Round 19 - Broncos vs Warriors - Post Match Discussion

our attack looks like one of them crappy rugby league computer games. all players in a straight line. you can either pass left, or pass right.

Yes sir!

We are actually more deadly in attack in the opp 20 when Teo is running lines against the grain or hanging around for the short ball. Thaiday on the right with Hodgo to keep them guessing and the usual deep line to the left. I think on a fast pitch, switching between these plays in rapid fashion after a fast break seems to work best. The missing ingredient is Hoffman because he's rarely used in attack.
Overall set plays inside opp 20 after a penalty or repeat possession aren't flash but we don't have to worry if the team has the mental strength to not get frustrated after not scoring points and maintain pressure etc. We seem to be able to do that OK.
However this method of approach leaves us vulnerable to lose in the dying stages and that is something I'm not a fan of. I've always preferred to attack with a 2 point lead to seal the game with a converted try rather than defend it DRAGONS (09/10) style.

Loved the play the Warriors scored on through Vatuvei. It's a play that works really well in touch and should theoretically work better in league. It's simple but if done properly and quickly very hard to defend.

Bulldogs scored off a fairly similar play twice tonight. It works.

Problem is we can't pull off that play because Hoffman has no ball playing ability at all.

Is there no other playmakers in the side? The Warriors pulled it off through Nathan Friend!!

Sorry was thinking of another play with Locke. :scared:

Almost had a heart attack at the end. Our forwards were outstanding tonight slogging it out and getting the job done against a quality opposition and wet conditions. Our halves were pretty crap. Our only try came of a rebound from a grubber kick, Wallace bombed a try in the 2nd half and kicked to early. The backs should've done better as we didn't really threaten the Warriors defence throughout the game and were outscored 2 tries to 1 (don't blame them though considering it's difficult to get clean ball and conditions like tonight). Real gutsy performance and a really enjoyable game.

My take: a good win - the game was won because of outstanding defence, the weather, and Maloney and Mateo played absolute crap.

As many post, our halves were pretty crap and the fact we have no 2nd man plays, well, ones that work, will prove our undoing against the top sides. There are few points in this team.

Last night, we used the outside - inside short pass once. It nearly got results. Then, as even the commentators noticed, it never happened again. There is neither structure nor organization in the Broncos attack. Thank goodness the defence is coming good again.

I don't care how wonderful people think Hoffman is but he is a total liability in attack. Beale is a far, far better option at FB. After watching season 2011 highlights, I can see he knows how to work a good 2nd man play. Hoffman should play on the wing. Permanently.

Glenn seems to me to be a much better option in the centres than Reed in both attack and defense. I thought he was outstanding. I think we are much better with Glenn in the centres. Reed should be benched as a back row option.

I really feel for players like Hodges, Gillett, Glenn and T'eo. They are just not getting any quality ball from set plays in short passing plays, or out wide. There is no depth. Zilch.

When you watch season 2011, you can see how the team just automatically organised around Lockyer. Norman is soooooo far away in organizing plays it ain't funny. He does some great things, sporadically, but he is no organizer, and assuming he is still developing, IMO he's seasons away from being what we need at 2nd receiver ( which is an organizer).

Wallace is a complete mystery. He is so hot and cold I can't figure him out at all.

I still can't understand why Macca is not on for 80 minutes. I thought he played a great game. All the top rakes are on for 80 minutes. Why is he being benched?

I still can't understand why Macca is not on for 80 minutes. I thought he played a great game. All the top rakes are on for 80 minutes. Why is he being benched?

Macca looked pretty buggered when he came off. To be fair Hunt was quite good when he came on.

While I agree that Beale is a better attacking option I'm also glad he wasn't our fullback last night. Hoffman was outstanding fielding those kicks. The coaching staff need to work something out to get Beale into the attack from fullback though.

1. Norman
2/5. Hoff
6. Hunt
7. Wallace
9. Macca
14. Baptiste

Or Beale to fb, Hoff needs to get out of there. I'd suggest giving Reed a try there but he's obviously injured.

Agree with those singling out Hodges defence.Its his lazy arm attempt when he gets stepped or beaten on the outside.Its a habit that he needs to remedy cos this is his only weakness.Surely someone should've pointed this out to him long ago or is ti too ingrained for him not to do it.

I was amazed at how much support the Warriors had last night, it would have felt like a home game for them.

1. Norman
2/5. Hoff
6. Hunt
7. Wallace
9. Macca
14. Baptiste

Or Beale to fb, Hoff needs to get out of there. I'd suggest giving Reed a try there but he's obviously injured.

Old mate seriously I think you are off your head for even suggesting Reed go to fullback. He is far too slow for that position. :biggrin:

I was amazed at how much support the Warriors had last night, it would have felt like a home game for them.

It just shows that Australia lets too many kiwis in and lets them get welfare too easily.

It was a very good game considering the wet conditions and surprised there werent more dropped ball.That last play was epic and a fitting end to an entertaining game.I know the Beast is known for his fumbling but the one thing I've noticed is once he makes one or two catches,he aint going to drop them after that so best bomb the other wing.Manu is a confidence player,when he catches hes golden but when he fumbles its terrible.

Go down the GC or Logan. Without trying to upset the admins, I'll just leave it at saying it's a problem that's going to hurt Australia in decades to come.

Active Now

• Alec
  • Maroon4life
  • thenry
  • mrslong
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Bucking Beads
  • Kev_Guz
  • Cavalo
  • Fitzy
  • Behold
  • mrtij
  • Jazza
  • Nerd
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Fatboy
  • Bronco bob
  • broncs30
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.