PRE-GAME Round 17 - Broncos vs Panthers

What??

Herbie is one of the only on his side that can tackle.
Leads the comp in "try causes" by a significant margin. I'm not going to overly criticize him because he is just a rookie in a shit team. But if he doesn't shore up his defensive issues, his career in the game won't be a long one.

Some teams have been through years at the bottom, Broncos haven't seen the bottom for a long time. I've been watching the Broncos since 91 and I can't remember any like this so I think myself lucky to have only ever been through this less than a handful of times.
Broncos have never seen the bottom. Their worst season was in 2013 when they finished 12th and even then they were only 3 games under .500. This season is totally foreign to the club, it is incomparable to anything they have produced in the past.

We have alot of trust issues in defence and with good reason because a few players can't tackle for the life of them, if you can't make a tackle in this game your not fit to play.

I think out first contact technique is poor in this team, the Storm and Roosters first lock up the attackers arms and the ball then the support defenders come in to bring the him down.

Last edited:
Leads the comp in "try causes" by a significant margin. I'm not going to overly criticize him because he is just a rookie in a shit team. But if he doesn't shore up his defensive issues, his career in the game won't be a long one.
No he doesn't it says break causes(which who knows how they determine the player at fault for).

But the leading try cause player in the competition is actually Croft(despite less games) and if you look basically every outside back is leading stats on that which points to trust issues more then the individual.

I would bet a big chunk of that is when he was next to Croft and he gets to share in the spoils of Crofts disgusting defence.

Last edited:
No he doesn't it says break causes(which who knows how they determine the player at fault for).

But the leading try cause player in the competition is actually Croft(despite less games) and if you look basically every outside back is leading stats on that which points to trust issues more then the individual.

I would bet a big chunk of that is when he was next to Croft and he gets to share in the spoils of Crofts disgusting defence.
I stand corrected but this doesn't include the past match where Herbie's stats would have become significantly worse. Check out the Morris and Tupou tries in the second half, he needlessly rushed in when it wasn't required. I like Herbie, he has been a bright spark in a very gloomy season. And like most rookies, he is a work in progress. He has suffered from a totally incompetent coaching staff and hopefully next year his deficiencies can be addressed by a competent??? coaching brigade.

I think you will find once our team can solve the players who can't tackle so trust can be installed on our line, our defence will be Significantly better.

There is no trust which makes us lambs for the slaughter without the ball.

I'm looking forward to this one. They are due a loss, we are due a win. I dont see how we are losing this one.

Agree 1000000000%. A win is on the cards

Dare I ask by how much?

Can we ask Penrith to only run on their hands? We might stand a chance to be beaten only by 30 then.

With Oates back I'd be keen to see Boyd dropped with Kahu going to fullback but Kahu was so shit he doesn't deserve to stay in the squad either.

Do we think with Gentle now being the official coach, he'll make any line up changes? Or will the status quo continue until a real head coach takes over.

The balls in Gentle's court and what does he have to lose? Anything he does that precedes a win will be seen to his credit and if they lose?. Well even that will seem as a "win" if we are somhow competitive. If we get slaughtered? Well that is unfortunately our set standard, so he can literally throw caution to the wind: sack anyone he likes, promote anyone he likes, follow any game plan he cares to, and pretty much say what he feels like.
After all, if someone upstairs doesn't like it what are they going to do? sack him? He knows he's already looking at a new club next season, so sacking him just gives him some Xmas spending money and more time to send out some resume`s.
Imagine if he pulled off one or two wins. He'd probably end up with a better win percentage than his predecessor. It's all roses.

I've just watched young Kennedy's interview and I enjoyed hearing from him. That's one guy who is loving playing first grade and who wants to improve as he goes. I can see him being the right kind of player for the Broncos.

I don't care if others think he's substandard. For me he is exactly what the club needs, a young forward with ambition. If we can pick up a couple mature battle hardened forwards for next year our recovery will be underway.

I think I got it wrong about McCullough though and we really could have done with him this year. I hope he comes back and starts each half for 20 minutes. Wouldn't blame him for telling the Broncos and I to get fucked.

I've just watched young Kennedy's interview and I enjoyed hearing from him. That's one guy who is loving playing first grade and who wants to improve as he goes. I can see him being the right kind of player for the Broncos.

I don't care if others think he's substandard. For me he is exactly what the club needs, a young forward with ambition. If we can pick up a couple mature battle hardened forwards for next year our recovery will be underway.

I think I got it wrong about McCullough though and we really could have done with him this year. I hope he comes back and starts each half for 20 minutes. Wouldn't blame him for telling the Broncos and I to get fucked.

He is a depth prop, at best. The fact most of our props are depth props at best, is yet another issue at our club...

I really hope we throw a fair bit of money at a decent, experienced prop like Welch or similar very soon. Someone like him next to Haas starting, with Lodge and Flegler coming off the bench and Offa (urghhh) and Kennedy as rotational depth in the squad would be my preference moving forward...

He is a depth prop, at best. The fact most of our props are depth props at best, is yet another issue at our club...

I really hope we throw a fair bit of money at a decent, experienced prop like Welch or similar very soon. Someone like him next to Haas starting, with Lodge and Flegler coming off the bench and Offa (urghhh) and Kennedy as rotational depth in the squad would be my preference moving forward...
Absolutely. Kennedy may very well be a depth prop now but as we all acknowledge it takes time to develop props. I see nothing to suggest he won't continue to develop and may end up as the type of prop you correctly identify as a requirement for next year. I'm not suggesting he will be that prop next year just that the future is unknown.

Active Now

• Stix
  • Dexter
  • Gaz
  • Sproj
  • Ondi
  • Big Del
  • Waynesaurus
  • xilliun
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Bucking Beads
  • Harry Sack
  • Hurrijo
  • Bish
  • BrentTatesChin
  • bb_gun
  • Jedhead
  • TwoLeftFeet
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.