vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Lodge is looking at 2 weeks for his legs tackle

Bog average.

You raise a good point. We squandered the ball so badly we barely even got near their line last night.

I guess I was concatenating the previous trial. And it reminded me of every game Macca played last year.
Well I certainly didn't expect your opinions to suddenly become good now. Your inability to give praise to something Boyd was involved with doesn't surprise me. It was so "bog average" that it was one of the only things that worked against the Melbourne Storm defense.

There is lots to admire about McCullough, not least of all his passion for the Broncos and the unrelenting effort he puts in every time he puts the jersey on.

When he came into grade, he looked to have so much potential, but be it due to season ending injuries or a dip in form / confidence, it seems his best football may well and truly be behind him (I would gladly be wrong though). At 29, it’s quite possible he has worked himself to a standstill, which is not a good sign.

But don’t kid yourself, I very much doubt he is at the Broncos because they’re so interested in keeping him, as you put it. It is much more likely that it’s because there is no better option. He is our number 9 by default and unless he improves, I doubt he will ever play Origin again.

In my opinion, the Broncos would bench him, drop him to reserve grade or dispose of him in a heartbeat if a rookie was banging down the door or a better option became available that sat within the constraints of our cap.

But therein lays the problem; our cap limits us incredibly, because we have committed to other players on big money so have to compromise in other positions. At this point in time, hooker is one of those positions.

I can’t speak for last night but my criticism from Macca has always been how clunky he looks when he gets out from hooker to engage the markers. I can’t say this for certain but it seems like a lot of our forward’s hit ups are ran at the A and B defenders rather than working over the markers and targeting the spaces in and around the ruck.

Last edited:
I only saw two tries: one a bog standard pass-out-the-backline movement which was sluggish as buggery but came off, thanks to Corey Oates being hard to tackle. I can't even count that as a play. We practiced that in under 12's, when half of us could barely pass better than Macca.

The second, was an Oates intercept. Individual brilliance only.

Funny Joey Johns thought it was a good play , ummmm think I'll take his opinion over your's.

Farnsworth. He is a big kid, could be Oatesesque if given the chance. How good would it be to have two Oates on the wings.

Any of our depth wingers.

So long as he/they are ready (I know we have Kennar there, but can he even jump atm?). I want Boyd gone too, but that’s yet another rookie then ... **** it why not, gotta give them a crack I suppose. Every other club does

I can’t speak for last night but my criticism from Macca has always been how clunky he looks when he gets out from hooker to engage the markers. I can’t say this for certain but it seems like a lot of our forward’s hit ups are ran at the A and B defenders rather than working over the markers and targeting the spaces in and around the ruck.

THIS, and the fact that our kicking game still sucks big time.

My problem with Macca is largely that he doesn't direct the forwards by reading the game as Smith does. My problem with our kicking game is that we don't have a kicking game. It's just hoick on the 5th (or 4th or 3rd) without any thought or planning.

Last night, Munster showed exactly what a quality kicking is like. Time, and it really is time, for Milford to stand up and unleash some varied attacking kicks.

A few inside out passing plays wouldn't go astray either as the Storm showed last night.

Waiting patiently ...

I'd bring in Shibasaki for next game, assuming he's fit and plays decent for the Devils this weekend. I wasn't impressed at all by Staggs, he can't pass left to right and he was making some really poor positioning mistakes, in attack and defense.

1. Boyd
2. Oates
3. Shibasaki
4. Bird
5. Isaako
6. Milford
7. Nikorima
8. Ofahengaue
9. McCullough
10. Pangai Jr
11. Glenn
12. Su'A
13. Gillett

14. Staggs
15. Fifita
16. Flegler
17. Fensom/Taggers

I would be keen to go with Carrigan, but I feel like 4 essential rookies on the bench just isn't a good idea.

Carrigan doesnt really have the brain of a rookie tbh.

Carrigan doesnt really have the brain of a rookie tbh.

Not worried about him, just think the rest of he boys would benefit from having an experienced guy with them in the middle, probably Fensom.

Last edited:
So who are our starting props? If Lodge misses the game, who do we have? I know we have up and comers but we look fragile without Lodge. 0 and 2 to start the season is not what we want. Hopefully the old bull Taga kills it in the ISC and at least gives us one more experienced option at least. No, I didn't say pick him, just that a bench spot wouldn't be unreasonable if he performed and earned it.

So who are our starting props? If Lodge misses the game, who do we have? I know we have up and comers but we look fragile without Lodge. 0 and 2 to start the season is not what we want. Hopefully the old bull Taga kills it in the ISC and at least gives us one more experienced option at least. No, I didn't say pick him, just that a bench spot wouldn't be unreasonable if he performed and earned it.
I'd say Fegler is going to see more time next week, possibly Carrigan to get included. If Carrigan is still held back we'll see Taga put the jersey on and score a double and if he does that we change the BHQ banner to a picture of Tagatese to honour his contribution to the best rugby league club in Queensland.

Don’t know much about Paix but didn’t he play rep hooker last year in juniors. Maybe we should develop him as a hooker

Last edited:
I'd say Fegler is going to see more time next week, possibly Carrigan to get included. If Carrigan is still held back we'll see Taga put the jersey on and score a double and if he does that we change the BHQ banner to a picture of Tagatese to honour his contribution to the best rugby league club in Queensland.
I like you again now!

Pretty sure Fensom is ahead of Taga so I'd expect to see him on the bench or maybe starting... with TPJ providing impact.

A starting middle of Ofa, Fensom and Gillett doesn't give me with a lot of confidence though.

Pretty sure Fensom is ahead of Taga so I'd expect to see him on the bench or maybe starting... with TPJ providing impact.

A starting middle of Ofa, Fensom and Gillett doesn't give me with a lot of confidence though.
Fensom isn't really a swap for Lodge. It's not like we have a battalion of genuine frontrowers. Taga's probably a long way behind now. He wasn't even named on the extended bench for the first game. Offa didn't offer much, if you'll forgive the pun, the other night. Would we really start with a real greenhorn? I just hope Taga sees a chance and has a blinder on the weekend or convinces Seibs to take a chance. Either way if it happened I'd hope he would do himself proud.

We're gonna get a bath if those three start.

Well I certainly didn't expect your opinions to suddenly become good now. Your inability to give praise to something Boyd was involved with doesn't surprise me. It was so "bog average" that it was one of the only things that worked against the Melbourne Storm defense.
My apologies. I must've got confused by our inability to get anywhere near their line for most of the game, and the amount we were utterly outclassed. That straight-out-the-back movement was sheer genius. Only a mastercoach could've prepared them for it.

Active Now

• Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Sproj
  • Stix
  • Fozz
  • Foordy
  • Fitzy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • jd87
  • Johnny92
  • KateBroncos1812
  • GCBRONCO
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.