Round 19 Discussion

Then doesn't error fall back on the referees? Especially the linesman. What do they do these days? I mean, if it doesn't take 5 seconds, then the ref could have been told by the bunker in the short time before awarding it. No, I think the video ref is overused and just shifts the blame to nameless and faceless morons and has caused as many howlers as it was proposed to save. At some point in time the NRL has to realise that the standard of refereeing on the field is not good enough. Sorry, Pete, but the video ref can have its moments, but realistically there are problems at ground level and they also need to be improved. I mean, we had the video ref on a captain's challenge somehow be won, but still go against us the other week because they were confused, we have had a Billy Slater drop-kick try, Jamie Lyon torso try, Isaako send off against Knights, DCE dive and some other pretty ridiculous calls go against us, and that isn't mentioning the clangers the video ref makes against other teams in the NRL. More video ref just slows the game down, get the reffing on the field to improve and they won't have to use it as much.

Its quite simple though. The guys on the field are the same ones in the box, so incompetence is at all levels.

Its quite simple though. The guys on the field are the same ones in the box, so incompetence is at all levels.
They are sometimes, and other times not. I just wonder all the time what the heck the linesmen do? They literally send everything upstairs regardless. They don't call offsides. They barely call forward passes or ruck infringements. All they seem to do is stick the flags up for a goal kick. They are terrible and have been for a long time.

Then doesn't error fall back on the referees? Especially the linesman. What do they do these days? I mean, if it doesn't take 5 seconds, then the ref could have been told by the bunker in the short time before awarding it. No, I think the video ref is overused and just shifts the blame to nameless and faceless morons and has caused as many howlers as it was proposed to save. At some point in time the NRL has to realise that the standard of refereeing on the field is not good enough. Sorry, Pete, but the video ref can have its moments, but realistically there are problems at ground level and they also need to be improved. I mean, we had the video ref on a captain's challenge somehow be won, but still go against us the other week because they were confused, we have had a Billy Slater drop-kick try, Jamie Lyon torso try, Isaako send off against Knights (could have been called back by video ref), DCE dive and some other pretty ridiculous calls go against us, and that isn't mentioning the clangers the video ref makes against other teams in the NRL. More video ref just slows the game down, get the reffing on the field to improve and they won't have to use it as much.

Except it's extremely useful to determine whether it's a goal line drop-out or a 20m restart and it doesn't detract from the experience at all. Again, it's easily improved the overall quality of decision making and I don't have an issue with them employing it like they do in the NFL where they check everything just in case.

Keen to see how Tyson Gamble measures up tomorrow at 5/8. He's built like a backrower. I think SOS knows his fate at the club is coming to an end after this move.

Last edited:
I’m telling you I want him back to be fullback next year, he’s a massive talent.

Really?

Not really sure why there's hype about him. He's shown **** all really.

Hmmm.
Now if i was conspiratorially minded, i might even entertain the idea that Wayne told his Souths boys to lose this one.
Sink the Broncos as low as possible before returning as their savior.

Of course thats just flights of fancy, but it makes for a good paranoid story.

Give up a chance for a top 4 spot out of spite?

Nah.

Bennett's bunnies have now lost to the 2 worst clubs this season. and scraped home against the 3rd worst club (Cowboys) after conceding 30 points

Bennett's bunnies have now lost to the 2 worst clubs this season. and scraped home against the 3rd worst club (Cowboys) after conceding 30 points
Haha is this how you’re attempting to spin that it was a good idea to get rid of him?

Except it's extremely useful to determine whether it's a goal line drop-out or a 20m restart and it doesn't detract from the experience at all. Again, it's easily improved the overall quality of decision making and I don't have an issue with them employing it like they do in the NFL where they check everything just in case.
I'll give you the restarts! But for me it detracts a lot. It takes time and makes me want KFC. Also when the ref is right next to the position and there are 2 touch judges and there was even a second ref they send it up. Then they look at it for 2 or so minutes. They don't have it in the lower leagues and it works fine. It's only due to betting agencies that they even make the pretense of checking.
The video ref has basically underlined the observation that there will always be error in the sport. Why not save time and have the ref take back some responsibility?

it doesn't need spin
the decision to move on from Bennett was the right call
the decision on his replacement was the wrong call
I mean, it obviously wasn’t the right call based on literally all of the evidence. Seemed like the better option was the to move on to a new board. We were going backwards slowly whilst introducing some superstar youngsters to the team. They would have eventually improved and we certainly wouldn’t be where we are now.

To be fair, we were probably the best team in the comp when we first played the Rabbitohs.

It’s amazing what happens when the players suck it up and buy into the game plan.

I mean, it obviously wasn’t the right call based on literally all of the evidence. Seemed like the better option was the to move on to a new board. We were going backwards slowly whilst introducing some superstar youngsters to the team. They would have eventually improved and we certainly wouldn’t be where we are now.

That literally cannot legitimately be argued what you have written here.

To be fair, we were probably the best team in the comp when we first played the Rabbitohs.

It’s amazing what happens when the players suck it up and buy into the game plan.
What was that game plan exactly? Pass it to Fifita?

Unread

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.