Round 17 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seemed like an extension of the Walker's mantra to milk possession for as long as possible and prevent the defence from carrying the football.

That and their desire to try and turn everything into a contest were the key tenets behind their 2015 premiership.

Sam took it too far, but if he's prepared to go to that length, good on him.

[st_table="45%"][st_tr][st_td_row="2"]
15879.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Bass Player - www.cowboysstampede.com.au[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .August 9, 2016
[/st_td][/st_tr][/st_table]
1959.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]StuBoot - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 22, 2010
Sorry, have to disagree, to say it's the same as tapping it over the dead ball line, really?

Tapping it over the dead ball ( or grounding it in-goal ) is generally the only and best option which they are coached to do.
The opposition controlled the last play and hence you have to react.

When you have the ball on the last tackle 20m from your opponent's try line with less than 20 seconds to go and you're the playmaker that has been trained and coached to close out sets and win games you have a myriad of options. Pretty much any kick you want to taking the tackle to even plain old running over the sideline at a pinch.
You control the last play so trust your skills and instinct.

To me it appears that Walker didn't trust his skills and his instinct was to run away.
Yes, he "managed" the result but he shirked an opportunity to ice the game by not taking one of the many options he would need to take if he was chasing the game.

I'm with @The Who on this one.

It sounds like you're more disappointed as a fan, being robbed of a final play to entertain you. I understand that. Perfectly reasonable.
But the two plays are different versions of the same thing (waste time, get the ball out) and do not stand up to protest on a tactical or "cowardly" level.

[/st_td_row][st_td]Will on the hill. - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 29, 2019
15879.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Bass Player - www.cowboysstampede.com.au[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .August 9, 2016

It sounds like you're more disappointed as a fan, being robbed of a final play to entertain you. I understand that. Perfectly reasonable.
But the two plays are different versions of the same thing (waste time, get the ball out) and do not stand up to protest on a tactical or "cowardly" level.

The cowardly/lack of confidence argument holds no water.
If it did taking a penalty goal over a tap should be equally lambasted.

40 nil 40 nil 40 nil

1959.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]StuBoot - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 22, 2010
15879.jpg

I'll agree to disagree, that's what forums are about.

Not disappointed at lack of entertainment, more the fact that a young player that I have seen do some fantastic things to date chose that way to end the play when he has shown he's been up to it previously.

Yes, he's young so still learning.

The fact that his coach sat there with a deadpan look on his face suggests to me that he thought there was a better way to do things, he didn't exactly back him up in the post match presser or since.

There has been mixed responses which is understandable and even the ones that have backed him up have qualified it by saying it's not a good look and he might do things differently next time.

As I said before, I've got no probs with him hoofing it into the grandstand or running out but running backwards like that is p!sspoor in my opinion.

32887.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Fonzarelli - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .July 3, 2021
what an ugly jersey

15879.jpg
1959.jpg
I'll agree to disagree, that's what forums are about.

Not disappointed at lack of entertainment, more the fact that a young player that I have seen do some fantastic things to date chose that way to end the play when he has shown he's been up to it previously.

Yes, he's young so still learning.

The fact that his coach sat there with a deadpan look on his face suggests to me that he thought there was a better way to do things, he didn't exactly back him up in the post match presser or since.

There has been mixed responses which is understandable and even the ones that have backed him up have qualified it by saying it's not a good look and he might do things differently next time.

As I said before, I've got no probs with him hoofing it into the grandstand or running out but running backwards like that is p!sspoor in my opinion.

Yeah, that's personal preference and subjective threasholds, no arguments from me.
I stand by the principal so I don't have to worry about the content.

953.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Spacey - www.cowboysstampede.com.au[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 30, 2010
who is the backrow beast who scored for Manly?

953.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Spacey - www.cowboysstampede.com.au[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 30, 2010

who is the backrow beast who scored for Manly?

Olakau'atu

90.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Winger's Fault - www.cowboysstampede.com.au[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .February 24, 2005
Billy Walters signing anywhere isn't "news", sorry Fox

1133.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Joshaz87 - www.cowboysstampede.com.au[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 5, 2011
801.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]SeaEagleRock8 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .March 7, 2009
The backwards run does actually have some potential as an attacking move - can draw some defenders out of a straight line, and next minute you've turned retreat into a dashing try. Don't forget the kid's pedigree, the Walker brothers are very unconventional coaches, young Walker has probably grown up exposed to all kinds of um, different ideas!

Link - http://silvertails.net/tipping-competition/

Walker has been allowed to play and develop his own game for the most part. It's really good to see how his development will continue, and whether he will gel with Keary next year.

The league has been crying out for a return to real halves that have all the tricks in their bag, and have a go. I'd prefer that than a bunch of robots programmed to obey the coaches orders and playbook.

"As a proud Kokatha, Naghiralgal and Dauareb-Meriam man it's incredible" Patty Mills

47.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]mickqld - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .September 13, 2004
93.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Wellington Warrior - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .May 15, 2012
REACTIONS: 11,506

Tom Dearden is absolute garbage!

Tripped over his own feet, lost the ball and it's been all rorters since. Fu**ing hopeless Cows.

1507.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]2830 Eagle - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .May 6, 2010
Real smart for the storm and knoghts to both wear whute

90.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Winger's Fault - www.cowboysstampede.com.au[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .February 24, 2005
Not sure why people are edging themselves over Jake Clifford, he has been diabolical tonight.

Like real dogshit

90.jpg

Not sure why people are edging themselves over Jake Clifford, he has been diabolical tonight.

Like real dogshit

He is up against Melbourne to be fair, everyone looks like rubbish against them.

90.jpg

Like real dogshit

Tim Deardon: Just random dogshit you've stepped on in the park
Clifford: Storebrought dog shit, Deardon can't compare to that fancy stuff.

1649.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Jerry1 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 14, 2010
4734.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Aman - nzwarriors.com[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .April 9, 2016
REACTIONS: 8,418

Jesus christ what's the point of existing as a club when you have the Melbourne Storm in the comp.

Meh 40 - 0 seen that score before...

1959.jpg
Real smart for the storm and knights to both wear white
Well, technically they’re both playing away.

1649.jpg
[/st_td_row][st_td]Jerry1 - silvertails.net[/st_td][/st_tr][st_tr][st_td="0.7"]JOINED: .June 14, 2010

Meh 40 - 0 seen that score before...

One of my favourite rugby league games 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncoFan94
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skathen
  • kman
  • Fozz
  • Painin the Haas
  • Mustafur
  • RolledOates
  • Culhwch
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.