wing was the inside players such as Staggs committing to an 2 on 1 tackle leaving Herbie to contend with 2 to tackle in which they can easily get through.

On a sliding defence each player has to commit to a 1 on 1 tackle atleast at the start of contact to stop a hole being created.

The winger on the end in most cases has very little defensive options as their role is completely dependent on the inside players.

I think our team is much better defensively if he is at Centre but we also have massive issues if we play someone like croft who seems to have no ability what so ever to make a tackle one on one or even slow a player enough to get a support defender.

We have alot of trust issues in defence and with good reason because a few players can't tackle for the life of them, if you can't make a tackle in this game your not fit to play.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to this one. They are due a loss, we are due a win. I dont see how we are losing this one.

We can’t even score more than 12 points. So unless they have a shocker and we win 12-10 it’s not happening. There’s no way we’re going toe to toe with them in a tight contest either. Even with Staggs

Such a good post. I have more praise for it but will leave it for when I'm not on night shift.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Harry Sack
  • Hurrijo
  • Bish
  • Big Del
  • Dexter
  • BrentTatesChin
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Gaz
  • bb_gun
  • Jedhead
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Johnny92
  • Ondi
  • Lurker
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.