PRE-GAME Round 19 - Knights vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
NRL.com journalist.

Yeah I know he can't, but just think it is weird that he would be training there if he couldn't play.

Dont know about today, but I know for a fact he was training on the wing earlier in the week. I wasnt surprised he wasnt named as he isnt fit enough yet ( as i mentioned earlier ). Hopefully Issako will do the business.

Anthony Milford eyes return for Broncos against Knights

ANTHONY Milford could make a shock return against the Knights on Saturday night after the Queensland Origin ace told Broncos medicos: “I’m ready to play.”

Broncos coach Wayne Bennett is taking a cautious approach with Milford and will make a final call on his injured shoulder at the captain’s run at Red Hill on Friday.

But Milford is keen to launch his comeback in Newcastle, with the star pivot on Wednesday ramping up his recovery at training after running plays with Brisbane’s second-string Renegades squad.

Milford dislocated his shoulder against the Rabbitohs in Round 14 and Bennett was initially planning for the classy five-eighth to return against Canterbury next Thursday night.

But the Maroons whiz has told Broncos doctors he is ready to play this week as Bennett prepares to roll the dice with an injury that could make or break Brisbane’s premiership hopes.

Milford requires surgery on his damaged shoulder but Bennett is hoping strapping and intensive rehabilitation can keep his most important attacking player on the park for the rest of the season.

It is understood Milford’s injury is not as serious as the shoulder setback that has ended Johnathan Thurston’s season with the Cowboys.

Bennett has named Milford in an extended squad in jumper No. 21 and hooker Andrew McCullough dismissed suggestions the Broncos would be taking a major risk by playing him against the last-placed Knights.

“Milf was running well,” McCullough said.

“I’m not too sure how the shoulder is holding up ... he doesn’t use them too often anyway, so he might be all right to go.
“I don’t know if it would be silly to bring him back.

“Two competition points for any game is important, so if Milf is right to go, he’s right to go.”

The fifth-placed Broncos could drop to seventh if beaten by the Knights and McCullough said it was crucial Brisbane hit back after their 42-12 flogging by the Storm.

“You can’t leak too many points in a game and that (loss to Melbourne) was a reality check for us on things we need to work on,” McCullough said.

“There’s not a lot wrong but just a few things we need to tidy up that we need to get right in the last two months of the competition.

“It’s always a hard thing to avoid complacency against the teams at the bottom of the ladder, but the team performance hasn’t been up to standard the last couple of weeks.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/f223d41e4b136adeac0bac4a7b1d7f05

Macca says he doesn’t use them too often anyway..

I watched 4 minutes of Facebook live footage of the Qld dressing sheds and Bhunt smashed two gold cans... probably best to rest our origin players

Gillett needs to be rested. Hunt can go without. McGuire, I'm not sure about. I swear he never seems to drop his intensity. Feels like he should be in a Duracell ad.

McGuire has been like that since his Broncos debut. Don't think I've ever seen him have a bad game.

McGuire has been like that since his Broncos debut. Don't think I've ever seen him have a bad game.

His best games have been when he's played 80.

Tomorrow Anthony Milford gets a chance to prove he is ready to return to the field - yesterday he gave us an update on his shoulder injury.
Milford dislocated his shoulder playing against the Roosters in early June, and is getting near the six-week time frame for the injury.
He said he was pleased with the progress despite having to put up with the long recovery.
"The shoulder is coming along really well and is ahead of schedule," he said.
"I had my first real contact session today, so we will re-assess during the week and see how we go.
"I do get frustrated.
"You get bored sitting around watching the boys run around.
"So it is good to be back training with the boys again and being part of it."
A decision on whether Milford will play against the Knights in Newcastle on Saturday will be made at training tomorrow morning.
If he doesn't play this week, the star half will be an almost certain starter against the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium next Thursday when the Broncos begin their post-Origin run to the final
http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/07/13/injury_update_anthon.html

Wasn't his injury against the Rabbits?

There is talk that Isaako may drop out of the 17.

Broncos debutant 'too good' for reserve grade

When your peers think you are too good for reserve grade before you have even played an NRL match it is always a good sign that you are held in very high regard at your club.

This is the reality for the Brisbane Broncos' latest debutant Jamayne Isaako who will start on the wing against the Newcastle Knights on Saturday night.

The 21-year-old has earned his opportunity through impressive form in the Intrust Super Cup playing for the Souths Logan Magpies and he is a handy player for coach Wayne Bennett to be able to call on as Brisbane suffer a backline shortage.

The Broncos are missing David Mead (knee), Darius Boyd (thumb), Corey Oates (illness) and Anthony Milford (shoulder) all to injury, but it presents a well-earned chance for Isaako to make his mark in first grade.

The 2014 NYC Players' Player of the Year at the Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks, Isaako is a versatile back that can fill any jersey from No.1 to No.5.

Brisbane prop Joe Ofahengaue has spent parts of this season in the Intrust Super Cup playing with Isaako and he believes the young speedster's opportunity is a just reward for his 2017 form.

"I reckon he was ready [for NRL] eight rounds ago," Ofahengaue said.

"He's an awesome player and I know what he can do on the field because I've played Queensland Cup with him. I'm wishing him all the best.

"Jamayne is just him. He's got a good running ability and a good pass.

"I think on Saturday night he will just get the ball and run. That'll be his job to do and he will do it.

"I reckon he is [too good for Intrust Super Cup]. He's a really good fullback and I know he will do his job debuting on the wing."

For hooker Andrew McCullough the thing that has stood out the most about Isaako is his attitude during training.

McCullough, a veteran of 211 NRL games, has seen his fair share of young backs come through the club over the years, but he says Isaako is one of the best.

"At training he's always enthusiastic," McCullough said.

"He puts himself out in front at training to let himself be known to Wayne and that he can do his bit. That's what you want from the young guys.

"He's been doing a great job in Queensland Cup. Wayne and Pete Nolan (chief recruiter) go out to watch the football out there regularly so they know the guys who are ready to play first grade."

http://www.nrl.com/broncos-debutant...-grade/tabid/10874/newsid/109895/default.aspx

The last player too good for qcup was Greg Inglis. Hopefully isaako can follow the same path.

Not sure, perhaps Seve.

The fact that Opacic was training on the wing during the week, it could mean Broncos got an exemption from the NRL to let them bring him in. But I doubt that. They wouldn't let Copley play with the Titans when he first joined despite the Titans being desperate.

Or perhaps Kahu will go back to the wing and Marshall to fullback and Milford to 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• JayTeeM
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • Tim K
  • BroncoFan94
  • FACTHUNT
  • Strop
  • Confidor
  • Hoof Hearted
  • PETERN
  • johnyE
  • Jazza
  • broncoscope
  • Bongo
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • YeahNahMate
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BRC088
  • Stix
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.