PRE-GAME Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
I'd bring in Shibasaki for next game, assuming he's fit and plays decent for the Devils this weekend. I wasn't impressed at all by Staggs, he can't pass left to right and he was making some really poor positioning mistakes, in attack and defense.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Shibasaki
4. Bird
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. Ofahengaue
9. McCullough
10. Pangai Jr
11. Glenn
12. Su'A
13. Gillett

14. Staggs
15. Fifita
16. Flegler
17. Fensom/Taggers

I would be keen to go with Carrigan, but I feel like 4 essential rookies on the bench just isn't a good idea.
Carrigan doesnt really have the brain of a rookie tbh.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
So who are our starting props? If Lodge misses the game, who do we have? I know we have up and comers but we look fragile without Lodge. 0 and 2 to start the season is not what we want. Hopefully the old bull Taga kills it in the ISC and at least gives us one more experienced option at least. No, I didn't say pick him, just that a bench spot wouldn't be unreasonable if he performed and earned it.

Kimlo

International Captain
Brisbane
So who are our starting props? If Lodge misses the game, who do we have? I know we have up and comers but we look fragile without Lodge. 0 and 2 to start the season is not what we want. Hopefully the old bull Taga kills it in the ISC and at least gives us one more experienced option at least. No, I didn't say pick him, just that a bench spot wouldn't be unreasonable if he performed and earned it.
I'd say Fegler is going to see more time next week, possibly Carrigan to get included. If Carrigan is still held back we'll see Taga put the jersey on and score a double and if he does that we change the BHQ banner to a picture of Tagatese to honour his contribution to the best rugby league club in Queensland.

Splinter

NRL Player
Don’t know much about Paix but didn’t he play rep hooker last year in juniors. Maybe we should develop him as a hooker

Last edited:

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
I'd say Fegler is going to see more time next week, possibly Carrigan to get included. If Carrigan is still held back we'll see Taga put the jersey on and score a double and if he does that we change the BHQ banner to a picture of Tagatese to honour his contribution to the best rugby league club in Queensland.
I like you again now!

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Pretty sure Fensom is ahead of Taga so I'd expect to see him on the bench or maybe starting... with TPJ providing impact.

A starting middle of Ofa, Fensom and Gillett doesn't give me with a lot of confidence though.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Pretty sure Fensom is ahead of Taga so I'd expect to see him on the bench or maybe starting... with TPJ providing impact.

A starting middle of Ofa, Fensom and Gillett doesn't give me with a lot of confidence though.
Fensom isn't really a swap for Lodge. It's not like we have a battalion of genuine frontrowers. Taga's probably a long way behind now. He wasn't even named on the extended bench for the first game. Offa didn't offer much, if you'll forgive the pun, the other night. Would we really start with a real greenhorn? I just hope Taga sees a chance and has a blinder on the weekend or convinces Seibs to take a chance. Either way if it happened I'd hope he would do himself proud.

Stix

NRL Player

We're gonna get a bath if those three start.

McHunt

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
Well I certainly didn't expect your opinions to suddenly become good now. Your inability to give praise to something Boyd was involved with doesn't surprise me. It was so "bog average" that it was one of the only things that worked against the Melbourne Storm defense.
My apologies. I must've got confused by our inability to get anywhere near their line for most of the game, and the amount we were utterly outclassed. That straight-out-the-back movement was sheer genius. Only a mastercoach could've prepared them for it.

Kyall

NRL Player
Fensom isn't really a swap for Lodge. It's not like we have a battalion of genuine frontrowers. Taga's probably a long way behind now. He wasn't even named on the extended bench for the first game. Offa didn't offer much, if you'll forgive the pun, the other night. Would we really start with a real greenhorn? I just hope Taga sees a chance and has a blinder on the weekend or convinces Seibs to take a chance. Either way if it happened I'd hope he would do himself proud.
Offa made 114 run meters had 29 tackles and got anyway some good offloads so that’s not too bad in my books. He did sit on the sidelines for a long time as well.

Huge

State of Origin Rep
Ipswich
Offa made 114 run meters had 29 tackles and got anyway some good offloads so that’s not too bad in my books. He did sit on the sidelines for a long time as well.
Yes, probably overshadowed by Lodge so that might have had something to do with it. Fair stats. Any errors?

Mister Wright

NRL Player
I just don't believe that there'd be many suitors for him if he was available on the market. Some clubs might sign him as a stop gap but i would suggest most would prefer to look to their juniors, he isn't getting any younger and while he is great defensively, he really doesn't offer much in attack.

I get the argument that he was good enough to make a rep team, but by the end of the series a makeshift hooker was spending more time in the position than he was - not exactly a ringing endorsement is it?

What do you see in him that makes you think he is more than just a defensive sponge that kicks the occasional 40/20?
That was poor coaching on Walters’ part. QLD we’re all over NSW for the first 30 mins. Then Macca goes off and we have 2 tries scored against us. Watch again, and see how effective Macca was of getting forwards going, giving the halves the ball and great kicking game. We weren’t the same force when Hunt replaces him. We were lucky to get the win in the end. That was the day I ended wanting Walters as our coach, because he seems way to stuck in pre-game plans and not coaching the game for what is happening in the middle.

Tom

State of Origin Rep
Well obviously losing the ball close to the Storm's line then yelling at the ref until he got penalised doesn't count.
Would have been pissed off too. Hand clearly all over the ball. And that's the smile of a prick who knows he got away with cheating.

7:02

abashii

NRL Player
Deep Didgeridoo
Would have been pissed off too. Hand clearly all over the ball. And that's the smile of a prick who knows he got away with cheating.

7:02

Maybe, but regardless the refs aren't going to change their mind and yelling just gets them offside. And by giving away a penalty he stopped us even getting the chance to pin the Storm in on their own line. Hopefully Joe can learn from that.

Reactions: Tom

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
What’s pat mago doing? Is he injured? Seems to be well down the pecking order but did a good job last season off the bench

Sirlee oldman

QCup Player
If anyone moves to fullback it should be Bird. Put Boyd in the centres and leave Isaako on the wing. Isaako needs to go looking for work and get involved more on kick returns but he can do that from the wing and Bird is more experienced and a better ball player at fullback.