Round 19 - Broncos vs Warriors - Pre-Match Discussion

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
vertigo - To explain why we can't control the ruck.

Then get Griffin to have a chat with the refs, no coincidence whenever Toovey goes apeshit they go soft on Manly.

I've never seen him go off ever so we deserve what we get.

Last edited:
N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Then get Griffin to have a chat with the refs, no coincidence whenever Toovey goes ape**** they go soft on Manly.

I've never seen him go off ever so we deserve what we get.
rest assured that like every coach in the game Hook is in contact with Archer during the season.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
from my limited vision of nrl the past 2 months, the warriors look very good since their change in coach.

they look disciplined, structured, aggressive.

i have a bad feeling about this game based on our efforts last night.

I agree with a lot of this, however, the Warriors can be really sloppy in defence around the edges, and wasn't it Barba who showed us what Tomkins (and Barba himself) can be like last game against them?

At the same time, our defensive line can be slow and that is exactly what the Warriors exploit with their speed and quick ball movement.

We either aim up 100% for the whole 80 mins with an unbroken defensive line and good line speed or we lose, and as always, for mine, we have the team to win this, as long as that is what the team wants - to win, and not just go through the motions like last week.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Just once could it have been what we wanted? Why is it only in the last 10 minutes or last 2 rounds that the necessary changes are made?

thats not possible, since i usually see about 15 different teams named on this forum every week.

besides as Big Pete said, unless there is an injury guaranteed to keep a player out, the teams from Monday usually just use the same team list until they have had a chance to review the game

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
1. Get numbers on the left when the Warriors attack that side.
2. Kick the ball to the corner or over the sideline and provide a strong kick chase.
3. Do not rush Johnson on 5th tackle.
4. Just put up high bombs for Vatuvei and have a player waiting around for a dropped ball. He is bound to drop a couple.

If Broncos can follow those 4 steps, it would go a long way towards winning.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
1. Get numbers on the left when the Warriors attack that side.
2. Kick the ball to the corner or over the sideline and provide a strong kick chase.
3. Do not rush Johnson on 5th tackle.
4. Just put up high bombs for Vatuvei and have a player waiting around for a dropped ball. He is bound to drop a couple.

If Broncos can follow those 4 steps, it would go a long way towards winning.

Disagree on the first. Tomkins is, IMO, a weak ball returner. It's one of his weakest points in his game. I'd just kick it straight to him and make sure we have numbers in the chase to hold him up and then push him back.

It's something that Voss has been making quite a lot of comments on of late too. The Warriors have this new defensive style of holding a player up in his momentum and then getting a number of players (normally 3+) driving back in the tackle to attack in defence. If players like Parker and Gillett are able to offload like in Origin, we can use this to our advantage. Even more so if a player like Barba actually bothers to follow in support.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Despite the disappointment of last night, I wouldn't be surprised if we beat them at home.

Depends which Warriors show up.

If it's the shitty disorganised rabble Warriors, then we're in with a show.

If they're playing red hot.....gulp!

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Molo was very strong on Sunday against Easts, that's a hard pack to come up against and he did well.

Good news on Molo. Sounds like he may be finally getting close to being ready for the NRL.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Depends which Warriors show up.

If it's the shitty disorganised rabble Warriors, then we're in with a show.

If they're playing red hot.....gulp!

We never seem to get the shitty disorganised rabble Warriors, so it will be the red hot Warriors.

If we start now before the Warriors arrive at Suncorp on Saturday, we have a chance of winning.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
We never seem to get the shitty disorganised rabble Warriors,

Oh ...I dunno. Was it the 2011 semi against them that Manu "dropavei" had one of the more hysterically awful nights of his career?

We got over them with ease that night.

Last edited:
Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
The Warriors will be super competitive no doubt so hoping for a bad Warriors side is not going to happen. We've lost three straight, can't beat the wooden spooners and only have one playmaker, there's no reason for confidence. Real changes must be made to the makeup of the team.

Firstly, were I in charge I'd return my two leading tryscorers to the place they were most productive . Hoffman ( 15 in 24 games ) back to full back and Oates (8 from 9 games ) back to the wing. I know, I know nobody will agree but it's my choice I'm talking about here. I don't give a shit that convention dictates Oates should be in the forwards, he was scoring tries last year like Sailor or Tuquiri of old and wasn't missing tackles like the other night. The workloads too great at the moment for a 19 year old kid.

Secondly, I would consider Hodges as a 5/8 although it's not ideal. Maranta definitely back in the team although wing would be a headache to solve with Oates back out there. I might even experiment with Kennedy ( at prop of course )but only if I could sit down with him and get in his head( might need a night on the piss for that to work). I'd absolutely tell Hannant to stop the sideways shit that creeps in now and again, it's shitting me. Hard,straight and for as long as he can. I'd even think about McGuire playing second row to start. We need to start with authority in the forwards,gain ascendency or at least parity. I'll have to get out and watch Nicholls this weekend if he's playing locally but if he can play a classic 5/8 role then I might gamble on him,either starting or off the bench.

i just know changes must be made and like everyone on here, I'm disappointed and somewhat ashamed of what we have become since WB left.

Last edited:
Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
The Warriors will be super competitive no doubt so hoping for a bad Warriors side is not going to happen.

They are historically, an unpredictable side.

It can and does happen.

B

Buzz Killington

NYC Player
Jul 6, 2013
1. Hoffman
2. Vidot
3. Copley
4. Hodges
5. Oates
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Granville
15. Hala
16. Wallace
17. Lowrie

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The Warriors will be super competitive no doubt so hoping for a bad Warriors side is not going to happen. We've lost three straight, can't beat the wooden spooners and only have one playmaker, there's no reason for confidence. Real changes must be made to the makeup of the team.

Firstly, were I in charge I'd return my two leading tryscorers to the place they were most productive . Hoffman ( 15 in 24 games ) back to full back and Oates (8 from 9 games ) back to the wing. I know, I know nobody will agree but it's my choice I'm talking about here. I don't give a shit that convention dictates Oates should be in the forwards, he was scoring tries last year like Sailor or Tuquiri of old and wasn't missing tackles like the other night. The workloads too great at the moment for a 19 year old kid.

Secondly, I would consider Hodges as a 5/8 although it's not ideal. Maranta definitely back in the team although wing would be a headache to solve with Oates back out there. I might even experiment with Kennedy ( at prop of course )but only if I could sit down with him and get in his head( might need a night on the piss for that to work). I'd absolutely tell Hannant to stop the sideways shit that creeps in now and again, it's shitting me. Hard,straight and for as long as he can. I'd even think about McGuire playing second row to start. We need to start with authority in the forwards,gain ascendency or at least parity. I'll have to get out and watch Nicholls this weekend if he's playing locally but if he can play a classic 5/8 role then I might gamble on him,either starting or off the bench.

i just know changes must be made and like everyone on here, I'm disappointed and somewhat ashamed of what we have become since WB left.

you do realise that the majority of Hoffmans trys last year came while he was playing on the WING not fullback. so if you want to move him to where they were the most productive your moving him to the wrong place by playing him at fullback, as his most productive place (and IMO only productive place) is WING

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Warriors have scored an average of 22.88 points. We can't afford to let them play well.

However, whenever they have put 40+ points on a team, they lose the following week. They tend to lose the next week after playing red hot.

They put 42 points on the Tigers, lost to the Sharks. They put 54 points on the Raiders, lost to the Bulldogs. While they only scored 38 against Knights, they lost the following week against Souths.

They have a pattern, hopefully they continue that.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
They are historically, an unpredictable side.

It can and does happen.

Not under McFadden though. They've won 7 of 9 under him. Their 2 losses were by 4 points to the Dogs and a 34-18 loss where the scoreline was blown out by 3 late Rabbitohs tries. They actually led 14-6 at the 55min mark, and the fact they had to travel from NZ to Perth may have played a factor in the late capitulation.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Disagree on the first. Tomkins is, IMO, a weak ball returner. It's one of his weakest points in his game. I'd just kick it straight to him and make sure we have numbers in the chase to hold him up and then push him back.

It's something that Voss has been making quite a lot of comments on of late too. The Warriors have this new defensive style of holding a player up in his momentum and then getting a number of players (normally 3+) driving back in the tackle to attack in defence. If players like Parker and Gillett are able to offload like in Origin, we can use this to our advantage. Even more so if a player like Barba actually bothers to follow in support.

If you're going to kick down someone's throat no matter who, I reckon you do it deep into the corners, never in the middle. I think a simple a geometry of available space applies here. For a start, there are more options in the middle, and it's easier to box someone into the corner with a good kick chase.

One absolute key to beating the Warriors is to lock the ball up and stop the offloads.

Then, there's Hurrell ...

This is going to be one hard game to win with the Warriors in their current form

Last edited:

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Brocko
  • Santa
  • porouian
  • Johnny92
  • Manofoneway
  • GCBRONCO
  • Footy Fanatic
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.