PRE-GAME Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

My biggest concern which I assume most people can see is how bad we are at being led around the park. I don’t think it’s all kodis fault either. Milford has to take some of the blame. These two have been working together for a couple of years now and we just look lost in attack half the time.

I look at how well the Rabbits got into position last night in attack and how well they were led around the park. It’s only round 1 and they already just look miles ahead of us. I have this really bad feeling that the Nikorima / Milford combination will just be the same year in year out. Moments of brilliance during the season but when it comes to the pointy end and the good teams we will drop our bundle and be horrible.

THIS, and the fact that our kicking game still sucks big time.

My problem with Macca is largely that he doesn't direct the forwards by reading the game as Smith does. My problem with our kicking game is that we don't have a kicking game. It's just hoick on the 5th (or 4th or 3rd) without any thought or planning.

Last night, Munster showed exactly what a quality kicking is like. Time, and it really is time, for Milford to stand up and unleash some varied attacking kicks.

A few inside out passing plays wouldn't go astray either as the Storm showed last night.

Waiting patiently ...
So your issue with our player is he's not as good as arguably the best player in many's opinions ever we've seen in the game.
Ok
My issue with Glenn is he isn't Sonny Bill, my issue with Milford is he's not as good a locky, issue with nikorima is he isn't Alfie, boyd isn't Slater..

Wait, that was all meant in sarcasm but I genuinely believe that's how y'all think

I think we need to look at how we got beaten in that game before we make changes. Considering we lost direction in kicking and leadership in the back line, a utility on the bench seems like a smart option. He can take advantage of the older tiring forwards the cowboys have.
I would also be looking at sustained pressure. Fensom would be in my team and starting for his defence, whilst I would be looking to push Glenn to the bench to even out the spread of experience, provided fiffita works on his defence.
Leave the others as they are for now, but work on the options around the middle in attack.

So your issue with our player is he's not as good as arguably the best player in many's opinions ever we've seen in the game.
Ok
My issue with Glenn is he isn't Sonny Bill, my issue with Milford is he's not as good a locky, issue with nikorima is he isn't Alfie, boyd isn't Slater..

Wait, that was all meant in sarcasm but I genuinely believe that's how y'all think

I am sure that how we all think is that without someone out in the middle to lead the forwards, and without someone with a good kicking game to keep the opposition under pressure,
this year will be yet another of excuses for failure, irrespective of the enormous talent in our ranks.

I am sure that how we all think is that without someone out in the middle to lead the forwards, and without someone with a good kicking game to keep the opposition under pressure,
this year will be yet another of excuses for failure, irrespective of the enormous talent in our ranks.

Seibold won't change combinations and move players around until he can justify to the playing group that certain players aren't working in certain positions. If he just came in after Wayne and dropped Macca, moved Boyd (the captain) to wing, dropped Niko to the bench or trained him as a full time hooker, etc then it would have a huge impact on morale especially when most of the squad have openly stated how much they like Bennett.

It's why he's said Niko needs to play like a half back and take control. Milf was doing everything a HB should be doing last year to the detriment of his game and the team's success. If Niko can't handle that he'll be gone. If Boyd is shit and Isaako is killing it (trial form and their performances in r1 suggest this will be the case) then he'll switch them.

Lodge has taken the early guilty plea.

I don't see why the Broncos wouldn't fight it. He had nothing to lose, he was going to be suspended for 2 games either way. The replay shows it wasn't as bad as it's made out to be.

My biggest concern which I assume most people can see is how bad we are at being led around the park. I don’t think it’s all kodis fault either. Milford has to take some of the blame. These two have been working together for a couple of years now and we just look lost in attack half the time.

I look at how well the Rabbits got into position last night in attack and how well they were led around the park. It’s only round 1 and they already just look miles ahead of us. I have this really bad feeling that the Nikorima / Milford combination will just be the same year in year out. Moments of brilliance during the season but when it comes to the pointy end and the good teams we will drop our bundle and be horrible.

For me that’s the job of the hooker, the hooker should be steering our forwards around and the halves should be organising the backs off of it.

I don't see why the Broncos wouldn't fight it. He had nothing to lose, he was going to be suspended for 2 games either way. The replay shows it wasn't as bad as it's made out to be.
Agree... But it would be trial by media with lodge. There was a tackle in the warriors vs bulldogs game before that was much worse on a player in the air. Much more intent to hit the legs. It will not get cited

I assume there was something to lose, perhaps more loading points if he lost? Would've been risking more potential weeks on the sideline later in the season.

It looks like some of our members on here are spot on in their criticism of Boyds performance as their comments have been echoed in the media. I wouldn't be surprised to see a shake up from Seibold later on if Boyd and McCullough don't improve their standard. McCullough will maintain his standard but I feel as though Seibold is used to a more dynamic hooker and will demand more. With Lodge out I see us as very vulnerable so we will need better from Boyd and McCullough especially. I think there's a few others that will need to pick up but I have a feeling some of the team played their game before they got on the field. We'll definitely be better next week but I don't think it will be enough.

I dont think we have a viable option to replace Macca. Boyd is a bit trickier. Issako is the obvious other option, but i still dont think he will cut it there personally. I'm still actually keen on seeing Bird at fullback. He was excellent there for the sharks.

I dont think we have a viable option to replace Macca. Boyd is a bit trickier. Issako is the obvious other option, but i still dont think he will cut it there personally. I'm still actually keen on seeing Bird at fullback. He was excellent there for the sharks.

Bird at fullback might be worth a try but we are a bit skinny for centres now that Jimmy is out. Are you saying that they should just do a straight swap with bird and boyd?

Lodge was our best on Thursday night with Oates a close second. Lodge genuinely looked like he was putting in for the jersey. Everyone else and their dog has had their say about Macca and Boydy. I have to say it's not just their form in game one this year, they both have had a full off-season (and the captain even said he'd never felt fitter) yet their shortcomings are exact same as last season.

It's early days, but it's very alarming that both have shown no sign of change from last year.

Do we keep them there because of the experience factor, or do we go all in and replace them both with rookies. They may be past their best, but perhaps their presence is invaluable to an otherwise inexperienced bunch of promising youngsters. Leaving them without any guidance on the field could cause long term damage tot heir confidence too.

Bird at fullback might be worth a try but we are a bit skinny for centres now that Jimmy is out. Are you saying that they should just do a straight swap with bird and boyd?

Could be a decent option at center.

Could be a decent option at center.
As I recall boyd played a couple of games there late last season but with Jimmy out I don't think siebs will want to make any more backline changes at the moment. I think he will be staying where he is for now.

Surely Carrigan will replace lodge. He has already scored today as well!

There is lots to admire about McCullough, not least of all his passion for the Broncos and the unrelenting effort he puts in every time he puts the jersey on.

When he came into grade, he looked to have so much
Surely Carrigan will replace lodge. He has already scored today as well!
It's good that he's going well the ladies but is he playing good footy

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Horseheadsup
  • Dash
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • winslow_wong
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.