[Round 19, 2021] Panthers vs Broncos

his 147m gained and 34 tackles are a good reason to start him
Really ? Kennedy had 106 metres in less than half the minutes!

Don't misunderstand me here, I think there's an excellent prop in Flegler. That said, starting a tough match with two 20 year old props doesn't make sense to me.

Contrasted with Penrith we have Moses 26 and JFH 25. Not saying it's mandatory but I feel a starting berth should be earned which Haas has done. I believe Flegler is being rewarded prematurely.

his 147m gained and 34 tackles are a good reason to start him
Also, you're not really using statistics are you? You know on bhq stats aren't worth a pinch of shit🤣🤫

Want to know why Herbie has alot more runs then Staggs in basically every game, because unlike staggs him, Oates and Isaako they actually do the tough carries at the start of our sets, Staggs doesn't at all, he needs to get involved more.

I do agree though it looks like Herbie will be more effective on the wing but our team has a serious problem moving the ball that way its been like that all season except for the few times Kelly was there and then amazingly Herbie looked like a centre because he would get decent ball.

Croft wasn't half bad tonight for his standards but his instincts are mud he is way too small to constantly look to run first he gets absolutely folded.

How many on here actually watch what is going on?

Like Blaming herbie for being a ball hog when most of his carries are basically being a Forward on the early tackles of the sets, most times he has the option to pass to Oates it will almost certainly result in oates going over the touch line, our Ball movement on the left since Kelly has gone has been absolutely shocking, there is never cut out passes to move to that side fast unlike on the right. I would put some blame to Niu for that as well since he overtly favours the right as well.

The way we are now Herbie might as well replace Glenn at Second row because he will actually make meters, and be able to tackle.

What an intelligent, perceptive post. Couldn't have said it better myself 😛

Somewhat more seriously, the fact that our 2 strike backs get SFA ball, from structured backline spreads, which are the hallmark of the top 6 sides, unlike us and other bottom dwellers, goes to the heart of my fundamental concerns with Kevvie's coaching .. so far.

We have so many points waiting to be scored out wide, and we do little to set them up.

I don't know if I'm being harsh but Herbie has been shit. He can't beat his opposite 1 on 1 and he never fucking passes.

Am I being too harsh? As I see it, he's only suitable for wing.

Well, our "play makers" might give Herbie the ball with more than 6" of space to move. I didn't see one backline move last night where Herbie was on the receiving end of a structured spread. Staggs got the ball once or twice I think.

Our backline game plan sucks big time

Wow Kev just said he thought Flegler played his best game of the year

that's because he did.

Haas needs some help in the go forward department ... he can't keep doing it by himself. and finally last night he had some help in Flegler (146m) who was the only other forward besides Haas to crack the 100m mark.

while generally he needs to fix his discipline, even the sin bin last night wasn't as bad as it seemed. Yeo was in the process of attempting to score, so it's not like he was standing completely upright, he had dropped down ... and i guarantee if he didn't make the attempt then the people around here would be whinging about him being lazy.

that's because he did.

Haas needs some help in the go forward department ... he can't keep doing it by himself. and finally last night he had some help in Flegler (146m) who was the only other forward besides Haas to crack the 100m mark.

while generally he needs to fix his discipline, even the sin bin last night wasn't as bad as it seemed. Yeo was in the process of attempting to score, so it's not like he was standing completely upright, he had dropped down ... and i guarantee if he didn't make the attempt then the people around here would be whinging about him being lazy.
He also had his worst 10 minutes of NRL.

knock on first set which resulted in no ball for about 7 minutes. Penalised on the 4 when holding them in their end again. Sin bin.

The worst possible conditions to start a game and it was all Flegler

What an intelligent, perceptive post. Couldn't have said it better myself 😛

Somewhat more seriously, the fact that our 2 strike backs get SFA ball, from structured backline spreads, which are the hallmark of the top 6 sides, unlike us and other bottom dwellers, goes to the heart of my fundamental concerns with Kevvie's coaching .. so far.

We have so many points waiting to be scored out wide, and we do little to set them up.
I'd say it is more from the lack of creativity our halves have in creating space for our outside men. Gamble can throw a decent pass but struggled last night given Penrith standing offside in our line all night. Croft just has no creativity in his game whatsoever. Kelly on the other hand........

Oates, Farnworth, Niu and Isaako have all been playing like forwards. Forwards who don't offload or pass. That's a big part of our attack problem. We have all these backs settling, none of them supporting, none of them looking to pass. Bullemor and Hetherington made them look like Carrigan.

For all the shit being dumped on Flegler, at least he's trying to develop an offload like TPJ, albeit flung backwards with his eyes closed, rolling along the ground.
All of the top teams are using their outside backs this way, Because it translates to Faster PTB speeds I wouldn't fault us for that, offloads are not something I would be constantly looking for for the early tackles though thats a sure way to get pumped.

Outside that though we have massive issues moving the ball side to side fast enough to allow them space in later tackles, I think once Kelly is back we will see a big improvement in that, Niu has abandoned the left basically since Kelly went injured.

We were the better side and should have won.

Apart from shooting ourselves in the foot, the refereeing was absolutely atrocious.
How disheartening it must be for these young blokes to be under pressure all week, come out and give an incredible performance - matching it with the team leading the competition, only to be absolutely shafted by horrendous officiating and then have their coach say absolutely zero about it.

I understand the notion of taking the moral high ground and not making excuses but enough is enough and Kevvie needs to start making a fuss. Ivan Cleary’s team won and STILL his main post match comments were around how Flegler should have been sent off instead of binned.. it’s a ridiculous assertion but I bet the next player to high tackle a panthers player will be red carded. Say what you want about appearing to whinge, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and using your comments as a coach translates DIRECTLY to benefits in on-field officiating.. whether you like it or not.

Penrith had 5 or 6 head high tackles I saw worse than Fleglers and none of them even a penalty (let alone a sin bin), they were offside and all over the ruck all night and we couldn’t buy a 6 again for love nor money (and when we were given one out of pity, it was always 0 or 1st tackle), whereas Penrith were magically gifted a repeat set on 4th or 5th whenever they needed it. Fans have eyes and it’s plainly obvious that the same behaviours from either team weren’t being treated the same by the refs. Totally blatant and I’m unsure whether it’s corruption or ineptitude or both but for the love of god we can’t just keep sitting back and saying ‘oh that’s how it is’ and taking it.

Yes the team needs to be better and play to a level where we can overcome bad calls and not put ourself in a position to be robbed - but Jesus Christ let’s do something to give them a chance to build some wins and confidence now and then we can worry about that down the track.

gave myself 24 hours to calm down post game and watch a replay to make sure I wasn’t just being biased before posting this. Turns out I wasn’t.

We have to be the most frusterating team to watch with our lack of footballing intelligence. So many simple unforced errors such as forward passes, sheppards, basic dropped ball and poor kicks.

I hate to agree with Phil Gould but to quote him "there is a football team in there somewhere". We just need the glue to hold it together. Someone to stear out attack and give us a kicking game.

I said it last week and ill say it again. Staggs on 700k is a complete waste when the play doesn't get past the 200k back rower next to him.

There are many more frustrations to come but i do think we are improving.

We were the better side and should have won.

Apart from shooting ourselves in the foot, the refereeing was absolutely atrocious.
How disheartening it must be for these young blokes to be under pressure all week, come out and give an incredible performance - matching it with the team leading the competition, only to be absolutely shafted by horrendous officiating and then have their coach say absolutely zero about it.

I understand the notion of taking the moral high ground and not making excuses but enough is enough and Kevvie needs to start making a fuss. Ivan Cleary’s team won and STILL his main post match comments were around how Flegler should have been sent off instead of binned.. it’s a ridiculous assertion but I bet the next player to high tackle a panthers player will be red carded. Say what you want about appearing to whinge, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and using your comments as a coach translates DIRECTLY to benefits in on-field officiating.. whether you like it or not.

Penrith had 5 or 6 head high tackles I saw worse than Fleglers and none of them even a penalty (let alone a sin bin), they were offside and all over the ruck all night and we couldn’t buy a 6 again for love nor money (and when we were given one out of pity, it was always 0 or 1st tackle), whereas Penrith were magically gifted a repeat set on 4th or 5th whenever they needed it. Fans have eyes and it’s plainly obvious that the same behaviours from either team weren’t being treated the same by the refs. Totally blatant and I’m unsure whether it’s corruption or ineptitude or both but for the love of god we can’t just keep sitting back and saying ‘oh that’s how it is’ and taking it.

Yes the team needs to be better and play to a level where we can overcome bad calls and not put ourself in a position to be robbed - but Jesus Christ let’s do something to give them a chance to build some wins and confidence now and then we can worry about that down the track.

gave myself 24 hours to calm down post game and watch a replay to make sure I wasn’t just being biased before posting this. Turns out I wasn’t.
I watched the game this afternoon. If anyone cares to go back and check they’ll hear Cummins consistently say “milking, milking” when the Broncos were trying to get up for a fast pub. He laid this charge at so many of our players throughout the game. Mysteriously, Penrith were never once accused of milking throughout the game and were given their 6 again whenever they played for it and sometimes even when they didn’t.
As for the penalty they got instead of the 6 again that marched them straight downfield out of trouble I found this totally bafffling.

I know it has been stated but the issues with our attack came down to our 9 and halves:

- turpin is showing no attacking finesse. Penrith's defensive line were shooting off the mark just as the ball started to roll backwards in the ruck, but were only doing so on the side we were attacking (giving the otherside an opportunity to rest). Turpin did not use any deception by looking one way and going the other to take advantage of this. Paix came on and immediately started making ground and opening a bit more room for our attack Because he was showing some deception. Even hetherington showed some deception and made metres.

- our halves are just dumb. Everything was premeditated and they did not respond to the game. They saw penrith were rushing us and the ref not calling them off side, but they did not adapt and get our attack deeper to accommodate and enable us to get the ball wider. In the last 5 minutes the widest we go is to second rowers, on the last play we take the ball to the line and throw an inside ball to a prop with no room to move? What were they thinking? For the past several weeks, i have not seen one cut out pass from a half to a winger. Oates and isaako had plenty of room in front of them but did not once get the ball. if they were concerned about an intercept the other option because of the rushing defence, a chip/grubber behind the defensive line as a warning to the defence. There is just no or very little footy IQ in this team.

We were lucky penrith had an off night and for some reason did not keep attacking our edges.

Who knew that a short block of concrete running around on tree trunks would make for a great winger.
Should be able to beat him in the air (if you can get field position) but even then he has a habit of spoiling the party by sneaking his hands onto the ball to knock it free at the last moment.
Mate, garden gnomes are shady as ****. Never trust the sneaky little bastards.

I know it has been stated but the issues with our attack came down to our 9 and halves:

- turpin is showing no attacking finesse. Penrith's defensive line were shooting off the mark just as the ball started to roll backwards in the ruck, but were only doing so on the side we were attacking (giving the otherside an opportunity to rest). Turpin did not use any deception by looking one way and going the other to take advantage of this. Paix came on and immediately started making ground and opening a bit more room for our attack Because he was showing some deception. Even hetherington showed some deception and made metres.

- our halves are just dumb. Everything was premeditated and they did not respond to the game. They saw penrith were rushing us and the ref not calling them off side, but they did not adapt and get our attack deeper to accommodate and enable us to get the ball wider. In the last 5 minutes the widest we go is to second rowers, on the last play we take the ball to the line and throw an inside ball to a prop with no room to move? What were they thinking? For the past several weeks, i have not seen one cut out pass from a half to a winger. Oates and isaako had plenty of room in front of them but did not once get the ball. if they were concerned about an intercept the other option because of the rushing defence, a chip/grubber behind the defensive line as a warning to the defence. There is just no or very little footy IQ in this team.

We were lucky penrith had an off night and for some reason did not keep attacking our edges.
I'll include the fullback here too. With the way the Broncos halves are positioned, you need the fullback to play like a 5/8th, and I dunno if Nui is still developing or what, but he doesn't really provide that at the moment. I mean he can throw a basic pass, but he can't seem to put someone into a hole or throw a cut out.

Flegler's first 9 minutes would have to be just about the worst 9 minutes of any frontrower the Broncos have ever had.

Appalling. If Rhys Kennedy had done the same I'd have said the same. If it was Kennedy some would say, never to be picked again. Total garbage. Lost ball, zero metres, 6 again and a head high costing ten in the bin. Right there was where the game was lost.

Flegler's first 9 minutes would have to be just about the worst 9 minutes of any frontrower the Broncos have ever had.

Appalling. If Rhys Kennedy had done the same I'd have said the same. If it was Kennedy some would say, never to be picked again. Total garbage. Lost ball, zero metres, 6 again and a head high costing ten in the bin. Right there was where the game was lost.

yet you're still a massive supporter of Isaako after that Dragons debacle.

could you just be upset he replaced your boy as a starter 🤔

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • KnToad
  • FACTHUNT
  • Fitzy
  • sooticus
  • Ondi
  • theshed
  • lynx000
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Sproj
  • Ras
  • Culhwch
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Wendall Taylor
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.