Round 19 - Broncos vs Warriors - Pre-Match Discussion

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
I hope broncos win, bragging rights in my household would be great.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Here's a mix up I'd like to see for Saturday:

19. Maranta
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Copley
1. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Mcguire
9. McCullough
10. Parker
11. Glenn
12. Oates
13. Thaiday

6. Hoffman
14. Hannant
15. Hala/20. Kennedy
16. Lowrie

Hoffman used to play lock at junior level and his defence is good enough and he runs hard enough to play in the back row, he can also cover for injury from 1-5 (and 6 at a pinch). Maranta is solid under the high ball and can always switch with Hodges in the attacking zone. Time to bring Kennedy back, if not Hala.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Here's a mix up I'd like to see for Saturday:

19. Maranta
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Copley
1. Barba
7. Hunt
8. Mcguire
9. McCullough
10. Parker
11. Glenn
12. Oates
13. Thaiday

6. Hoffman
14. Hannant
15. Hala/20. Kennedy
16. Lowrie

Hoffman used to play lock at junior level and his defence is good enough and he runs hard enough to play in the back row, he can also cover for injury from 1-5 (and 6 at a pinch). Maranta is solid under the high ball and can always switch with Hodges in the attacking zone. Time to bring Kennedy back, if not Hala.
Dig Maranta at 1 and Barba at 6, also dig Hoffman on the bench because of Griffins "don't use the entire bench" thing. It'll be the most positive thing Hoffmam has done all year.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I didn't see last game, only heard the call from about 60:00 to 75:00. Was it true that Hoffman & Barba switched? If so, and Hook starts the game as named (Hoff 6), then it will indicate to me that Hook has chosen to persevere out of stubbornness, at the expense of what it best for the team. Like, for him to swap them is to admit that he was wrong from the start, and he doesn't want to be wrong.

Look at a club like the Dragons. Williams, Quinlan, Dugan, they've all been shifted around and experimented with. They started well, faded, then up & down, just like us. The fact that they needed a new coach, and to mix up the team, to get results should have Griffin on his toes. Or is that the problem? He thinks that changing the side is a form of panic, and doesn't want to let on that he's fazed. Or worse, he truly thinks that our 1 and 6 are being used to their potential. I don't know. As fans we can't truly know. But if the Barba - Hoffman switch worked for half a game, fucking give it a shot for 80 fucking minutes!

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I just moseyed on over to Sportingbet. Broncos are favourites?!?!?!?!?!

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Sportingbet are putting way too much stock into tomkins being out

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
IMO this game will come down to offloads. If the Warriors can get effective, clean second-phase, we're toast. It's been their main weapon against us, their style of it really ****s up our defence, and we leak points like a perforated condom.

Conversely, if Parker can get some away, and have Barba sniffing around or even Hunt passing to a flying Hoffman, we can really tire their forwards out.

Warriors know it kills us. They'll start throwing it around in the last 15 of each half. We can't stop it, but our best bet is to spoil them - have our players ready to pounce for a turnover, or give them a false indication of an offload being achievable and be ready so slap their arms for knock-ons. If they stuff a few up they'll stop doing it and our defence will be much better off for it.

I agree totally about the offloads. At the same time, that is no different, or applies equally to the other top teams who offload well, like Dogs and Manly, same for 2nd phase plays.

Thing is with the Warriors is their speed around the rucks with Johnson etc that when they are on song, they execute their plays so quickly it breaks almost any line which is slow moving and broken, leaving gaps for Johnson etc to exploit.

There are 2 answers to this, to beat the Warriors. One is both to lock up the ball carrier and put them quickly on their arse and have cover waiting for potential receivers of the offload/pass

Second is, obviously, we have to outscore them, point for point, and that is where the Barba-Hoffman axis plays such an important role. We seriously need Barba to be at his best for this game, as well as our defensive line speed and no missed tackles or, as you correctly say, we are toast.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I agree totally about the offloads. At the same time, that is no different, or applies equally to the other top teams who offload well, like Dogs and Manly, same for 2nd phase plays.

Thing is with the Warriors is their speed around the rucks with Johnson etc that when they are on song, they execute their plays so quickly it breaks almost any line which is slow moving and broken, leaving gaps for Johnson etc to exploit.

There are 2 answers to this, to beat the Warriors. One is both to lock up the ball carrier and put them quickly on their arse and have cover waiting for potential receivers of the offload/pass

Second is, obviously, we have to outscore them, point for point, and that is where the Barba-Hoffman axis plays such an important role. We seriously need Barba to be at his best for this game, as well as our defensive line speed and no missed tackles or, as you correctly say, we are toast.

Might even be simpler. Respect the ball. Starve them of possession and they'll tire, fast. Give them the ball and we're shot. Conservative will work against the Warriors IMO. Simply having the ball, gaining field position, building pressure, they're only ever good at defending when they have all the ball.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Feel like we could be in for another thrashing here.

Warriors are hot, we are just paper thin in defence at the moment.

Other than Parker and Hunt, the rest aren't really putting in.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Might even be simpler. Respect the ball. Starve them of possession and they'll tire, fast. Give them the ball and we're shot. Conservative will work against the Warriors IMO. Simply having the ball, gaining field position, building pressure, they're only ever good at defending when they have all the ball.

And don't shatter like glass if we get away to a 12 point lead and they score a flukey try against the run of play before half time.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
If Tomkins plays, I really hope the Broncos forwards will target his hip heavily. Just put a shoulder in as hard as they can.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
If Tomkins plays, I really hope the Broncos forwards will target his hip heavily. Just put a shoulder in as hard as they can.

That is so so cruel!

Great advice though.

FaceOfMutiny

FaceOfMutiny

QCup Player
Nov 7, 2013
This game is going to be the game where both Fullbacks just get completely smashed in defence. Or at least will if Broncos chase their kicks instead of skipping up slowly in a line holding out their arms looking for a cuddle.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Perfect game for us to unleash our new attitude in defence ...... straight line up in their face all night, cutting down their ability to throw the ball around and play touch footy.

We can only hope.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Rambstien
  • rj9
  • bb_gun
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Bish
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • thenry
  • kiwibronco
  • Mustafur
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • marw
  • Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.