PRE-GAME Round 19 - Knights vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoops, forgot about the bye. Id still include a big minutes player on the bench. Offa is looking more like a starting prop for me. Sims needs to elevate his game and put more consistent performances. Its like he has dropped his bundle after missing origin. I hope thaiday offers more against Newcastle than he did against the storm otherwise I can't see too more games for him after that if any. Its a shame as at his best, he can lift the side the way tallis or webke used to, with his runs.

Thaiday should be that guy. Webke in his final years was as good as ever, Petro the same. Those guys always turned up. Thaiday has let himself go, he is fat, tired and his performances have been shameful. If getting dropped from origin doesn't give you a rocket, nothing will.

We played ordinary against the storm. I think some of the senior player will be expected to be looking for redemption. I hate to say it but thaiday is just about getting to the stage of being dropped. Id expect our future lock to be picked this week, barring a miraculous recovery from Maguire. In any case, I'd expect a big minutes forward on the bench for cover (arrow?) and train in that role. Our backs will need a shake up. Atleast, a warning has to be sent to our left side about improving our slide defence (note, not just moga! but certainly him too). Finally we need some self belief in what we do. That means being confident in trusting each other, either in defence, or attack. A good win do wonders but I'd rather see us shut out our opponents defensively. Our defence has been our Achilles heel this year, when we've lost key backs for whatever reason. Something needs to change there. Maybe, increased drilling, although I think its more a mental thing.

Was Moga reported for the shoulder bump with Billy ? Didn`t look malicious to me .

Was Moga reported for the shoulder bump with Billy ? Didn`t look malicious to me .

I dont think he has. He actually did a worse one later in the game that didnt even get pulled up.

Thaiday should be that guy. Webke in his final years was as good as ever, Petro the same. Those guys always turned up. Thaiday has let himself go, he is fat, tired and his performances have been shameful. If getting dropped from origin doesn't give you a rocket, nothing will.

Sammy had some good impact and was very good early in the season, but lately he just looks like he has nothing left. Its odd to see him just look like he is going through the motions.

It would be a sad day if thaiday got dropped. He has been a great servant for every team he has played for. I think on that alone, he deserves a chance at redemption against the knights, but it should be put in exactly those terms to him. If and when he goes I would like to see him stick with the club in some capacity, as believe he still has something to offer as a mentor to younger players. I don't for a minute think for a minute think he wasn't trying against the storm. It just looked like the tank was empty and the physicality that came so easily in the past has been lost with age. We all slow down as we age. For some it takes longer than others but time takes it toll on all. Bennet himself, said Sam didn't have 80 minutes left in him anymore and Friday required it.

^^ Nope, disagree completely. It's been obvious for a long while that Sam's passion for the jersey (and for footy at large) has been on the wane for some time and it really came to a head against the Storm. I legit believe that if Thaiday went off instead of McGuire and we were down a player on the bench for the rest of the game, unlike McG we would never have noticed he was gone. That is just not good enough for a first grade player, especially one as experienced as Sam, and as much as I love him as a bloke, Friday night proved to everyone that it's time for Sammy to look in the mirror and ask himself if his heart is still in it. The likes of Martin Kennedy and David Hala, despite being greenhorns by and large were sent packing for a lot less.

Newcastle wont roll over. They have been pretty competitive this year especially at home.

...........and probably fired up after their flogging on the weekend.

I just want us to be committed, switched on and ready to play................... not the crap defense and handling we saw Friday night.

Understand, when making a decision about dropping someone means and does. To drop a young rising star says two things: they have not met the expectations of the role they play but also their position and career in the team is under threat. They then have the opportunity to improve their skills/athleticism to meet the demands of the role, train for another role, or move onwards to a new club.
Dropping an older established player says the same things but in a different context. They must accept an enforced retirement from the NRL. The players theoretically can train for re-instatement, but theory and practice are two different things. No matter how hard they train, their future is arbitrary to the coach's needs. Their salary cap cost excludes other options.
Think for a moment how this affects the player and the teammates. Someone, who once was a part of the furniture, possibly a leader now is isolated. The team loses their influence. Some who looked up to them lose their mentor. If they are forced to retire, they will possibly be embittered by the perceived injustice. Some in the team might agree, others not. A fracture to team harmony occurs. These things are sometimes necessary but should never be done lightly.
Dropping a player is never just dropping a player.

Really hope the Knights win their next game, because if they're still on a streak of losses you just don't know they'll break it against us. If they win, they can't win two in a row.

There needs to be a thread named "Sam Thaiday has put the cue in the lamb rack"
Thaiday seems to play in fits and spurts. Like when he beat Milford to the ball and scored on momentum. Other times there's nothing doing, don't notice him out there. I think his motivation comes and goes. Instead of being a comedian, maybe someone needs to piss him off, make him angry, might fire him up.

Danger game y'all

Thaiday seems to play in fits and spurts. Like when he beat Milford to the ball and scored on momentum. Other times there's nothing doing, don't notice him out there. I think his motivation comes and goes. Instead of being a comedian, maybe someone needs to piss him off, make him angry, might fire him up.

Wasn't that round 1 where he out ran Milford? Longg time ago

He isn't even third man in anymore. He is just lazy. No motivation.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k=62842eb7a2e4cfd155e9b2ac3703fe2d-1499079336

BRONCOS star Corey Oates has been rocked by a serious infection that has left him hospitalised and cruelled any chance of a State of Origin recall.
Oates has been in a Brisbane hospital since last Friday to be treated for a staph infection, which left the towering winger in excruciating pain.
The 22-year-old missed his final opportunity to impress Maroons selectors for a spot in the Origin decider and is not expected to be released for several days.
Oates last year went through a heart scare and had to be cleared by a cardiologist to make his Origin debut.
Broncos CEO Paul White visited Oates in hospital on Monday and said his condition had improved.
“He’s got a staph infection and is on antibiotics,” he said.
“He will stay in as long as they require.
“When I visited him he was in good spirits.
They know there is an infection and they can now treat it.
“They will continue to monitor him. Hopefully he responds well and we will take it day-by-day.”
Oates reported significant pain in his lower back, hips and legs to Broncos medical staff before training last Thursday and sat out the session.
He was admitted to hospital the following day and missed Brisbane’s clash against the Storm at Suncorp Stadium.
With Queensland losing Broncos skipper Darius Boyd (broken thumb) for next Wednesday’s decider, Oates was in the frame for a recall after being dropped for Game Two.
But he did not get the chance to press his claims and is now fighting to return for the Broncos in Saturday week’s clash against Newcastle.
“He requires plenty of rest at the moment,” White said.
“They have got on top of the pain and those issues he was experiencing on Thursday.
“He’s still got a fair bit of recovery in front of him but they know what they are dealing with.
“It’s way too early to make those decisions (on when he will play). The doctors will make those decisions and we will always take the utmost caution and care.
“The priority is to get him well. Once he is well then we can look forward to when he can play again.
“My immediate concerns and that of the club is that he responds well to the treatment and we can take it from there.”
Oates underwent nine operations before he was 21 for a range of injuries but has managed 89 NRL games for the Broncos.
He played all three games of last year’s Origin series but was dropped after scoring Queensland’s only try in Game One this year in a decision which was criticised by Broncos coach Wayne Bennett.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...k=62842eb7a2e4cfd155e9b2ac3703fe2d-1499079336

BRONCOS star Corey Oates has been rocked by a serious infection that has left him hospitalised and cruelled any chance of a State of Origin recall.
Oates has been in a Brisbane hospital since last Friday to be treated for a staph infection, which left the towering winger in excruciating pain.
The 22-year-old missed his final opportunity to impress Maroons selectors for a spot in the Origin decider and is not expected to be released for several days.
Oates last year went through a heart scare and had to be cleared by a cardiologist to make his Origin debut.
Broncos CEO Paul White visited Oates in hospital on Monday and said his condition had improved.
“He’s got a staph infection and is on antibiotics,” he said.
“He will stay in as long as they require.
“When I visited him he was in good spirits.
They know there is an infection and they can now treat it.
“They will continue to monitor him. Hopefully he responds well and we will take it day-by-day.”
Oates reported significant pain in his lower back, hips and legs to Broncos medical staff before training last Thursday and sat out the session.
He was admitted to hospital the following day and missed Brisbane’s clash against the Storm at Suncorp Stadium.
With Queensland losing Broncos skipper Darius Boyd (broken thumb) for next Wednesday’s decider, Oates was in the frame for a recall after being dropped for Game Two.
But he did not get the chance to press his claims and is now fighting to return for the Broncos in Saturday week’s clash against Newcastle.
“He requires plenty of rest at the moment,” White said.
“They have got on top of the pain and those issues he was experiencing on Thursday.
“He’s still got a fair bit of recovery in front of him but they know what they are dealing with.
“It’s way too early to make those decisions (on when he will play). The doctors will make those decisions and we will always take the utmost caution and care.
“The priority is to get him well. Once he is well then we can look forward to when he can play again.
“My immediate concerns and that of the club is that he responds well to the treatment and we can take it from there.”
Oates underwent nine operations before he was 21 for a range of injuries but has managed 89 NRL games for the Broncos.
He played all three games of last year’s Origin series but was dropped after scoring Queensland’s only try in Game One this year in a decision which was criticised by Broncos coach Wayne Bennett.
Wonder if he contracted it from a hospital in the first place. Poor bugger. Hope the treatment works. That's nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • azza.79
  • Allo
  • JayTeeM
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • Tim K
  • BroncoFan94
  • FACTHUNT
  • Strop
  • Confidor
  • Hoof Hearted
  • PETERN
  • johnyE
  • Jazza
  • broncoscope
  • Bongo
  • bb_gun
  • YeahNahMate
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.